Thread: Why are most laser sites / laserists Germany [from Germany]?

Default Why are most laser sites / laserists Germany [from Germany]?

It seems like all the cool laser sites are German
    did the germans invent the lasers?

Default Re: Why are most laser sites / laserists Germany [from Germa

Quote Originally Posted by Evolve
    No, the laser was invented by the Americans. (Theodore Maiman, in the case of the first laser - the ruby laser - and Ali Javan, in the case of the first gas laser - the Helium-Neon laser.) Both of these men drew heavily upon the theoretical work of Charles Townes and Arthur Schawlow, who jointly invented the precurser to the laser - the maser.

Lasers are quite popular in Germany, it's true. However, they are also popular all over Europe. Believe it or not, they are also quite popular in America. But the United States has strict rules that limit what you can do during a laser show. England has *some* of the same rules, but they are not as strict. Germany is still, for the most part, unregulated. This may be why many of the large laser enthusiast meetings are held there. It's also a good reason for a laser company to set up shop there. (Less regulation makes it easier to start a business.)

But don't forget some of the largest companies in the laser business that *are* located in the US. (Pangolin, Spectra-Physics, Coherent, JDS Uniphase, American Laser Corporation, Cambridge Technologies, just to name a few)

Adam

We are lucky the germans didn't invent it as they would be called "Hevedaedestra" from
    helle Verstärkung durch angeregtes emmission der Strahlung, or something like that :lol:

Jim

All I can say about lasers and germany is:

-Lobo
    -Euro dance
    -Trance

I'm from Finland myself and here the rules say that any audience laser must be inspected by a goverment agency before usage. That is after you have installed it to it's place.

So putting up laser show temporarely isn't worth the hastle.

Default Re: Why are most laser sites / laserists Germany [from Germa

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolve
    No, the laser was invented by the Americans. (Theodore Maiman, in the case of the first laser - the ruby laser - and Ali Javan, in the case of the first gas laser - the Helium-Neon laser.) Both of these men drew heavily upon the theoretical work of Charles Townes and Arthur Schawlow, who jointly invented the precurser to the laser - the maser.

Lasers are quite popular in Germany, it's true. However, they are also popular all over Europe. Believe it or not, they are also quite popular in America. But the United States has strict rules that limit what you can do during a laser show. England has *some* of the same rules, but they are not as strict. Germany is still, for the most part, unregulated. This may be why many of the large laser enthusiast meetings are held there. It's also a good reason for a laser company to set up shop there. (Less regulation makes it easier to start a business.)

But don't forget some of the largest companies in the laser business that *are* located in the US. (Pangolin, Spectra-Physics, Coherent, JDS Uniphase, American Laser Corporation, Cambridge Technologies, just to name a few)

Adam
    Thats cool Adam, you are forgetting Canada, which is also pretty much unregulated when it comes to Lasers
    However, Canadians are too busy being Canadian to really have much in the world of cool things going on. They rather work 9-5 and sit back and drink beer on the weekend and watch hockey LOL

Evolve;

You are correct, Canada is also largely unregulated. And like Germany, Canada has *real beer*, as opposed to the watery stuff that passes for the beverage here in America. (Disclaimer: I brew my own.) Maybe that's the secret to starting a good laser company...??? Having little government interference and a decent supply of quality beer? (Hey, it would work for me! 8) )

I should also point out that China is rapidly becoming a major player in the laser industry. (Of course, China is rapidly becoming a major player in just about *every* industry... I can only guess at what they'll be like 50 years from now!) I do believe that most of the Chinese products are being produced for export, however. (Has anyone ever been to a concert or rave in China? How popular are laser shows in China?) My guess is that their export market will grow first, followed later on by increased domestic interest.

Jimbo: Loved your German translation! :lol:

Adam

Germany unregulated?
    Actually laser emission and protection laws are very strict. The problem is, that making a show officially safe costs alot of money. So many event managers just make shows without official permission.. nobody cares.
    I just worry what will happen when someone gets blind someday.

And i think if Germany invented the Laser, it would be called "Laser" as well.. it's kind of modern here to use english. Even when not neccesary.

Smile

Or even "Deutlish", right?

I swear, I actually hear someone ask a friend, "Wem bist Du gedated?" (Whom have you dated) Note the past-perfect congugation of the english verb "date"... I almost fell over laughing.

The regulations here in the US are pretty strict. I wasn't aware that the German authorities had tightened the restrictions for laser shows. The last time I spoke to someone about it, they said that there were guidelines to follow, but nothing like the paperwork nightmare involved in getting a variance from the CDRH...

Adam

Yep... Denglisch.

Well..yes.. nobody likes the paper stuff....but IF something happens..then there will be huge problems.
    As long as nothing happens nobody cares about laser security - even if the laws exist.