Thread: Hi from Portland

Default Hi from Portland

Hi guys, figure this is as good of a place as any to introduce myself.

I am from Beaverton, OR, outside of Portland. I was working (and hopefully will again) for Laika Entertainment. We made the movie Coraline and the upcoming movie Paranorman. I worked as a camera tech/moco guy/machinist/electronics guy. In between films now, waiting for things to start up for the next movie. One of the latest trailers:

So other than that, I have all sorts of hobbies. At home I have a complete machine shop, Supermax CNC Mill and Hercus CNC Lathe, Monarch 10ee manual lathe, Surface and tool grinders, you name it.

Monarch 10EE Lathe by macona, on Flickr

I also have a small "lab" area where I have the cleaner stuff. I mess around with vacuum systems as well. I have two right now, one I am setting up for doing coatings and fun stuff like that. It has a 6" diffusion pump with cryo and a 18"x18' bell jar. I plan on installing a couple 2" sputter guns to do my own dielectric coatings. Powering these is a Advanced Energy 2.5kw, 450KHz RF power supply. With this I should be able to do most any material and even do some PECVD. Film thickness is controlled through a Sycon deposition controller and I can monitor things with a Dycor Dymaxion 100AMU RGA. I have can get this system down to the low 10^-7 torr without too much issue.

Vacuum System by macona, on Flickr

The small vacuum system sits on a cart. It is basically a portable Residual Gas Analyzer/ Mass Spec system, it has a small Alcatel 2002 roughing pump that backs a Pfeiffer 071 turbo pump on the setup with the heart being an older Inficon 200AMU Quadrex RGA with electron multiplier. This system can easily get down to 10^-8 torr. The plan is to be able to use this as a portable leak checker and also pump down things like laser tubes and neon stuff.

IMGP6084 by macona, on Flickr

IMG_0194 by macona, on Flickr

One of the reasons I am trying to make my own filters is for my telescope. I have been setting things up to use my 10" Meade LX200 to do astrophotography and filters are expensive. And maybe make some to sell as well.

And lasers, those have always interested me, Having gotten my first HeNe in middle school. About 10-15 years ago I has a couple Omni Argons. Right now I am building a 40W CO2 laser cutter. I also have a bunch of the Coherent FAP modules that I am hoping to build a YAG dpss around for metal engraving.

So, it comes down to this. Too darn many expensive hobbies!

My flickr page is here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67292116@N00/
    And Youtube channel here, all sorts of cnc machine tool videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/SupermaxCNC?feature=guide

-Jerry

Oh yeah, also recently picked up a Radoma Spectroradiometer.

Gamma Scientific Radoma Spectroradiometer by macona, on Flickr
    Last edited by macona; 04-11-2012 at 21:17. Reason: Better trailer

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

hey macona,

that's a nice set of toys you have. welcome to PL!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Wow, how did I miss this post! You should get in contact with Platinum and Drlava as they are local. Also check out Surplus Gizmos get to know Mike, lots of stuff is not in the front of the store .

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Oh, I have known mike for about 15 years now. I have free run of the store!

Good to hear, Mike is a nice guy. I wish I could still live in the area but paying jobs didn't agree.

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Hi guys! Are they still in business?
    I'd love to visit some local stores next time I'm around.

Yes it is still there

Quote Originally Posted by macona View Post
    Yes it is still there
    As is the some of the same stock from 2001... I don't visit that place anymore (I have enough junk already) but you can ask about crap before he scraps it all. Funny thread reading my last comment as I am now back in Aloha. If you need electronic stuff URS Electronics has been great for last minute bits and bobs.
    Last edited by sugeek; 04-16-2024 at 05:35.