Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The history of Laser show controllers and software, post your contributions here.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Syrah,

You should be civil to Bill. Generally everybody in this industry, including the die hard ILDA Format holdouts, ends up with something Pangolin anyways...

Often it is because a large client insists upon it.

Steve
    I have to agree with you Steve.

Bill might have seen this as an opportunity to throw in a few words of company promotion alongside his correction of the history, but equally people should remember the industry wouldn't be where it is today without BB or Pangolin. Many of the innovations we see today that make modern shows possible have come from Pangolin, such innovations as Projection Zones and Beam Attenuation Mapping to name just two, and some of those such as those relating to safety, BB chose not to patent for the good of the industry.

Come off it Alan,

The Laser show business is much more than the one man you worship or his company.

The industry as you call it has been exploding over the past decade due to many factors, mainly the dropping of SSL prices. Mr Benner I am sure would agree that Pangolin has benefited hugely by the mass production of Chinese projectors.

Anyway, do you have anything to contribute to the thread like, some unknown Laser control system we are not aware off maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Can you post some photos of it.
    I'm assuming you meant the laser, not pics of waking up folks at 2AM with a laser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1960002.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	50563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1960003.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	4.93 MB 
ID:	50562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1960001.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.87 MB 
ID:	50564

The little guy even has an actuator with a burst grating which added another level of fun. Oh and apparently I lied about the acquisition date as it wasn't built until the following year:

Name:	S1960007.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	50565

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Come off it Alan,

The Laser show business is much more than the one man you worship or his company.
    Get off you high horse Andy. It's long been known you didn't like BB or Pangolin, and it's not about liking or disliking either, it's about recognising the contribution they've made to the industry and realising that without their innovation, the industry would be a lot less advanced than it is today. There are many features found in many software's that can be attributed to Pangolin. Yes one company doesn't make the industry, but equally one company is responsible for a lot of the advances.

As for the promotional words, maybe even his supporters don't agree with that in this thread, but neither do you don't get to censor PL so suck it up.

I don't use Beyond primarily due to the price-point (it would cost approximately US$10K to migrate my environment to Pangolin SW/HW), but its hard to deny a stunning run by the company in recent years on several fronts.

I currently own 7 sets of Compact 506's which when combined with the X-Laser amp results in the smallest footprint of any decent set of scanners that I'm aware of. I have lots of Lasorbs, safetyscan lenses and I've even got a set of those stunning Saturn 1b's on the way (which run 50% faster than the next fastest reasonable option). All of this hardware is sold at a price that is reasonable in my book. Speaking of books, for a mere $0.99, you can get a fascinating book on scanning and associated technologies by BB. I just completed it today and truly enjoyed reading it.

Personally, if I had introduced any one of the products I just mentioned, I'd find it hard not to be a bit 'braggy' from time to time so I'm more than willing to cut Bill some slack.

-David

Hilarious Alan white-light, Trying to create some justification for my opinion.

Actually I admire Bill and Pangolin products which I have used for many years to earn a Ton of money.

I also admire many others who have "Also contributed" to the Laser Show business. Shall we start to name them also or do you prefer we write only names which begin with a B or P, like Monotheism.

I admire you for also having so much time to contribute via ( Thread and forum hijacking ). I am also wondering how much is the salary to be a thread and forum spammer :-)
    https://www.showeditor.com/en
    http://laseranimation.com/en/products/lasergraph-dsp

As I wrote.. The Laser show business is much more than the one man you worship or his company.

The industry as you call it has been exploding over the past decade due to many factors, mainly the dropping of SSL prices. Mr Benner I am sure would agree that Pangolin has benefited hugely by the mass production of Chinese projectors.

Anyway, do you have anything to contribute to the thread like, some unknown Laser control system we are not aware off maybe?
    Last edited by andyf97; 08-19-2016 at 18:19.

can we please have one thread that isn't derailed by BB/Pangolin posts? please? I beg you guys, just this one... pretty please?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I'm assuming you meant the laser, not pics of waking up folks at 2AM with a laser.

Name:	S1960002.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	4.32 MB 
ID:	50563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1960003.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	4.93 MB 
ID:	50562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S1960001.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	4.87 MB 
ID:	50564

The little guy even has an actuator with a burst grating which added another level of fun. Oh and apparently I lied about the acquisition date as it wasn't built until the following year:

Name:	S1960007.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	50565

-David
    very cool! I remember drooling over those in the MWK catalog... still been trying to pick one up but when they come up on ebay people ask wayyyyyy too much $$$ for them

Here's another old laser scanner from the mid-'80s. It's the Summa Star, including a Spectra-Physics 105 he-ne laser.

Name:	SummaStar.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	391.9 KB 
ID:	50582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SummaStar Front.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	561.3 KB 
ID:	50583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SummaStar Top.jpg 
Size:	544.1 KB 
ID:	50584

And here's one from the Russian Federation. It's the model LS-3500-10 light show projector from 1994. This evaluation sample was donated to the collection by Casey Stack, and again includes a he-ne laser.

Name:	Russian LS-3500-10.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	50586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russian LS-3500-10 inside.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	274.8 KB 
ID:	50587Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Russian LS-3500-10 scanners.jpg 
Size:	359.9 KB 
ID:	50588

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    very cool! I remember drooling over those in the MWK catalog... still been trying to pick one up but when they come up on ebay people ask wayyyyyy too much $$$ for them
    Yeah, I've seen some crazy prices too. I thought of selling mine, but I have an irrational attachment to it. Its the only laser I purchased over the first 10+ years that wasn't a major disappointment.

-David