Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Noob Advice

You could ask X Laser how much extra the Mobile Beat would be with DT40 scanners - explain you want to do graphics but can't afford a Skywriter.

I'm sure not long ago they custom built one for someone on here.

SWEET! Ya I didn't know they could do that thanks man! Hey just out of curiosity about what kind of distance do you think I'll be able to project with that laser? it says 200 feet but is 450mw bright enough to be visible at those distances?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Where is the US are you located? I didn't know if there might be someone to SHOW you an example or, delve more deeply into your question. "Project"... Is that projecting a graphic on something 200 feet away or, are you wondering if the beams will still be visable and vibrant at 200 feet?

450mW total combined RGB at 200 feet isn't going to be particularly impressive with either one but will be better for beams than graphics and, the people at 50-75-100 feet will be more impressed than those at 200. You'd be better with 450mW of completely 532 at those distances.

I'm in Kansas City, That's if the beams will be visible, I kinda figured the graphic would still show up.

That was the other thing I was going to mention. The amount of ambient light and the amount of haze/fog in the atmosphere will play a huge part in how well you could adequately cover 200 feet with beams. The problem you're going to run into with graphics is the fact that the further away the projector is, the more the beam spreads. Imagine if you will, looking at the output on lines/curves on a wall at 50 feet as being a normal weight font. BOLD At 100 feet maybe it's now BOLD at 150 it's BIGGER AND BOLDER (except not as bright) finally at 200 feet it's BIGGER STILL BUT FAINTER

Ok ya I understand what your saying that makes sense. So I emailed X-Laser and this is what they had to say

Thank you for contacting us Kyle, unfortunately we cannot install DT-40 scanners into the Mobile Beat series of lasers. There simply isn't enough space in the housing to install them and allow for proper ventilation to keep the unit cool. The Mobile Beat series of lasers was designed for simple graphics and stunning aerial effects. If the majority of your intended shows are aerial effects or "beam shows" 15K scanners are a great low cost solution for many, if you intend to do primarily projected graphics and text our Skywriter line is better suited towards that purpose.

Thanks again for the contact and please feel free to call or email with any other questions you may have!

I manage a facility where the ballroom is 104' x 68', I usually have the lasers somewhere along the 68' width and am terminating roughly 100 feet away max. with beams. I know what 220mW RGB looks like in that space, 450mW RGB, 700mW RGB, 1.7 watts of RGB, 2.4 watts of RGB and 3 watts RGB. I don't know that I would be comfortable selling a single RGB laser effect to someone in my venue much less than 2.4 watts with my lighting and a non obnoxious amount of haze. I can't fathom having to double that to 200 feet. You may need to get creative and instead of terminating on a wall 200 feet away, rear project through scrim. It's a bit more work with angles and more equipment to lug around and set up/monitor but, that could be a way to do it.
    I know RGB is what you desire but, if your really considering a space of that size, I'd go with as much 532nm as you can afford. Green is most visable to the eye and you need considerably less power in order to be effective than you do with the red and blue.

I was responding during your post but, I was going to steer you towards the skywriter series perhaps. The newest 2012 models are reportedly being sold with even faster scanners if I remember correctly.

O my bad man no I was just curious on how far the beams would be visible at 200 lol No the Space I'd be in would be 100 ft probably MAX mostly like 50 60 ft range smaller venues , clubs bars ext

O.k, that's more do-able.

Just had a "duh" moment. Take a look at this:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-6W-green-0-9W

One of the Spectrum 1.6's could be a good point of entry into this money pit. With the exchange rate and shipping, I think you're still a touch below $5k. Things are in the works to get the Kvants certified in the US from what I understand but, I have NO idea on a timetable yet so, you HAVE to take that into consideration. You have to make a modification or two such as an emission indicator but, it's something to think about.