Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow! How is this done??

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Blu-Tac (if you guys have it over there) will become your best friend as you attempt to stick all these bits to the aperture of your projector
    I believe the nearest is Elmer's Tack in the US and White tac in Germany / Europe.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    On another note, I thought you'd reached your credit limit Brad
    All depends upon ones "priorities"....

I can't possibly be broke. There are still checks left in the book!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Brad, want to see this stuff up close? Book your trip to FLEM!
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.... trust me, I'm veerryy close! I'm at the point where I wouldn't be able to stand sitting at home next Saturday knowing all the fun going on 1000 miles south!

That is a diffraction wheel, but lumia wheels or even just a warp wheel from texlem could work .
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    [IMG]
    That is a diffraction wheel, but lumia wheels or even just a warp wheel from texlem could work .
    I used the warp wheel today and that actually gave me the closest approximation. Still nowhere close yet to the kaleidescope videos. In studying your pictures, one of the things that I always seem to have trouble grasping with wheel arrangements is the beam path. Does the wheel move into place in front of the scanner somehow when you want the effect and then back out of the way when you don't? Assuming it moves into place in front of the scanner, is that something you do manually when you want the effect or, do you have it attached to a controller of some sort?

Hey Brad,
    Basically its up to you to experiment to see what effect you like best. In the old days, we did all the scan effects manually
    With a switch on a console. To me, it's more fun to PLAY the show. That way, even though the show material is the same,
    no two shows will be exactly seen the same way twice. You an I need to visit some local glass shops with a laser pointer
    in hand to find some nice lumia material.

M

Quote Originally Posted by ImageLight View Post
    Hey Brad,
    Basically its up to you to experiment to see what effect you like best. In the old days, we did all the scan effects manually
    With a switch on a console. To me, it's more fun to PLAY the show. That way, even though the show material is the same,
    no two shows will be exactly seen the same way twice. You an I need to visit some local glass shops with a laser pointer
    in hand to find some nice lumia material.

M
    Agreed... I've been thinking about Wheaton Village over in South Jersey for a while. We could probably even get custom made glass there.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    .. I suspect dsli_jon can offer hints but
    ''Hmm.. (..in best 'Spock' voice... Fascinating.. Very-interesting fx.. I'd suspect a combo of scanning-thru some holographic-elements and/or combos of such... Possibly scanning-thru some crystalline material / LCD, etc.. or maybe bouncing-scans off a giant DLP-chip or maybe an old laser-video disc / CD / DVD...

I'm not sure I can quite make sense of the 'implications' of their 'polychromatic' laser, as they seem-to suggest, they just 'bought one of everything' and have one granddaddy of a combo-scheme... that's one heck of a lot of different beam-profiles / chars to reconcile...

..I mean this statement, alone: "...many different diode lasers, solid state lasers, DPSS lasers, KTP, BBO, LBO and YAG crystals whic results, high quality coherent laser light beam... " ..uh, yeah, not in this universe... all that summing, with such varied-sources = you'd have a lot of factors to 'tame' in such a beast - modes, beam-profiles, modulation-disparity... I.. I dunno.. if they had said they are all fiber-lasers, maybe, but.. this system sounds more like a 'calico-cat'...

Also: "...Available wavelengths of the polychromatic lasers: 405nm.. (blah, blah..) 515nm, (..using 515...really?) 532nm, 561nm, 593nm, (blah, blah..) ...660nm, 671nm, 680nm, 690nm. (..wait.. 680-690??... Beam diameter is about 4mm. Beam divergence less than 1.0 mRad.. Umm.. sounds like somebody went a little-nuts with 'copy and paste'...

..and "..The laser power is available 8 to 80 Watts.." yeeeah, and I'm Mama Terry... I'll believe 80W Full Color when I see it...

..Anyhoo, not trying to diminishing the 'coolness' of the clips, it's just that when I start reading 'specs' like that... I just start smelling a bit of tilapia..

Indeed, you can get some really-cool fx with 'layering' scan-glasses - 'star-burst' w/ 'blur', ie: check-out around 2:12... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDuQVZYoro ..still, these 'kaleidoscope fx' are pretty-rad lookin... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZIkNrJL4Mo

..another amazing effect is scanning (with one axis) thru a 1/2 cylinder-lens... then color-modding it... ie: the Laser Images-gurus dubbed it 'raster fx'.. http://www.laserium.com/gallery/images/300009.jpg - kinda lousy color, here, cause this is a scan of an old actual-print, but.. in 'real-life', the raster-fx are *spellbinding*...

Will have to ask Brian (laserist) and Scott, et al, how they think these were done... I'm wondering if they are possibly using Digisynth, too.. that system produces some mind-blowing fx..

j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 03-21-2012 at 20:12. Reason: added link
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Is the dust on the wheel and mirrors an old lumia trick?

[IMG]

Ebay:

Wanted 1 compressed air line and vacuum cleaner.

Also, 1 bottle of Opticlean and can of electrical contact cleaner.

Buyer will collect.
    Invisible writing