Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camlok connectors.

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

I could do with 4 plugs, pref matching colours and I'm after 4 panel mount connectors, but I can buy those if need be.

It's only two lines I need to run, it's for my latest "project"

I just looked at PowerLock, and maaaaaaan they are expensive!!!!

Sexy tho! (In a electrical connector sense you understand)

OK. Will have a dig next later this week when I get back to my shop and see exactly what I've got kicking around...

Not really sure I'd call them "sexy"... but they're big enough to....

OK, let's not go there
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

We love our cams! for touring theatre, at least, they're still going quite strong. The "Ban" that happened awhile ago (at least for us) didn't have to do with the connectors, but the cable. People were in the habit of using welding cable for mains voltage, and apparently, after awhile, the insulation on the nice and flexible welding cable breaks down and no longer, well, insulates.

that being said, I see some of the posi-lock and mag-lock cam connectors, but every venue that has these on a disconnect has a set of tails to turn them into regular cams. on my tour, I carry cam-terminated feeder with the ground and neutral flipped in gender, and a set of cam to bare wire tails, plus many, many barrels and cam turnarounds (male-male cam, female-female cam, and y's of both genders). Occasionally I'll see some of those Ginormous blue or red five wire connectors. Can't remember the name of them (c-5 maybe?), but when I played across the pond they seemed to be the standard for 3 phase power connection. Not counting China, of course. that was "find five wires and meter them" territory. Ever driven a chemical ground rod into a sewage pipe by accident? I have.

Not to Thread-jack any further, but it seems I have a 20' piece of what appears to be 4-aught feeder cable, cams on both ends. (some overachieving college student packed it into my feeder caddy without realizing it was theirs). Shipping would be a bitch to,well, anywhere, but if somebody needs it, let me know. Otherwise I'm donating it to my local and we'll turn it into audio tails.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    I'll see some of those Ginormous blue or red five wire connectors. Can't remember the name of them (c-5 maybe?), but when I played across the pond they seemed to be the standard for 3 phase power connection.
    Ceeform some call them "Commando" Example of 125A one here:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	125a.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	30937

Red = Three Phase
    Blue = Single phase
    Yellow = 110v Single

Us and our colourcodes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    Not to Thread-jack any further, but it seems I have a 20' piece of what appears to be 4-aught feeder cable, cams on both ends. (some overachieving college student packed it into my feeder caddy without realizing it was theirs). Shipping would be a bitch to,well, anywhere, but if somebody needs it, let me know. Otherwise I'm donating it to my local and we'll turn it into audio tails.
    I'm just after the connectors, no cable - I need special overly expensive coax.. (don't ask) So if shipping is under £20 then I'm your man!

Cheers,

Nige.
    "The horizon leans forward offering you space, to place New steps of change"

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Hey Sir Wook...

Oi, and this was prolly the same guy that 'finds himself' sticking his willy up the tailpipes of his cars, right? I'm not in any-way 'discrediting your testimony', here, but That's just so rediculous, that it's almost unbelievable to-hear.. (..that it could 'pass' un-contested / as-needing to be proven..) That's like saying, 'Don't walk too close to that wall with a fork, you'll fall right into that socket and electrocute yourself!!!' It's *rather difficult* to accidentally 'get your fingers on the metal'... You've got to pretty-well intentionally stick em in... Unless people are, like, running the mains-side w/ Males!

..If they've had 'issues' with live-camloks, on-stage, etc.. that's most-certainly not the camloks' fault.. That house just needs to hire new electrical-workers...
    that don't smoke meth for breakfast!

Whereas I can't comment on what Wookie said specifically about these connectors I can tell you that Health and Safety laws have gone crazy in the UK / EU.

For years now all EU electrical items have to come with a fitted plug because you're not allowed to wire your own on in case you do it wrong.

Coffee banned from mother's coffee mornings in case a child gets scalded:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-spill-it.html

Post boxes sealed in case postal workers hurt their back bending over to empty them:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-letters.html

Builders not allowed on the top 3 rungs of a ladder or to take more than one hand off at a time:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...irs-homes.html

Whilst not law, even the Olympics have been affected - doctor warning athletes not to shake hands with opponents in case it spreads germs:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oly...tish-team.html

You honestly wouldn't believe how ridiculous its all become.

Nige,

Blue Arran do some as well:

From £1.97 to £6.77 + P&P:

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?...eadnew=CeeForm

Nige check out Rotalock connectors as well: http://www.phase3.uk.com/products/rotalock.html

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    You honestly wouldn't believe how ridiculous its all become.
    Yeah, I hear ya... but... over here, we've got an idea or two about 'ridiculous regs'... I mean, 'regs' are a good-thing, in general (ie: guardrails on highways / seatbelts, etc etc etc..) but, frustratingly, things can / do, as you say, get taken to rediculous-extremes...

..why is it, throughout-history, that the most-ignorant are the ones that 'get to make all the rules' / enforce them? CEO = cerebrum-evacuated overlord

..Oh, sorry, Nige..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post

..Oh, sorry, Nige..
    j
    It's cool nice to have a popular thread!!

Check us with our health and safety, yet we don't do Variances
    "The horizon leans forward offering you space, to place New steps of change"

Quote Originally Posted by gashead View Post
    I just looked at PowerLock, and maaaaaaan they are expensive!!!!
    there are 2 alternatives to the VEAM originals

Phase - 3 from UK

Syntax Connectors by Valentini Italy

Both companies manufacture 100% PowerLock compatible connectors. The best prices comes most time from Italy....

Andreas