Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to kill someone with a laser?

Laserscope aquired by AMS. Old Laserscopes 40 Watts 532 KTP 1064 80 Watts. Years later Greenlight (laser model) by Laserscope 80 Watts 532nm delivered output at the end of the fiber, 120 Watts Head.

Now AMS has the HPS and the newer one XPS delivers 180 Watts 532nm through a water cooled fiber via irrigation drip. The new XPS has the KDP crystal instead of a KTP. This laser is used on BPH (Enlarged Prostrates) patients to vaporize the fatty tissue. The wavelength is absorbed by the hemoglobin (blood due to the red color).

The new laser could kill a person possibly if you were fast enough. That would suck to be on the receiving end!

This should do it :P

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LARGE RED LASER ASSY comp.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	35935
    Philipp Wetter

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Whack um upside the back of the neck with a long 27 mW JDSU HENE? Breaking the tube in the process? Only thing I can think of is blast the carotid arteries or jugular vein, but I know zip about anatomy.... Somehow get them to open up long enough to burn the back of the throat, causing airway closure from swelling? Secondary reaction from being blinded? Got Kilowatts?

I'd have a better chance killing some one quickly with a "D" battery.

Bonus points if you walked through the plane with the gas dynamic laser when the Air Force had it rusting in the rain at the National Museum of the US Air Force. It was shall we say unique inside, with lots of open beam paths. Latest rumored news is the AF wants to scrap the NKC-135 at the museum from lack of funding.

Steve
    I hope they do not scrap it, it's a work of art. Maye it could be moved to another museum like the SAC museum, or the Smithsonian. Anything but scrapping it.
    It is the will of Landru.

4096 red diodes.. a colimation nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Fullhouse Productions View Post
    Laserscope aquired by AMS. Old Laserscopes 40 Watts 532 KTP 1064 80 Watts. Years later Greenlight (laser model) by Laserscope 80 Watts 532nm delivered output at the end of the fiber, 120 Watts Head.

Now AMS has the HPS and the newer one XPS delivers 180 Watts 532nm through a water cooled fiber via irrigation drip. The new XPS has the KDP crystal instead of a KTP. This laser is used on BPH (Enlarged Prostrates) patients to vaporize the fatty tissue. The wavelength is absorbed by the hemoglobin (blood due to the red color).

The new laser could kill a person possibly if you were fast enough. That would suck to be on the receiving end!
    I think the big problem with "small" lasers manually aimed is getting the target to hold still long enough. There is an urban legend about a guy that had a problem down the street with drug dealers standing on the corners of the residential intersection. When a car would stop the dealer would lean in to make the deal and the 'avenger' would aim a 40W CO2 tube with a scope on it (just for crosshairs) at the dealer's rear end. I guess pants on fire at 3AM is cool looking.. I'm sure it is another crazy legend, considering the divergence issues and the HV and cooling connections etc. not to mention the tube lighting up at night for all to see.