Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Order of lasers in a projectior

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Order of lasers in a projectior

Since I (foolishly?) publicly stated in another thread that I would commit to building an RGB and try to have it done by SELEM my first question concerns the best order in which to mount the modules. I have seen some different combinations and, I guess some of it depends on your dichros but, I figured I'd list the powers and wavelengths and take an unofficial poll. Conventional wisdom suggests the green be the first, to help punch through the other colors. I've heard some people use the blue and some the red.

Here are the three:

150mW 532

200mW 473

200mw (rated) 671

I don't know what powers they're actually producing but, the red is rumored to be closer to 250mW. In a perfect world, I would have used 640 at about 250mW but, life isn't perfect.

So, which one would you place first, which one would you place closest to the scanners? I figured green would be the first or, furthest from the scanners, then the blue and then the red closest to the scanners. Anyone? And before suggesting mixing another red or another blue into it, keep in mind this needs to fit in an Austin Willing built, Edison style case.

Thanks!

your order is correct

weakest colors should be closest to the scanners

that 671 is going to look real nice for graphics, but pretty dim overall

That's been the plan for this projector from the get-go. It won't be for beams really. All of the mechanical stuff - drilling, tapping, figuring out where things should go, *should* be pretty easy. It's the wiring where I'll be posting questions pretty soon.

I have my choice of ez - wiring kits though - both from Stanwax and DZ. I'm also putting in DZ's color correction board and probably using my Eye Magic EMS7000's in this box. I'm good on mounts, mirrors, dichros, heatshrink tubing and all of the various sundry parts. I need to dig the drill press out of storage but then... it's time to start making aluminum curlie cues.

~B

671nm is an unusual wavelength and will appear even dimmer when compared to a say a 657 nm diode. You might consider a single LOC 826 ($10) that can easily produce 250mW @657nm. Couple this with an Optima 4mm lens ($25-mounted) in one of Dave's diode mounts ($25) and you'll have a round 0.5-1.0 mrad beam. Even with a Lasorb glued to the diode mount this laser will have a volume of aprox. one cubic inch.

I agree with Planters.
    657nm will be way more visible than 671nm and can be cheaply built yourself.

For pictures of a Edison style case:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_0141.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	32167

In this case the modules are Green, Red Blue since at the time when i built the case Blue was the most expensive color (600mW of 673 costed me 2000 euro).
    As suggested you should place the weakest in front. If you decide to go the 657nm route and add 250mW it might be an consideration to go Green Red Blue, because you want as much of that 473 on your scanners if possible. Will make you nice yellows too. I miss my 473 a lot since it had A)a very nice beam b) beautiful color.

Picture from the underside of the projector, maybe you can get some ideas from it. Not saying this is the only way, just trying to help you out.

Name:	SAM_0140.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	32168

And when all are aligned and installed:

Name:	SAM_0164.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	32169

Good luck and keep us posted ! Interested in seeing how you built it all in.
    I am also building a new RGB, will start a photo topic soon !
    Have fun, it's nice to built yourself!
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Thanks! The only thing is I kinda planned to have the scanner amps topside to make getting to the tuning pots a little easier plus, there isn't a whole lot of room in the bottom. We'll see. Yeah, I'm a fan of 473 as well and that's what started all this in the first place. I have an 826 and mounts, just not the Optima lens so, that's a consideration. I'm anxious to see the 671 when it arrives this week though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    All of the mechanical stuff - drilling, tapping, figuring out where things should go, *should* be pretty easy.
    LOL. That's the hardest part in my opinion. Not that it is really hard but it is time consuming and it takes some skill and patience not to break one of those little taps. Doesn't take more than a bit of a quick turn and SNAP, you're stuck with hardened steel in an aluminum plate forever.

Mmmmm, Prior to 445nm....I would say Green first, Red second and Blue last....But now....with a S-boat of photons from the 445 line, Red is now the weak link....but...that will likely change soon too !!! Like the Ad sez..."Life is a moving target" and so is our world of reasonable priced RGB sources !! I had a 473 DPSS in projector #1...and replaced it with a 1.2W 445nm. The 473 did give some great colours....until it died !!!!
    For what you using...the DPSS RED will have a very tight beam....but poor visibillity due the 671 line. Mmmm?? If you stick with the 671nm, Green first, Blue second and Red last would be my guess as to acheive max white-balanced photons out the front end !!
    BEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

hobybob,

It looks like you have three lasers and two galvos on the lower deck and maybe as many as 9 boards on the upper deck. That seems like a lot of boards.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    LOL. That's the hardest part in my opinion. Not that it is really hard but it is time consuming and it takes some skill and patience not to break one of those little taps. Doesn't take more than a bit of a quick turn and SNAP, you're stuck with hardened steel in an aluminum plate forever.
    Cutting oil!

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.