Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eliezer From Artlaser Technology Co., Ltd

Jimbo:

Yeah, having a lasercheck makes things a lot easier. Though if you can't afford one right now, there are alternatives that are less expensive if you're willing to spend some time working with a soldering iron... (Of course, a homebrew solution won't be as accurate as a calibrated lasercheck, but plus or minus 5-10 % is still better than nothing!) Have a look at this section of Sam's Laser FAQ for a few ideas on how to build your own power meter.

Greg:

Good idea re: the use of an IR card. You're right, it would also work well as a go-no go test for leakage. (Though the one in the link you posted wouldn't be very sensitive to pump diode IR leaks... The pump diode lases at 808 nm, which is right at the cutoff for the IR band of that card.) It should easily detect any 1064 nm leaks though, and I'm sure you can find other cards that are a little more sensitive to 808 nm IR.

Good thinking!

Adam

One night local time, so much post, but topic goes to the IR filter. Adam, your major in College is about lasers? So much knowledge you have know!
    May I know you? I think it's will be a great thing to talk with u.

Eliezer
    =============================
    Art Laser Technology Co., Ltd
    Exports Department
    Tel:+86 755 82449798
    Mail: export@artlaser.net
    MSN:liustar546@msn.com

Eliezer;

No, I don't have a degree in lasers... I actually majored in Computer Science in College. But I've been a physics geek ever since, oh, about the 3rd grade or so. (In 5th grade I built a working model of a telegraph, and in 9th grade I got my HAM radio licence... That was back in 1979.)

Science in general has always been a passion of mine, but physics is my favorite. I got interested in lasers back when I was in middle school, and actually got to play with a few Helium Neon lasers in high school. Back then I used read everything I could get my hands on about physics in general, and lasers in particular. (I've slowed down a bit now that I'm older, but I still read a lot.) I also discovered computers in the 9th grade, and I've been a computer geek ever since.

After high school, I enlisted in the Navy's nuclear power program and spent a few years onboard submarines. It was a good fit for a physics geek like me. (I was an ELT; we mostly worked on water chemistry & corrosion control, radiation monitoring, dosimetery, handling of radiactive materials, etc...) Lots of free time on a submarine to read, and you'd be amazed at the knowledge level of some of the folks you'll find on a boat.

Anyway, I've been here in Charleston ever since I got out of the Navy. I work in the environmental field now, but I still have time to pursue my laser, computer, and electronics hobbies. Back in 1997 I decided to go to college to get my bachelor's degree in computer science. I graduated Summa Cum Laude in the fall of 2001, but the degree really hasn't helped me a whole lot in the corporate world. (Although on a personal level it meant a lot to me to finally earn my degree.)

Most of my knowledge of lasers comes from the books I've read and the people I've talked to over the years. (Both on the phone and via the Internet.) In the last 12 years or so I've slowly been buying lasers and optical components, trying to learn as I go. But I've still got a lot to learn. One of the best resources I've found has been Sam's Laser FAQ. I've spoken with Sam several times, and he has been very helpful. I also lurk on the alt.lasers usenet newsgroup, and from time to time I'll post there as well. (Most of the people in that group are *seriously* out of my league when it comes to laser knowledge, though!)

I do tend to post a lot here, mainly because I remember how hard it was for me to learn about lasers all by myself. So if there is something I can share that helps a new user, I'm willing to take the time to write it up. I strongly believe that the community that is developing here at PhotonLexicon is a very good thing, and I want it to continue. (I only wish it was around back in the late 70's and early 80's when I was young!)

Adam

Hi Adam,
    I did my apprenticeship as an electronic engineer with British Nuclear Fuels over here in England.
    That was 1979 to 1983. I've always been involved in computers to some extent although back in 1979 most of the stuff with BNFL was based on relays rather than silicon, some of the projects there were a real rats nest of relays an wires that can now be done with really basic i/o cards and tiny programs.
    In them days there was no internet about as I'm sure your aware.
    I believe the internet was really started off over there as a university network if I remember correectly.
    All that we had over here for years was simple Bulitin Boards.
    I remember in the 80's using Dacom modems running at 300/1200 baud and these cost hundreds.
    It's amazing how far technology has come over the past 30 years.

Jim

Hey Jimbo!

Re: old technology... Know what you mean there! The water level control system for the steam generators on my boat used magnetic summing amplifiers! Crazy... But they'd withstand the EMP of a high altitude nuclear blast and keep on working. (Though admittedly that really wasn't a concern for us while operating sumberged in the Atlantic!)

I remember the old BBS days well. My first modem was a 1200 baud, but I do remember the 300 baud acoutically-coupled units. (never owned one though.) When I bought my first Amiga (the A500) I upgraded to a Supramodem 2400. Later on, I took advantage of the US Robotics Sysop deal and got an HST for just $280. (Back then they retailed for nearly $800)

I can't remember exactly when I first got PPP access to the Internet, but I want to say it was around 1994 or so. (I was still using the Amiga, but by then I had a decked-out A4000 with an '060 board in it and a Cybervision 64!) Finally made the switch to the dark side in 1997 when I bought a PC. Damn, that hurt...

Speaking of old computers... My high school actually had a DEC PDP-11! Back then we all thought it was the greatest thing ever, but looking back we didn't have a clue as to what was in store for us. I've got fond memories of the Apple II, the TRS-80, and especially the first computer I ever actually owned, which was an Ohio Scientific Challenger C1P... 6502 CPU, 8K of ram! Microsoft Basic version 2.01 in rom. What a kludge... But it rocked my world when I was a sophmore in high school.

Sure would be great for us old farts to get together some day over a few beers and share stories of the glory days... (Too bad you're an ocean away!)

Adam

You know, an ocean away is actually something like 6 hours of flight time, vs say 6 months under see?? . I'll take an airplane anytime. Not too keen on submarines, if only they had windows (to look out of, not the microsoft ones :P ). Think about it. If something went wrong on an airplane, the only way you can go is down, but you can always attempt a survivable crash landing. In a submarine, you also go down, but to the bottom of the see. Just kidding, anyway, I'm drifting off topic here

I also have fond memories of my first computer, although a newer version than the ones mentioned. It was an IBM XT compatible, with an intel 8088 CPU 64KB of RAM (not sure though), no hard disk and 5 1/4 inch floppy drive. Can't remember what operating system it used though, I was kind of youg back then (must have been about 8 years old).
    Remember the future?, That'd today, as you imagined it yesterday.

My first that I owned was probably a Sinclair ZX80 or possibly a Commodore C64.
    At college we used the Commodore PET, they didn't have a screen at that time all we had was 3 7-segment led displays.
    I used to use an Amstrad PCW 8256 with the Dacom 2123 modem.
    The first PC that I bought was an Amstrad PC1512, then a 1640, after that the usual round up of 286, 386, 486, pentium etc.

Jim

Adam, u put your wonderful and abundant Resume here. Real scientific!!

I from Artlaser, and our advertized laser "100mw Green laser" that really makes more than 100mw of visible light, we will never do misleading things here. Honor is more important than the life. Everyone can tested the optical output of our lasers.

Hotly welcome memebers from the forum, i will give the biggest discount as I can to let friends here try a sample from Artlaser.

Much Thanks

Cheers
    Eliezer
    Art Laser Technology Co., Ltd
    Exports Department
    Tel:+86 755 82449798
    Mail: export@artlaser.net
    MSN:liustar546@msn.com

As I have said before I buyed from ArtLaser and the product is more than great

Thanks a lot Filip! ops: ops: ops:

How about your new lasers now? Good Luck!!

Cheers
    Eliezer