Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A-140 vs. M-140 vs. H-1600

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    Hmm.. I allways select my diodes for beam quality and efficiency, this would explain the much higher output of some.

Sorry. I'm not sure what you are saying here

Peace,
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by daguin View Post
    Sorry. I'm not sure what you are saying here

Peace,
    dave
    I always measure the raw power of a diode (without optics) @ 1000mA and keep the diodes that output > 1200mW, plus I look for a nice symmetrical beam pattern. Pick the best sell the rest. It's worth the effort, after all these aren't high end diodes, there are major fluctuations in quality.
    So I figured these newer diodes would explain the higher output levels I’ve been observing.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    I always measure the raw power of a diode (without optics) @ 1000mA and keep the diodes that output > 1200mW, plus I look for a nice symmetrical beam pattern. Pick the best sell the rest. It's worth the effort, after all these aren't high end diodes, there are major fluctuations in quality.
    So I figured these newer diodes would explain the higher output levels I’ve been observing.

Do you understand that we are talking about different diodes that came out with a newer model of the projectors?

There are not any of the newer diodes in the XJ-A??? series of projectors that we have yet seen

Are you getting your diodes from at least an XJ-M??? series projector

Peace,
    dave

As an up date, do we have any data on the 9mm versions of the 445. DTR seems to be the first to have harvested any of these.

The manufacturers are not going to be very helpful, so is there any accumulating knowledge in the community about other manufacturers than C. that we might source these from?

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    As an up date, do we have any data on the 9mm versions of the 445. DTR seems to be the first to have harvested any of these.

The manufacturers are not going to be very helpful, so is there any accumulating knowledge in the community about other manufacturers than C. that we might source these from?
    We are just getting these 9mm diodes distributed for testing

Give us a week or so

I think DTR has some preliminary info posted, but it is mostly, "Yep, that's bright blue alrighty"

Peace,
    dave

Sorry for the double post, but I got my portion of the new 9mm diodes today
    I de-canned one.
    It looks like I'll be sending it out for some macro shots
    Here is my line drawing of the interior

The dark vertical lines are the posts
    The center "shaded" line is the die/crystal

You can see there are still four "current"
    wires (like the M-series and the H-series)

However, you can also see an ESD protection circuit
    The fifth wire, in the middle, from the post to your right, bypasses the die
    It is connected to an SM component
    It "bridges" the anode and cathode

I'll be sending it out for macro shots

Incidentally, there is no case pin on these 9mm diodes
    They are two-pin diodes

Peace,
    dave

Dave that is awesome. So it is definitely different than the M140's. Now if the fifth wire is just ESD protection it may still only be capable of the same output as the M140's unless the gauge of the wires is different. Appreciate you tearing one apart for this information.

DTR,

I do not have a macro set up but I do have a video inspection microscope. So although I can reach higher powers I have less depth of field. Because I will be ordering some of the M diodes from you if you do kill an M that has been de-canned send it along and if anyone has a dead 9mm I can attempt to measure the wires themselves. Also, has anyone confirmed or even examined the emitter dimensions?

There is a *very* expensive microscope here at work that takes incredible pictures. It's used for circuitry component failure analysis along with an X-ray machine (which is also pretty cool- you can see inside an IC chip) . I might be able to use it on a lunch-hour or so , if you-all would like ..

Yes that is the right idea. If you know how or can get a few pointers, the associated software will allow you to analyze the image. You don't need anything super sophisticated just some measurement features.

I don't know where you work, but do they also have IC probes that would allow you to measure the resistance of the bond wires?