Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow! How is this done??

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Wow! How is this done??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbpCS...eature=related

Stumbled across this while having the first cup of coffee this morning. Wow... I suspect dsli_jon can offer hints but, anybody got any ideas how this is acheived?

I see money being spent in my future!!

Edit - After a bit more searching: http://www.kaleidoscopelaser.com/ But that still doesn't explain how us mortals can do this!
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 03-21-2012 at 04:07.

Lookit, lookit, lookit!!!!! I GOTTA KNOW!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9buo...ayer_embedded#!

Acousto-optic deflection probably.

Hi Brad

My best guess is scan through lumia effects. Try it yourself, just fire up LivePRO, stick a slowly rotating lumia wheel in front of the output aperture on your projector, and then experiment with projecting different cues. Tip: slow the speed of the cues right down. I did some considerable experimentation with this some while ago. The effects you can achieve are beautiful. Next add some movement initiated by sound and it all starts to come to life.

I uploaded a few bits onto YouTube some time ago, just do a search for my username 'Pocketjem'. The videos can't get across how stunning they look in real life

Here's a couple of starters ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_N6JojVL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs3VETVu_jU

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 03-21-2012 at 08:07.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

scan through effects are awesome..

i watched the videos on the kaleidoscope laser page. it looks to me like they have two scan heads and a series of scan through effects that can be dropped in front of either head. maybe on actuators or even servos controlled via dmx.

if you watch closely, the projection is obscured briefly as the effect changes. clearly something is moving in and out of the post-scanner beam path. they tried to minimize the effect transition, by shrinking the projection before switching the effect, but once you spot it, you can see it just about every time.

it's beautiful and old school and nothing laserium wasn't doing 30 years ago.

here are some clues from their website:
    The scale of colours beginning at the deep ultraviolet to deep purple red. Used many different diode lasers,
    solid state lasers, DPSS lasers, KTP, BBO, LBO and YAG crystals which results, high quality coherent
    laser light beam. Available wavelengths of the polychromatic lasers: 405nm, 445nm, 457nm, 473nm,
    501nm, 515nm, 532nm, 561nm, 593nm, 612nm, 635nm, 650nm, 660nm, 671nm, 680nm, 690nm.
    The laser power is available 8 to 80 Watts by polychromatic lasers.
    Beam diameter is about 4mm.
    Beam divergence less than 1.0 mRad
    Auto ranging power supply 85-265V, 50-60Hz
    Power consumption: 300W-1.5kW
    DMX synchronization via GTLaser

so... many diode wavelengths, or Kr/Ar white lights, and DMX actuated controllers for the scan through effects.

i have been thinking about building something like this as a strap on module for folks with existing projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi Brad

My best guess is scan through lumia effects. Try it yourself, just fire up LivePRO, stick a slowly rotating lumia wheel in front of the output aperture on your projector, and then experiment with projecting different cues. Tip: slow the speed of the cues right down. I did some considerable experimentation with this some while ago. The effects you can achieve are beautiful. Next add some movement initiated by sound and it all starts to come to life.

I uploaded a few bits onto YouTube some time ago, just do a search for my username 'Pocketjem'. The videos can't get across how stunning they look in real life

Here's a couple of starters ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ_N6JojVL4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs3VETVu_jU

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by swamidog; 03-21-2012 at 10:05.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Brilliant Swami

I forgot to add that diffraction gratings *and* lumia work so well together as in your video. As always, I can produce nice stuff but never seem to video it. I noticed the YouTube clips are now three years old, how time flies. Worst thing is i'm still saying to myself that I really must get my magnetic 'clamp on' Lumia box finished .
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Swami - I fully expected to see an answer on here from you. I suspected it would catch your attention too.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    scan through effects are awesome..

i have been thinking about building something like this as a strap on module for folks with existing projectors.
    If you're building it, you HAVE my attention.... And potentially a chunk of my credit limit!

@Jem - Just got done playing with a Cokin 8 point star filter, a set Laserium glasses and am now grabbing some of my lumia glass... I think we're on to something.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

hahahaha!

i've been working on some LSX shows and some laser photography, but i haven't forsaken my true love of lumia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	puv-space-station.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	31240

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	petro-guy-for-pl.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	31242

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Swami - I fully expected to see an answer on here from you. I suspected it would catch your attention too.

If you're building it, you HAVE my attention.... And potentially a chunk of my credit limit!

@Jem - Just got done playing with a Cokin 8 point star filter, a set Laserium glasses and am now grabbing some of my lumia glass... I think we're on to something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sandstone-lumia-petro-02.jpg  

Last edited by swamidog; 03-21-2012 at 10:43.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Wow, swamidog, that's some great work! From what I can see, I'm guessing Lumia, diffraction, 2 different fresnel and something else. Not sure what the cloud is around 3:04, just another style lumia? That looks awesome though!

Brad, want to see this stuff up close? Book your trip to FLEM!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I can guarantee that once you get the bug for playing with scan through effects it can be worse than the laser bug

Next thing is you'll be grabbing the vase off the shelf, glass door handles etc etc. Blu-Tac (if you guys have it over there) will become your best friend as you attempt to stick all these bits to the aperture of your projector

I've designed a magnetic 'clamp on' lumia box that will pretty much fit over the aperture window of any projector (as long as it's steel). I just have to find the time to make it . Every time I see a thread like this it rekindles my enthusiasm, only problem I have is that my new projector enclosure is aluminium... Back to the drawing board methinks

On another note, I thought you'd reached your credit limit Brad