Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I reduce shipping from Thorlabs

Question How can I reduce shipping from Thorlabs

Hi guys, I want to buy the xz translation stage from thorlabs. The shipping options are killing me. Its $115-$122 via FedEx or ups and it's not a big assembly at all.

I tried the the Hong Kong website hoping them being closer to Australia would reduce the freight but it was the same price.

Am I doing it wrong

Anyone got any clues on how I can reduce the shipping to Australia?

Cheers
    Kit

http://www.thorlabs.hk/thorProduct.c...umber=DT12XZ/M

Move to America??

LOL- sorry Kit.

that actually isnt too bad. Remember what i had to pay for your meter? I think almost $300!!! Any trackable (UPS, FedEx) carrier will be at least that much from USA to Australia.

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Hey Marc yeah I figured that but I don't understand why shipping from Hong Kong isn't any cheaper.

Unless it isn't shipped from their Hong Kong branch.

I would have been fine with USPS but they don't offer it. I guess they are usually dealing with big companies and labs
    Who don't care about cost so much.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

get it shipped to someone you trust in the states (hi marc!). then have them bounce it via USPS Express Mail International. It'll take about a week, and set you back less than 50$ USD.

Quote Originally Posted by kitatit View Post
    Hi guys, I want to buy the xz translation stage from thorlabs. The shipping options are killing me. Its $115-$122 via FedEx or ups and it's not a big assembly at all.

I tried the the Hong Kong website hoping them being closer to Australia would reduce the freight but it was the same price.

Am I doing it wrong

Anyone got any clues on how I can reduce the shipping to Australia?

Cheers
    Kit

http://www.thorlabs.hk/thorProduct.c...umber=DT12XZ/M
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Hi swami thanks. Yes I might do that.

I'll give Marc a break this time. I can picture the beads of sweat
    Forming on his brow:P he helped me out with a sensor from Coherent and it turned into a massive and expensive shipping headache for Marc. Thanks Marc

what about this place?

http://www.reship.com
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Have you googled shipping rather than just looking at the usual carriers web sites?

In the UK there are some sites that use a variety of carriers and pass on very cheap prices. Kind of shipping supermarkets although they're not labelled as such.

It didn't work for me recently with the laser as it was above the insurance ceiling on most but if the insurance hadn't needed to be so high, it would have been no problem.

eg. UPS direct from their web site was from memory £176 to Slovakia. Via a discount website with £1K insurance, £25 (still via UPS)!!

Like I said my problem was insurance but if your package is low value, then you should be able to find somewhere that does it cheap if the US is anything like the UK for carrier services. What I would do though is google reviews about any site you're thinking of using before using it as one or two have terrible reputations whilst the rest are usually ok.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I learned the hard way recently that sometimes it doesn't always pay to go with the cheapest method. Although with just a small translation stage that does seem high. FedEx wanted about $630 to ship my Kvant out of Norway and as incredible as it seemed at the time, the alternative that was supposed to be cheaper cost me about $875! Plus I had to drive to the airport and deal with customs, international warehouse storage, a customs broker, etc. I've got a damn file filled with paperwork from the experience! And it didn't even get peanuts, a drink or in-flight movie! It told me so.

Hey guys,

thanks for the clues

So if I understand correctly, When I fill out the checkout details on Thorlabs site I put the billing address as mine and the shipping address as the address of the "Re-shipper"

That way I get the reduced shipping costs inside the US and then I pay the re-shipper there reduced rate options for the US to Aus leg. is that how it works?

I had a look at the site Dave linked to but Im still a little unsure.

After seeing Brads horror story above I'm thinking i should stop being a cry baby and just pay it. After all, 200yrs ago it would take 6 months to arrive in Aus. That is if the ship didn't sink or everyone on board died of scurvy

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I can understand your frustration, international shipping is really starting to bug me, finance wise. Have you tried contacting Thorlabs directly on the phone? It has been my experience that they will bend over backwards for customers who have special "issues".

Steve