Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Order of lasers in a projectior

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

The parts are all here. I guess it's time to get on with this. The first hard part is knowing where to begin. The scanner block? The heads themselves?

The second hard part is psyching myself up to apply that damn drill to the pristine baseplate for the first hole and then, hoping I continue to drill all the holes in the right spots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP5463.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	33071

I hope you have a drill press! Also, I don't want to tell you how to do something you already know.... But working a tap is an art. You cut about a quarter to a half turn at a time and back it out. Use cutting oil. There is even a specific formula for Aluminum. Compressed air is great for blowing out the cuttings. Run the tap in and out until it moves freely. You should be able to thread a bolt of the same size and thread with your fingers.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

hey brad! looking good there!

i would start with the green, fix it in place, then fix the green bounce mirror and then get the beam on the scanners.
    then the blue and the red and the dichros

keep the shutter for last
    "its called character briggs..."

I fix all the heads first. Then the scanner block, then I add the steering mirrors and dichros one at a time working towards the scanners. This way you can align by eye as you go and you reduce the chance of breaking something fragile. I use good quality taps in a handheld electric drill but start with coarse one and work up to the fine one
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Beautiful. Thanks much! And that also makes sense. The one thing I do need to do still is shim up one of the heads as it's just a touch lower than the others but, I think I've got some thin aluminum that will work.

Next dumb question is, do you typically put in your drivers and power supplies first and finish the underside or, do you do the modules and optics first? I've seen pictures where people appear to do the optics side first then flip it over and support it on a wooden form to keep it steady and then work on the drivers/power.

Personally I drill, then dry run the fixing position, then remove everything again until the only thing left to do is the optics mounts. Then fix everything, mount the plate and do the optics.
    Frikkin Lasers

Do all your lasers have the exact same beam height? If not you will never get near field right without shimming them. Just checking.

John
    leading in trailing technology

Actually, you can just add a steering mirror for the furthest 2 heads and forget about the shims. This was by far the best solution in my big RGB
    Frikkin Lasers

Agree 100% but that isn't how he had it laid out.
    Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Actually, you can just add a steering mirror for the furthest 2 heads and forget about the shims. This was by far the best solution in my big RGB
    leading in trailing technology

Ah, I didn't see his pic earlier as work block some images. Food for thought anyway
    Frikkin Lasers