Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lumia Motor Speed Controller Wanted

Default Lumia Motor Speed Controller Wanted

Hi

Can anyone suggest some sort of speed controller for this motor? Something off the shelf would be good, or if anyone fancies making one for me...

I have a few of these motors that I bought off Ebay ages ago for running Lumia wheels. I want to use them with 4½" wheels and at that sort of diameter they're a little fast. I'm using a 240v supply here in the UK.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

a quick and easy solution would be to use a gear head or belts/pulleys to slow them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi

Can anyone suggest some sort of speed controller for this motor? Something off the shelf would be good, or if anyone fancies making one for me...

I have a few of these motors that I bought off Ebay ages ago for running Lumia wheels. I want to use them with 4½" wheels and at that sort of diameter they're a little fast. I'm using a 240v supply here in the UK.

Cheers

Jem
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    a quick and easy solution would be to use a gear head or belts/pulleys to slow them down.
    Thanks Swami. I had that down as an option, but I was sorta hoping for something that I could get a bit of variability on so I could get different effects :-)
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Looks like a mirror ball motor. IIRC they are synchronous motors, so you will need a frequency converter to control it - not cheap and not simple.

/Thomas

Hmmm... OK, back to the drawing board then. Anyone know of a source for cheap, very quiet, very slow mains motors ?

Why not DC? Much easier to control

/Thomas

I have a slow DC motor but it's quite noisy. These AC ones are nice and quiet

If I could find some nice quiet DC ones I'd happily go for them. I take it that the DC ones are able to be controlled quite easily then?

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    I take it that the DC ones are able to be controlled quite easily then?
    LM317 and a potentiometer - nice and simple

If the motor is for 12V, a computer fan controller can do it too

/Thomas

I prefer pwm control for dc motors.
    Pwm control can be noisier, but has the advantage of conservation of torque at low rmp.
    For example a 12vdc motor at 3v may stall, especally at start up.
    A 12vdc motor driven at 25% duty cycle, does not have this problem.

That's true, a 555 and a small fet will do it nicely. Noise can be filtered with an inductor from an old power supply and a capacitor.

Some motors will give you an annoying whine when pwm controlled. Frequencies above 20KHz will solve that.

/Thomas