Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where can I buy eye protection for laser beams?

$82.95 at todays rate.
    Currency converter here.

Jim

I know welding goggles are used to watch the sun (which produces plenty of UV and IR) during eclipses, but they're only used for direct vision, no telescope or binoculars. These goggles should be shade 12 or 14, not lower, and do protect against UV and IR.

Then again, I mention this only for practical knowledge . Those goggles should not be used for lasers as I said before. They block the light too much, making everything else invisible, so you can't see anything but the dot. In fact, I'd say it's actually more dangerous, but only because of your tendency to take them off so you can see better, risking stray reflections getting into your eyes.

RE the spectronika goggles, I actually intended to make that comment too, those are better as they protect agains 532nm, 808nm and 1064nm. And they're pretty inexpensive too. Wicked's are better looking, though :lol: , and they have been discounted. Check them out.
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

yes ,if one 5mW laser light shoot on our eyeball for 1 second , the eye will be burst heart , and will not see anything . different color light different wavelength need different googles to protect our eyes !

So we need it , eyes are our little window of our heart ! hehe :lol:

Default Sorry , clerical error

last topic , have a little clerical error , just is burn or burnt , but I wrote burst , so sorry , just so humiliatory! ops:

Please understand! ops:

It's true that welding goggles can be used to view the sun. However, if you do the calculations, you'll find that a measly 5mw laser with a 2mm diameter beam has *much* greater power density vs. the sun. This is why welding goggles are NOT SAFE to use when you need to protect your eyes against laser light. They simply aren't rated for that sort of viewing.

Have a look at this specific section of Sam's laser FAQ for a more detailed look at the brightness of the sun compared to a common laser. You'll be surprised! (I was, back when I first read that passage years ago.) Just because something will protect you from the sun doesn't mean it will protect you from a laser. Laser safety goggles must adhere to strict controls when it comes to how much light at *specific* wavelengths is allowed to pass. (This is one reason why they're so expensive... The other reason is that they sell a lot fewer laser goggles than welding goggles!)

It hurts to look at the sun, which is why most people don't damage their vision by looking at the sun. After a second or two it becomes really painful and you look away. But a laser is powerful enough to cause damage BEFORE you have time to blink. This is where the danger lies. You can't rely on your pain reflex to save your vision. (Well, at least not for the more powerful lasers.) That's why goggles are a must.

Adam