Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: American DJ Hypnotic Lumia Projector

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    and also that its a Class IIIa device... how the hell is 500mW IIIa?.
    Er, maybe because it's a lumia device and there's not a single coherent photon coming from the aperture? 'Beam divergence' is like.... really, really, big?

It's just as class IIIa as a 500mW LED would be.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

My only fear with something like this (and Chauvet now makes a box doing lumia too) is that it's going to "cheapen" the lumia effect. The first DJ that comes in my venue carrying a lumia box he's charging a client $100 for, I think I'm gonna scream.... Pretty soon they'll be everywhere like the micro galaxian and not even something people give a second glance at.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    My only fear with something like this (and Chauvet now makes a box doing lumia too) is that it's going to "cheapen" the lumia effect. The first DJ that comes in my venue carrying a lumia box he's charging a client $100 for, I think I'm gonna scream.... Pretty soon they'll be everywhere like the micro galaxian and not even something people give a second glance at.
    I don't think the *existence* of a lumia effect should be a special thing. It's not like it's a big novelty, since lumia has been around for decades.

Lumias are just another tool in a good show designer's toolkit. If they're used properly like the rest of the tools we have at our disposal (e.g. graphic/beam projectors, video screens, LED fixtures and moving lights) they're a perfect addition to a good show.

Anyone can slap a truss full of gear and hope it's going to look good. It takes skill and creativity to build and program a consistent show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Pretty soon they'll be everywhere like the micro galaxian and not even something people give a second glance at.
    That's alright; I'll still be able to stare at Lumia effects for hours...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney3K View Post
    I don't think the *existence* of a lumia effect should be a special thing. It's not like it's a big novelty, since lumia has been around for decades.

Lumias are just another tool in a good show designer's toolkit. If they're used properly like the rest of the tools we have at our disposal (e.g. graphic/beam projectors, video screens, LED fixtures and moving lights) they're a perfect addition to a good show.

Anyone can slap a truss full of gear and hope it's going to look good. It takes skill and creativity to build and program a consistent show.
    I'm not debating that. I intend to use it a lot more myself but, at least in this area, I think it probably IS more of a new novelty and granted, at $600 not as many DJ's will be apt to rush to buy one but, if prices come down, I can see something like that beginning to flood the market. It will be interesting to go to the Atlantic City DJ Expo this summer and see how many vendors are displaying the American DJ/Chauvet effects and the buying reaction by the mobile DJ community. I think the ones with moving heads and Martin gear may very well jump on something that appears "new" and is now mass marketed to them.

I doubt there will be a lot of DJ's adopting this hardware into their mainstream rigs. Most of the setups I find are just good old PAR cans and moving lights, so adding something like this to a big rig is going to be no more than a gimmick.

The mobile disco and wedding DJ may get his hands on a few, but I doubt something like this will catch on. Effect wise, when used in a DJ setup, it's not that different from old-school oil projectors.

And to be frank, If I had four of these lumia units combined with some disco balls and a lit dance floor in a 70s-80s setting, I'd be all for it!

Er, maybe because it's a lumia device and there's not a single coherent photon coming from the aperture? 'Beam divergence' is like.... really, really, big?

It's just as class IIIa as a 500mW LED would be.
    does not matter, for classification the power is measured not too far from the aperture, which I am sure will exceed >5mW

Quote Originally Posted by LaserWizard View Post
    Well it works! Pretty adjustable, too. I got my dichroics out of there and made my modifications with the mirrors.... red and green have much more "zing" to them now. the whole effect is more balanced, quite nice.
    What does the mic input control?
    Last edited by Photonbeam; 04-10-2012 at 10:17.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    does not matter, for classification the power is measured not too far from the aperture, which I am sure will exceed >5mW
    In that case, a decent 5-10W LED spot (or a 250W discharge spot, for that matter) would give the same reading on your laser power meter. So just blindly measuring output power at the aperture and blindly stating 'hey, it's over 5mW' is measuring wrong. It's power DENSITY combined with low divergence that does the damage here, not just raw power.

Casio XJ-A140's have a whopping 24W of blue laser light under the hood. Still they're class 1 (or IIIa at most), and I would be willing to bet an A140 on it that a power meter will go off the scale if you put it right in front of the lens.

In that case, a decent 5-10W LED spot (or a 250W discharge spot, for that matter) would give the same reading on your laser power meter. So just blindly measuring output power at the aperture and blindly stating 'hey, it's over 5mW' is measuring wrong. It's power DENSITY combined with low divergence that does the damage here, not just raw power.

Ca$io XJ-A140's have a whopping 24W of blue laser light under the hood. Still they're class 1 (or IIIa at most), and I would be willing to bet an A140 on it that a power meter will go off the scale if you put it right in front of the lens.
    they are I because they are not coherent, don't think putting it through a lumia makes it not coherent... if it did it would require some kind of "focus" adjustment no? the ca$io has a focus adjustment

and if it was not coherent it would be class I not IIIa