Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 341

Thread: SELEM 6: Aug 16 - 19 Sign up now!

  1. #251
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,314

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Next year we will be better!
    LOL. And it get's better after ORSE!

  2. #252
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Native Floridian
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Damn guys, I can't believe it ended so quickly. My trip to SELEM and back took me 2,336 miles, more on the reason in another thread coming soon. It was great seeing everyone again, as well as some new faces. A big thanks to Polishedball, Firstlight-laser and Flecom for bringing some fresh content for the event. I'd also like to extend a huge thanks to rgb-gas for providing one bad ass white light for my projector. At 38amps tube current we were getting about 6.2W, split by the PBS cube so each PCAOM was probably seeing around 3W. It looked awesome! Buffo, awesome job setting this one up, looking forward to next year!


    I rarely take pics at these events, but this looked so nice I just had to take a pic. The lumia on the screen is actually lumia as well as fresnel.
    IMG_0211.jpg

  3. #253
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    807

    Default

    My thanks to Buffo and everyone that brought out the gear to make for another great SELEM!

    Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

    Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

  4. #254
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Wow, what a great SELEM!

    This was my second time attending SELEM and I have to say it was fantastic. Last year I felt welcome but not really part of the group as I had only just been introduced to lasers. This year I really felt welcome and part of the community. Over the last year with the help of Polishedball I built my first RGB projector which I brought down to SELEM this year. I received many compliments on the design and output, my favorit of which was from Buffo "This is the shiz-nit" in regards to the design using bounce mirrors into my dichros so you can easily do near field and far field alignment. A special thanks to DZ for helping me out by tuning my scanners, what a pro, I think he could have done that in his sleep he made it look so easy. Special thanks also goes to Dan at X-Laser for supplying enough booze for a week long SELEM, I've never seen a cooler that can hold 10 cases of beer and ice before, wow.

    I really liked the split setup this year with the auditorium and the cafeteria. I know that some people didn't like being split up and possibly missing something in "the other room", but last year it seemed like such a waste having everything in the auditorium and half of it sitting dark most of the time.

    I really lucked out this year and won the grand prize door prize, Pangolin Quickshow w/ FB3 donated by Chuck @ Aixiz. What an awesome prize and so well timed! I had just finished building my projector but had nothing to play content with! I know that I will have many great times and shows using this software.

    Here is a youtube playlist of some video I shot in the auditorium, if you didn't see this stuff you sure missed out. The Digisynth Metallica was AWESOME and DZ only made it better by running live effects off the second projector head! We also got to see a Mike Dunn show performed live basically as he took a turn running beams durning a few shows, pretty sweet stuff, he actually crashed Beyond because it couldn't keep up!

    I'll post some pictures as well when I get them off my phone.

    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL08C59BB4D0B6FB33

    SELEM always seems to go by so fast even with a 12.5 hour drive, then 3 days of madness followed by another 12.5 hour ride home, but it flies by. I can't wait until next year!

    Jim

  5. #255
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    1,206

    Default

    It sounds like you all had a great time.

  6. #256
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimboy3625 View Post
    Wow, what a great SELEM!

    Here is a youtube playlist of some video I shot in the auditorium, if you didn't see this stuff you sure missed out. The Digisynth Metallica was AWESOME and DZ only made it better by running live effects off the second projector head! We also got to see a Mike Dunn show performed live basically as he took a turn running beams durning a few shows, pretty sweet stuff, he actually crashed Beyond because it couldn't keep up!

    I'll post some pictures as well when I get them off my phone.

    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL08C59BB4D0B6FB33

    SELEM always seems to go by so fast even with a 12.5 hour drive, then 3 days of madness followed by another 12.5 hour ride home, but it flies by. I can't wait until next year!

    Jim
    Playlist is set to Private. Wasn't able to make it...and I Wanna SEE!
    rodman1369

  7. #257
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Playlist is set to Private.
    Woops! Sorry about that, should be public now.

  8. #258
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,631

    Smile SELEM wrap-up

    Oh man... It's been 2 full days since SELEM, and I'm still exhausted! But we sure had a hell of a good time, didn't we?

    Big thanks to everyone who helped out this year. Jeff's whitelight in the balcony of the auditorium was a huge hit! Of course, it would have been for nothing if not for DZ's awesome dual-head projector. Then too, without all the great content supplied by Frank, John, Mike, and others, it wouldn't have been nearly as much fun. We definitely need to do this again next year.

    Dan's projector certification presentation this year was incredibly popular. Several people commented afterward that they feel comfortable enough to file their own product report now. Greg's Lumia presentation was equally intriguing (who knew lumia predated lasers by over 50 years?), and while I missed the outdoor work with the plastic warp-wheels, I understand that there were some very cool results.

    Pangolin's presentation introduced a new feature to Beyond: the use of a video projector (LCD or DLP) as a projection device within the Beyond environment. So you could assign a projection zone to a video projector, and use that zone for audience scanning safely, since a DLP projector doesn't emit coherent light. Very cool concept! Also, the much-anticipated Pangolin-branded scanners should be available by next February at the latest. (The Pangolin actuators are already shipping.)

    The whole "club-SELEM" concept worked pretty well for it's first try, but it can be improved. For one, next year we will do ALL the setup on the same day. I've learned that the school system is going back to the old schedule, so they won't have school in session during SELEM next year. That means we will be able to access the cafeteria on Thursday, which should make setup easier. Also, I plan to put both the live control console and the DJ area in the back of the room next time, so the people controlling things can see how it all looks.

    Mario's folded-horn subwoofers were awesome, at least until we had to move them. (Heavy!) But the sound system was really nice. Hope no one went home deaf this year... I'd also like to thank everyone who stayed late on Sunday to help load up all the equipment (especially the sound system). We would not have been able to leave on-time if it weren't for your help!

    Steve Roberts was unable to attend, but that didn't stop DJMatt from stepping into his shoes in the ion laser work room. I lost count, but I think we had at least eight 3-phase ion lasers in there. True, some of them didn't fire, but most did. There were also quite a few air-cooled ions present. Really glad that Matt took charge of things in there and kept everything moving (and kept everyone safe!).

    There were a few things that didn't get done, and I will try to fix that for next year. For one, we failed utterly on the schedule for the auditorium again. Still kicking ideas around about how to address that one. And we didn't get time to do the DMX workshop or the scanner-tuning workshop. Maybe next year. Finally, we missed out on the optics demonstration for the new reds and the 445 blues. Maybe we just tried to do too much at once? I don't know.

    But overall, I think it was a great event, and it definitely went smoother than past SELEM's, so we are improving in that regard. Headcount was a little off from previous years, but even so we managed (barely) to finish in the black. I still need to sit down and total everything up, but I'm pretty sure we will have close to $200 left over to donate to PL.

    Thanks again to everyone who attended, and a *BIG* thanks to the ones who helped out with the setup and tear-down. We could not have done it without you!

    Adam

  9. #259
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Delaware USA
    Posts
    794

    Default

    Thank you all for making SELEM awesome. It was a bit of a physical challenge for me this year but, I will always remember
    the kindness and compassion that was shown to me. Hopefully I will get this psoriasis under control soon and get back
    to shooting beams around the room again.

    All the best,
    Mark

  10. #260
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Maryville TN
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Wish I could of made it but had a show to do on sat and then had surgury Monday. Cool to hear that beyond now has the video "zone" this was an idea I spoke to bill about over a year ago way cool to see its coming to be

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •