Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D SpaceNavigator as a MIDI device for Quickshow

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    Hey master,
    I'm surprised you came to that conclusion. Which one did you use and for how long?

I agree, it is probably not the best tool for laser software in general but I would love to be able to use it while building models in Beyond.

I did find it took a couple of days to get the feel of using it but once I did I can't go back.

With a bit of patience and a gentle touch it can make your workflow much more enjoyable.

It saves so much time rotating zooming, panning the model your are working on. The dedicated and assignable keys on the SpacePilot Pro, SpaceExplorer and the recently released SpaceMouse Pro make a big difference too.

I think the SpaceMouse Pro would be the best as it has gotten rid of the LCD screen from the Pilot that isn't necessary and the buttons are bigger and more ergonomicly placed.

Ooops I'm thread jacking again.... Sorry Bart
    Been using it for nearly a month and oh god it was terrible, it doesn't benefit a modeler in any way.
    Also no it wont work with beyond, it has no intergration.
    A mouse is faster with zooming and panning.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    Been using it for nearly a month and oh god it was terrible, it doesn't benefit a modeler in any way.
    Also no it wont work with beyond, it has no intergration.
    A mouse is faster with zooming and panning.
    Which one are you using? There are a lot of people using them who would disagree.

Well, for CAD modeling in my experience they are fantastic. Maybe the integration for 3D graphics type software isn't as good.

Each to there own I guess.

Beyond, yes I know. That why I put the link to 3dconnexions software development kit in the hope that Pangolin might add support for them.

Quote Originally Posted by -bart- View Post
    Is LSX a VST host ?
    LSX is not currently a VST host, but it does support MIDI controls and HID Joystick controls, and apparently this device supports HID Joystick outptut.

Hi all,

Actually QuickShow has had *NATIVE* support for this device even before it was dawned with the name QuickShow (back when it was experimental softare before its initial release). We showed it at Prolight & Sound tradeshow probably four years ago. Maybe five...

This is the kind of thing that *seems* like it would be really cool and really handy but... it isn't. We also support it in our 3D software and our 2D/3D editor in BEYOND too. Again -- seems really cool, but the reality is a different story. We also use it with SolidWorks. One of our mechanical engineers really loves it, but he's been using it for a really long time. Our other mechanical engineer really hates it.

From my own standpoint, trying it in our 3D softwares, in QuickShow, and even in Solid Works, I'd say you really would have to get used to how it works. It's not the kind of thing you just walk up to and instantly know how to use. Probably like flying a 747 -- looks like it would be easy, because it has a "steering wheel" and two pedals, but the reality is different ;-)

If you have one, please contact me directly (by email, not the PL private message system which I do not use much) and I'll give you some information about enabling it.

Bill

I have one of these also. I bought it for solid works. I hate it.

Is sw your right hand is used on the mouse and your left hand is used for keyboard key commands.
    I am right handed domanant and trying to manipulate things in 3d space with my bad hand just doesn't work.

I suppose I could get used to one of the bigger ones with lots of buttons to do other things in the program but it would take a lot of time, and re training of muscle memmory. In addition to that the cheap one is too llight. It slides around and no amount of tuning can get it usable.

I agree with bill here. Looks good on paper, but.....

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi all,

Actually QuickShow has had *NATIVE* support for this device even before it was dawned with the name QuickShow (back when it was experimental softare before its initial release). We showed it at Prolight & Sound tradeshow probably four years ago. Maybe five...

This is the kind of thing that *seems* like it would be really cool and really handy but... it isn't. We also support it in our 3D software and our 2D/3D editor in BEYOND too. Again -- seems really cool, but the reality is a different story. We also use it with SolidWorks. One of our mechanical engineers really loves it, but he's been using it for a really long time. Our other mechanical engineer really hates it.

From my own standpoint, trying it in our 3D softwares, in QuickShow, and even in Solid Works, I'd say you really would have to get used to how it works. It's not the kind of thing you just walk up to and instantly know how to use. Probably like flying a 747 -- looks like it would be easy, because it has a "steering wheel" and two pedals, but the reality is different ;-)

If you have one, please contact me directly (by email, not the PL private message system which I do not use much) and I'll give you some information about enabling it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    I have one of these also. I bought it for solid works. I hate it.

Is sw your right hand is used on the mouse and your left hand is used for keyboard key commands.
    I am right handed domanant and trying to manipulate things in 3d space with my bad hand just doesn't work.

I suppose I could get used to one of the bigger ones with lots of buttons to do other things in the program but it would take a lot of time, and re training of muscle memmory. In addition to that the cheap one is too light. It slides around and no amount of tuning can get it usable.

I agree with bill here. Looks good on paper, but.....

Chad
    Hey guys. I've been using mine as we speak....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAD setup.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	616.6 KB 
ID:	30985

You have made me think Chad. I'm left handed, thats probably why I picked it up in a couple of days use. Woohoo! finally being left handed has an advantage
    I guess when you are left handed, the brain re-wiring process has to start when you are young as there are so many things you just cant use with your left hand. Cameras, vernier calipers, micrometers the list is endless.
    Also some things you just give up on. I use my mouse in my right hand because every computer you sit in front of will have it on the right. Also the more complex note progressions tend to be on the RHS of a piano too. Eventually with some things I can do them far better with my right hand now.

Wow Bill I'm excited to try using it with Beyond! incoming email.

Cheers
    kit

Now your just teasing us!!! Post some more details pics of that projector build! You think we wouldn't notice is sitting lower left of frame did ya?
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by dnar View Post
    Now your just teasing us!!! Post some more details pics of that projector build! You think we wouldn't notice is sitting lower left of frame did ya?
    oops busted!

I'll start a build thread seeing as I have actually built something now.

Stay tuned.

I got it working

The rbc9 driver from here.

use midigator stand alone edition.

I use loopbe1

Setup the rbc9 diver. The included bind file did not work for me, see the attached bind file

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rbc9.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	30991
    In midigator use loopbe as output device.

Name:	midigator SA.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	30992
    In QS use loopbe as the input device

Name:	QS1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	30993
    I used these midi mappings:

Name:	QS2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	30995
    Make sure loopbe is not muted for some reason.

Name:	loopbe.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	30990

Now you can control the size, position, and rotation, of your live output with one intuitive input device !
    Attached Files Attached Files