Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camlok connectors.

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Default Camlok connectors.

Does anyone know where I can buy some of these in the UK / EU ?

So far I can only find them available for sale on US based web sites and I don't wish to pay import Duty..

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...015_plugs.html

Cheers,

N.

PS:

These are in no way, will be used to further advance the wonderful art that is Dubstep.

http://www.stagelightingstore.com/St...s-Accessories/

http://www.plccenter.co.uk/Shop/CROU...GoogleShopping

Searching for E1015 produced better results. There are probably other places.
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Welding supply places also have them in the US might check to see if any in the EU do.

Yes welding leads use these.

How about these?
    http://www.olympustechnologies.co.uk...connectors.pdf

Good luck
    Kit

Hey Mr Gashead.

Just a FYI, but if you're intending to use these for anything in a public venue in Europe, be warned that recently the local authorities and HSE have been clamping down on their use as mains connectors.
    Until recently these were pretty standard issue heavy duty three phase connections for large touring gigs.
    Unfortunately, someone pointed out that when not connected, it's pretty easy to get your fingers on the metal bits that carry voltage and despite our general objection (as an industry on mass) that no one in the industry would be stupid enough to leave them lying around un-connected with the electrikery turned on, they got banned by pretty much every country in the EU (including the UK and I'm told certain States in the US).
    This caused alot of consternation as they're pretty damned expensive and the official replacement the VEAM 'powerloc' connectors, cost nearly £1000 a set of five (three phases plus neutral and earth). One local company I know ended up having to spend in the region of £250K to replace their stock as you now get turned away at venues if you asked to get them wired in...
    No electrikery = No Gig! But the HSE don't care because it's safer that way!

I'm not sure if you're still allowed to use them for other applications, like welding, but I'm sure the information can be found if that's what you're after them for... Just don't expect to get away with running them for mains connections...

For a cheap option on sourcing them, keep an eye on eBay as they turn up on there sometimes when someone finds old stock.
    Actually, I might have some old ones in a box at the back of my unit waiting for me to weigh them in for scrap (as they're pretty much a big lump of copper and aluminium) so I'll have a rummage and see if you still want them after my little tirade

Let me know if you still want them or want to go for Powerloc instead and I'll have a dig or point you at a UK stockist for Veam
    If in doubt... Give it a clout?

Question wow...

Hey Sir Wook...

Quote Originally Posted by WookieBoy View Post
    Unfortunately, someone pointed out that when not connected, it's pretty easy to get your fingers on the metal bits that carry voltage...
    Oi, and this was prolly the same guy that 'finds himself' sticking his willy up the tailpipes of his cars, right? I'm not in any-way 'discrediting your testimony', here, but That's just so rediculous, that it's almost unbelievable to-hear.. (..that it could 'pass' un-contested / as-needing to be proven..) That's like saying, 'Don't walk too close to that wall with a fork, you'll fall right into that socket and electrocute yourself!!!' It's *rather difficult* to accidentally 'get your fingers on the metal'... You've got to pretty-well intentionally stick em in... Unless people are, like, running the mains-side w/ Males!

..If they've had 'issues' with live-camloks, on-stage, etc.. that's most-certainly not the camloks' fault.. That house just needs to hire new electrical-workers...
    that don't smoke meth for breakfast!

...and despite our general objection..they got banned by pretty much every country in the EU (including the UK and I'm told certain States in the US).
    Please clarify what you heard about the US.. Again, not 'discrediting your testimony', here, ..but, a 'ban' on cams, here, would most-certainly cause riots... They're in virtually every 'house' / arena / stadium in the country! The only 'known objection' / Regs I am aware-of, is for theaters, specifically, where the electric is supposed to be permanent, then, it needs to be in conduit... Temporary (..even long-term 'temp') feeders to distros, etc are nearly almost-always fed from cams, here... and gig after gig, Passes supervising-Electrician inspection / Fire Marshals, etc, routinely... So..

..But I'm certainly not trying to attempt to 'speak' on the Regs, over there.. just commenting that that's... just... unbelievably-stupid and baseless..
    I'm really-surprized to hear of any 'widespread-acceptance' of-that... here, you'd have revolt, for sure..

cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hey j

Weirdly enough, it was an American Co, operating on an Arena tour over here who told me they were banned in some States in the US... However, it's hearsay only so I'm happy to be corrected
    But unfortunately, it seems we now legislate for the 'meth-smokin shallow end of the gene pool' in the EU and so must keep them all safe...

If you turn up to pretty much any Theatre, Arena, Stadium or even some festivals here now with camloc connectors for your power distro, you'll usually get told to go away.
    Firmly, but politely.
    And in Europe, depending on the country, they might offer you a pancake/waffle/glass of wine/kick n the head as a consolation.
    Some of the nicer venues here keep a basic stock of distro in house for the odd occasions when this still happens and will rent it you for the show at a price (which usually fluctuates depending on how much damage you did to the house sparky when he told you you couldn't plum your camlocs into his supply ) but they're pretty much the exception and becoming rarer as the news gets round that 'cams are bad hmmmmkay'

Annoying and has been exceedingly expensive changing all mine over (fortunately I don't have that much HEAVY mains yet, unlike some of the bigger co's like PRG) but that seems to be the way it is now I'm afraid... Having said that, I do like the PowerLoc connectors more than the cams... Just not sure there was really any need to legislate the changeover...

Weirdly enough, it was an American Co, operating on an Arena tour over here who told me
    Eek, well.. looks like I've got some homework to do... Fortunately for us, we haven't run into it, xcept for an occasional 'extra-fussy' house, that will want the distros to only-be of a certain make / model, etc.. But, of course, we're not running tours for Coldplay or U2, either...

..Thinking our own 'Mr Coffee' and/or 'ShawnB' and others, that are a bit 'harder-core' into the touring-circuit, might have some insights, etc..

Having said that, I do like the PowerLoc... Just not sure there was really any need to legislate the changeover...
    Hmm.. would be 'interesting' to see if any of the 'PowerLoc BOD' has any 'ties' to the Guv-Guv / lobbiests, etc.. That kind of shyte is plenty-rampant, over here, I tell ya...

Anyhoo, cheers, and, I guess it's off to search the whole of the current house-rules, ST by ST..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

gashead is offline Admin Verified: Best Accent Ever(Tm)

Hey, thread jackers!!

I'm not intending to use them as mains connectors, however the application is probably just as lethal. (Whatyah recon J?)

Cooper do make a range of camloks that look like the "live" part is protected, I'll also check out PowerLoc, and see if I can find some for the application... maybe this explains why I can't find them for sale here.

Cheers Wooks for the Legal insight. Don't suppose the production company you speak of who spent £250k have a few Camloks going spare ?

Cheers all for replies so far!

Sorry for the threadjacking rant :-)

No, they don't... But I do.

Seems I've got a full set of phase colours as plugs, but no sockets...

Any use to you?