Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I buy eye protection for laser beams?

WOW, another CPFer... 8) We need CPF smilies here... :roll:

check ebay.

spectronika have goggles for dpss lasers as well, might be worth checking em out
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I think I need a google to use on my 1.2W laser :roll: :roll:

but OFF-topic: allthatwhichis: I think that your "big-picture" on your Signature was some kind of big :roll:
    The picture was pretty nice but when you reply more than 2-3 times in a threat it fill up my window....

If it`s no big deal for you, can you maybe make it smaller, ore remove it?

I think it will be crazy if everyone get a pic so big as yours there.... so hope you dont get angry or anything on me... well thanx..

just found these. The price seems right, but the goggles are a bit on the ugly side

These also work Try the triple coated YAG model and the Kr & HeNe model. Even uglier that the previous :P
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

I was following the rules... I think I got it right. How bout a compromise, I'll only attatch it to my first reply and try to remember to turn it off on every other reply/post in a thread I do afterwards. I hang around a few computer overclocking forums and we are requiered to have a signature to get assistance. We list all our components so people know what you got when you are asking for help. We tend to make them stick out and original. It's a habit I take to all forums and it kinda defines me. I'll try to make something a little better when I get my scanners in.

And Yes, you need goggles for that BEAST... 8)

thanx dude

Aaah I understand... that was not so stupid to have the setup in the signature...
    But I only think that a pic was OK to have in the avatar so we can try to have it clean and easy in here..

But again.. thanx for understanding.. and yes you did follow the rules in here!
    As we dont have that many rules yet, becouse there have never been a need to make any rules actually.
    Everybody that is here is acting like a pro anyway... I did like that RGB setup picture, so why not upload them on the gallery :P

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by jkaiser3000
    just found these. The price seems right, but the goggles are a bit on the ugly side

These also work Try the triple coated YAG model and the Kr & HeNe model. Even uglier that the previous :P
    The spectronika ones are a better choice here as they protect against stray 1064nm light, that should be filtered out..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Little late getting to this thread, so my apologies in advance.

RE: using welding goggles. Don't. Period. Most of them are only designed to filter out the harmful UV produced by the arc. They are NOT designed to filter visible light. (They do filter some visible light, of course, but the OD rating is for the UV spectrum.) You can't be certain how much they will filter of a given wavelength. (If you absolutely must use a pair, TEST THEM FIRST with a power meter using the specific wavelengths you need to guard against.)

As far as multi-wavelength goggles go, you could (in theory) make a set of goggles that would filter out 650 nm, 532 nm, and 473 nm. You'd need *very* expensive dichroic filters with *very* narrow filtering characteristics. But it could be done. You'd end up seeing light from around 620 nm through about 550 nm, plus a narrow slot between 510 nm and 490 nm, and finally everything from about 440 nm on up... It would probably look pretty goofy, and the goggles would be STUPIDLY expensive, but there isn't any realy reason apart from cost that would prevent you from making them.

However, it is far more common to simply wear goggles that are either broadband argon (they filter everything from about 550 nm on up through near UV), or broadband red (everthing from about 600 nm on down to just past 700 nm or so). If you have multiple lasers, you wear one set of goggles while you have the other laser off, and then when you switch lasers you switch goggles as well. (And as someone already mentioned, if you wore both pair at the same time you wouldn't see anything...)

The only other option is a neutral-density filter. But even here, you need to be careful, because cheaper ND filters can have peaks at specific wavelengths. If you want to use a neutral density filter you need to test them at the specific wavelengths of the lasers you want to guard against.

Adam

When I mentioned welding goggles I was using them as an example of different ammounts of light being let through.
    I wasn't suggesting using the welding goggles as I also wasnt suggesting using sun block :lol:

Jim

That was me... I know of someone who used them for a 100mW green because he didn't have anything else. He said he could barely see his laser with them on and said they were supposed to block all wavelengths. I also said someone else would have to try it and report back before I'd do it. :P

Didn't one of the links provided have a "white" light set for 65EUR? That's not too bad for a set that'll protect from all wavelengths. May have to do a group buy on those. They're even sexy like my green ones... :lol: What is 65EUR in USD? :?