Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The history of Laser show controllers and software, post your contributions here.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I bought some AOMs from him in the early 2000s and chatted back and fourth with him via e-mail several times. Really nice guy with a ton of old-school laser history under his belt!
    Gary is an awesome guy. Early 2000s, he rebuilt an Omni 150 PSU for me. I drove down to his place place in the San Diego area to pick it up. We got talking about lasers in general and he took me into one of his garages and showed me some of the laser gear he had acquired throughout the years. Now, when I say garage, I am talking about one of those buildings you see on American Pickers. This thing was loaded to the gills with glassblowing stuff, mills, lathes, PSU cabinets for large-frame ions, and just awesome junk that ranged from cars to x-ray machines. A month in there would not have been enough time!

As I was leaving, a female vocalist showed up to lay down some music for one of his upcoming albums. Like most mad geniuses, he was a bit off-kilter. Super nice guy and a lot of knowledge!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Are you still in contact with him?

Any chance you might be able to convince him to come to SELEM next year?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Are you still in contact with him?
    Sadly, no. I'm not sure how to contact him nowadays but his is still selling glasswares on ebay. Username: qazxcdew
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Laser Warning Laser Media Website

Here is an interesting website paying tribute to older laser companies such as Laser media Inc.
    http://lasermedia.info/

Others to follow are:
    Laserium
    Laser Systems Development Corp
    Science Faction
    Laser Physics
    Image Engineering
    Laser Works
    and more . . .

I don't have a chance to participate here on PL as much as I used to, and I haven't looked at this thread for a while. But I do believe that this list still has a few holes in it -- at least from the standpoint of Pangolin's software releases and developments.

Although our new web site has all of the information relevant to customers today, we've maintained our previous website for historical purposes. It can be found at www.PangolinLegacy.com. There you will find a page that details a lot of our own developments before QuickShow and BEYOND:
    https://pangolinlegacy.com/LD2000/so...innovation.htm

Although this page shows LSD1000 being distributed in 1988, there was an earlier version called LSD256 that was being used as early as 1986.

QuickShow was released November 2009 and BEYOND was released in July of 2011.

Nevertheless this thread shows an enormous number of products that have come and gone, and many companies that have also come and gone too, including large iconic companies such as Laser Media, Image Engineering and Laser Images.

The companies were founded, and the products were made by passionate people, who contributed greatly to the five decade history of laser special effects. All of these contributors are deserving of our appreciation for their drive and passion!

I'm really happy that after 35 years, Pangolin is still around and still serving customers. And although we've officially discontinued support for our LSD256/LSD1000, LD400 and Lasershow Designer for Windows software products, and our QM8, QM16, and QM32 hardware boards, we still do get support questions for these from time to time, and we try our best to support customers with these products.

I look forward to continuing to see this laser history thread grow, as it documents the contributions of passionate people all around the world who are dedicated to laser art.

Best regards,

William Benner

Really sad that so many software companies went down the drain. A shame that Phoenix isn,t arround anymore. Wait a second wasn,t that company bought by Pangolin with a PROMISE that Phoenix users/clients would be supported for a long time? Well we all know how that went.... But you can,t argue that its not helping as we help them to new software and it brings more money in. WIN-WIN situation right

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Had to check my records. Spaghetti still going after 13 yrs when first license was delivered.

Had to check my records. Spaghetti still going after 13 yrs when first license was delivered
    Now that is what i call rugged

I started on LaserBoy in October 2003 and the first public release was 13 years ago on April 28th 2008.

I spent several hours on the code today.

Still free.
    Still awesome.
    Still not listed.
    Last edited by james; 05-12-2021 at 15:03.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I love to see a software that is pure dedicated to beamshows which each function or button can be entirely assigned to each brand of midi controller. 95% of all software has a huge part of programming and time line part in them while that can be done with beyond for example. But 95% of the users push buttons on a midi controller/laptop/touchscreen. Programming pangoscript to your own chosen midicontroller that you like instead of an APC is a pain in the ....... I really like moncha because its practical but its only a small portion of the functions can be assigned to buttons or sliders on the midi controller. Its great for live shows but they aren,t there yet in my opinion. Just my 2 cents....