Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: American DJ Hypnotic Lumia Projector

Thumbs up American DJ Hypnotic Lumia Projector

I picked up an American DJ "Hypnotic" lumia projector last week - very nice RGB lumia for $600!

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDet...temNumber=2062

No fade in or fade out .... but you can select all the available color combinations and motor speed via DMX. The motor is a little "choppy" at the lowest speeds. It has beautiful large patterned plastic wheel producing the classic lumia pattern we all love.

This product definitely fills a need for more lumia in the market!

The other thing I don't like is that they use dichroics to combine the beams.... mine came with the blue and red doing pretty much the same pattern, not how I like my lumia. I opened it up and moved the red over a little - much better! That's when I noticed the dichroics and how they really reduce the power of red and green. Beams do not need to be combined for lumia, just be pointed generally at the same spot! I'm planning to replace the dichroics with smaller silver mirrors, just place the beams next to each other, and get all that power back!

- Tim

Interesting product; it is nice to see a lumia box on the market although they don't mention the word lumia at all from what I see...

I have a couple of... thoughts/questions on their description...

They show it pointed at a "dance floor" and say it can be used "to create an exciting laser show on a dance floor, wall or ceiling with or without the use of fog." and they say "This laser effect features one 30mW green laser, one 80mW red laser and one 350mW violet blue laser, and is approved by the FDA!" Based on what you see, does it look safe to point at a dance floor and does it look to meet FDA approval to you? It looks boarderline to my untrained eyes but we know how videos can look. I guess I am also thinking it is real close to a half watt and dichros and lumia glass can only weaken the power so much.

It says 350mW violet blue diode for the blue; is it 445 or 405 violet blue. In the video it looks more blue than violet. What blue do you think is installed?

How many lumia "discs" or patterns are in there?

Nice lil box though.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

How about a pic of the insides?

Just curious...

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Only one lumia wheel effect... but it is the one to have! It is very wide angle; I put my trusty low power meter out about 2 meters in front of the projector, it only gets up to .5 mW, very safe.

The blue is indeed 445 nm to my eye.
    Pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010721.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	31619
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010724.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	244.8 KB 
ID:	31620
    Last edited by LaserWizard; 04-06-2012 at 10:28. Reason: Add Pictures

I am not too keen on the cost, but I like the DMX control. I have thought about cannibalizing an XY scanning light and making use of the DMX for queuing lumia effects in Showtime. I was thinking of making the gobo disc hit different micro-switches to activate different lumia motors. I would then us the color channel to control which lasers came on and then use the X and Y signals for laser intensity. Just one of the many projects I don't have time for!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Thanks for the pics. I was curious about the build quality from am dj at $600. The ziptie and glue to the heat sinks says it all.

chad

Well it works! Pretty adjustable, too. I got my dichroics out of there and made my modifications with the mirrors.... red and green have much more "zing" to them now. the whole effect is more balanced, quite nice.

Interesting, what kind of motor are the using?

chad

I saw one at my local music store and it looks ok.
    Tim, you look like you got a really good lumia wheel. The one I saw, the image looked puffy and round,less defined. Yours has sharp, razor like images.
    Will there be three phase!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Interesting product; it is nice to see a lumia box on the market although they don't mention the word lumia at all from what I see...

I have a couple of... thoughts/questions on their description...

They show it pointed at a "dance floor" and say it can be used "to create an exciting laser show on a dance floor, wall or ceiling with or without the use of fog." and they say "This laser effect features one 30mW green laser, one 80mW red laser and one 350mW violet blue laser, and is approved by the FDA!" Based on what you see, does it look safe to point at a dance floor and does it look to meet FDA approval to you? It looks boarderline to my untrained eyes but we know how videos can look. I guess I am also thinking it is real close to a half watt and dichros and lumia glass can only weaken the power so much.

It says 350mW violet blue diode for the blue; is it 445 or 405 violet blue. In the video it looks more blue than violet. What blue do you think is installed?

How many lumia "discs" or patterns are in there?

Nice lil box though.
    best part is the manual states

Do not point lasers at people or animals. Never look into the laser aperture or laser beams.
    Do not point lasers in areas in which people can potentially get exposed, such as uncontrolled balconies, etc

and also that its a Class IIIa device... how the hell is 500mW IIIa?.