Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: ML501P73-2, a capless 638nm 5.6mm 500mW Red Laser Diode - Test results.

im giving laseevr advice on a module they make.
    What lenses do they need to make/buy or other stuff to make a dual and quad build have less mrad and a small beam size?
    Do not give Lasever any advise. I am still very unimpressed with their choice of adjustment screws for their modules. They can learn how to improve their quality on their own time.

These modules are not at all complicated to build/assemble. If you are willing to accept the state of the art as opposed to pushing the envelope to achieve extraordinary performance then very good components, optics, diodes and drivers are easily obtainable thru this forum.

But, if you really, really don't want to do it that way then just buy a pre-assembled module from edison or andy and enjoy. I would refrain however from attempting to tweak the design of a manufacturer to improve the operation of their build. They probably did not put everything together just right except for the one modification that you're going to suggest. There are probably multiple areas that you don't know about (yet) or the design may not be compatible with your mod.

If lasever makes ther module better then everyone can buy from lasever...
    However their quality will ofcource be not compared to the ferraris like edison. So everyone can be happy.
    I want to help them since they seem to learn already and accept tips. They made a module already from the mitsu's. I mean what other laser company has so far?
    I also hate their quality control and adjustment screws of theirs is indeed crap but they are cheap, and it works after a while.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Hey bq , david and the lasever engineers know the score , they read the forum along with all the other manufacturers
    They build the way they do because its cheap and reliable, just look at laserwave and kvant for example, as soon as it gets into multi diode setups they have problems with beams going out of alighnment,then there is the complicated correction methods we use on here, again need a periodic tweek ,as does most of the home brew modules made by us on here.
    Most of the china factorys just wont do it because they would have to many people sending lasers back because they need adjustments because somthing in the complex lens/pbs/waveplate assembly shifted because of heat or taking a knock of some sort.
    Even a lot of chinese greens have problems all the time because of similar issuses
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

yeah so ive seen with my green. i smashed the old glue realigned and used stronger glue now. glue FTW! (chinese thoughts)
    il leave it be then and see what lasever maybe comes up with in the future.

Not only that but us guys spend a lot of time and money doing the research and do this in some kind of passionate way, are lasever going to give anything to us in return for our months of R&D, of course not.

Helping anyone is bad, and so is posting on forums like we do so freely. I know from sources that many sit and read our test results and methods which saves them effort and money, none of these people contribute to the processes.

Most methods used by the laser projector manufacturers are well documented prior on forums but none of these manufacturers contribute even a dollar to the forum running costs.

So helping any manufacturer is just helping them to sell to forum members who devices a lot of the ideas in the first place.

So Mr Borgqueenx, Lasever are free to read the almost 12 months of posts relating to the "How to do it better" there is your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by planters View Post
    Do not give Lasever any advise. I am still very unimpressed with their choice of adjustment screws for their modules. They can learn how to improve their quality on their own time.

These modules are not at all complicated to build/assemble. If you are willing to accept the state of the art as opposed to pushing the envelope to achieve extraordinary performance then very good components, optics, diodes and drivers are easily obtainable thru this forum.

But, if you really, really don't want to do it that way then just buy a pre-assembled module from edison or andy and enjoy. I would refrain however from attempting to tweak the design of a manufacturer to improve the operation of their build. They probably did not put everything together just right except for the one modification that you're going to suggest. There are probably multiple areas that you don't know about (yet) or the design may not be compatible with your mod.

yeah well the forum makes us all evolve this diode faster into a usable laser.
    i understand your point of view but without the forum it would probaly take another year before it was perfect as it is now.

Eddison is right near you, why don't you ask him to give you all the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    yeah well the forum makes us all evolve this diode faster into a usable laser.
    i understand your point of view but without the forum it would probaly take another year before it was perfect as it is now.

Yes, it was a community effort and the community should benefit, not those peering at us and taking notes. I try to post info semi-cryptically so as to prevent outright theft. I'm sure that you had the best intentions Borg, but why should the manufacturers not have to spend a dime in R&D when we have done all the work ?

-oops andy- we posted at the same time .. ;]

Quote Originally Posted by andyf97 View Post
    Eddison is right near you, why don't you ask him to give you all the knowledge.
    im afraid my brains cant suck up that much knowledge. im a slow learner as you all know.
    And i dont need information about theft. i understand your point. you can also open up a kvant and see whats inside and copy it. Although then the parts are probaly hard to indentify/buy and recreate.
    my opinion is that everyone should be able to use this information on this forum to make the laserworld evolve. Contribution is hard since alot of people contributed. if its one guy im sure some people would have donated to him if that person would have a paypal donate link for example.

information publicly can be stolen. but without it being publicly it couldnt be done so quickly or one guy would have run with the results for a long time. there's no real benefit in that. or i dont see it.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    im afraid my brains cant suck up that much knowledge. im a slow learner as you all know.
    And i dont need information about theft. i understand your point. you can also open up a kvant and see whats inside and copy it. Although then the parts are probaly hard to indentify/buy and recreate.
    my opinion is that everyone should be able to use this information on this forum to make the laserworld evolve. Contribution is hard since alot of people contributed. if its one guy im sure some people would have donated to him if that person would have a paypal donate link for example.

information publicly can be stolen. but without it being publicly it couldnt be done so quickly or one guy would have run with the results for a long time. there's no real benefit in that. or i dont see it.

I have a paypal account

The thing is the methods used are not difficult at all, most are known and documented on many forums for every diode, lens setup or correction.

The methods used by producers are well known too but as you rightly noted it is the component sources that are harder.

Many ask me, why don't the big players in this business use these 500mW diodes and the answers are quite simple.

One is the beam specs; when using say single mode lower power diodes; it is easier to deliver a reasonable quality beam from multiple diode setups.

Now when you start to build such mass diode units you need to order a lot of diodes which greatly reduces the price to the point that it is cheaper for them to use more diodes than it would be to say use fewer more powerful diodes like a P73 that need more correction. The end result for high quantity of diodes is better and cheaper.

On the hobby/low volume side of things, it is cheaper to use 500mW diodes and accept the harder to obtain beam specs.

So we could all do exact same units as the big companies but it would be cheaper to just buy from them because they get bulk pricing on components.

Now the field has changed a lot as the components are more readily available to DIY, you only have to look at blue diodes as an example.

Understand?
    Last edited by andyf97; 10-22-2012 at 13:29. Reason: edited spelling & added a bit