Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The history of Laser show controllers and software, post your contributions here.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Laser Media Zap. Zap ran on a Z80 on a S100 Bus, controlled by a dumb terminal.
    http://leftbrain.us/rotherHistory/lasermedia.html

Steve
    ...page out of a ZAP manual.

PRESS W FOR SNEAKY ELF!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sneakyelf.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	40812

Quote Originally Posted by Photonbeam View Post
    Oh right! I had one of those Bytemares. Used a Commodore with plug in cartridges. Made by Craig C./Laser Dreams. Acquired from Paul R. in a trade. Was actually pretty cool then.
    This system has now cost me thousands. I knew nothing of lasers but collected commodore gear. I acquired one of these in an auction lot. Searching led me to PL as dream beamz had one. And the rest is history.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    This system has now cost me thousands. I knew nothing of lasers but collected commodore gear. I acquired one of these in an auction lot. Searching led me to PL as dream beamz had one. And the rest is history.
    Haha..I hear ya. I used one of those portable suitcase Commodore SX computers with built in keyboard, color monitor and floppy drive with the Bytemare system. I think the cost of equipment back then kept the competition down. Plus most of us invented our own hardware and wrote our own software and everyone was very secretive, being careful not to let anyone see inside your projector. Of course the controllers, projectors and file formats were not compatible with each other (no ILDA standard). Now anyone can buy anything off the shelf (cheap) and get into the lasershow business.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have a one off, made in late 80s by Rick Just, runs on a C64, and was out just before Bytemares.
    XY-RGB off the user port.
    Doesn't have a name, but I have source code and the hardware schematic. Karl has the hardware some where.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Craig C. was one of the first people I met when I moved to California in '81. He was at Liconix when I applied for a job, but left before I eventually got one there.

PM19 & PM20 was made by a guy in UK. I used these when I was working for Laser Magic in 1990.
    Laser Point from UK was making the Aries 1n the 80'and the Aquarius in the 90'.
    I think that Laser Point where the first ones to do a laser show for a concert for The Who in the 70'.
    Laser Media from Los Angeles had the Imagine and than the Imagine 2.

Aricha

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    ...page out of a ZAP manual.

PRESS W FOR SNEAKY ELF!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sneakyelf.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	40812

Hmp. I have an IMSAI 8080, wonder if that S100 stuff would run on it?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

ZAP drives a custom output card with x-y-z rotation done in multiplying DACs. Without the card, not worth doing. All ZAP does is manipulate data stored on Eproms on cards. It can do some spectacular things, but at the end of the day, its just bank after bank of encrypted eproms.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by aricha View Post
    PM19 & PM20 was made by a guy in UK. I used these when I was working for Laser Magic in 1990.
    Laser Point from UK was making the Aries 1n the 80'and the Aquarius in the 90'.
    I think that Laser Point where the first ones to do a laser show for a concert for The Who in the 70'.
    Laser Media from Los Angeles had the Imagine and than the Imagine 2.

Aricha
    Wasn't it Laser Images (Laserium) with the Imagen? You can read about the history of The Who's lasers here.

You are right - It was the Laser Media "Imagen" running ZAP. What was the Laser Images graphics system called?