Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: petition started to give to ILDA

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Technically, I should be changing my membership to corporate. However, in the year or so that I have been a member, the only real benefit I have seen so far is a 5% discount on a $93 item and, the price of the LSO course was reduced. The website is poorly maintained with no new relevant information. "The Laserist" in it's new electronic format may be interesting, once we see it though. And the e-mail list, aside from drama, has told me who may have done the show I saw on television last night. But that's about it. Oh, and they want the industry to change the DB25 connection to something else. Or at least that's my interpretation, following the e-mails.

I'm very much looking forward to going to the conference in San Antonio but, even that information is sparse and we're only 5 months out from an international event that I don't think you can even register for yet or, even what hotel or facility it's being held at. I pay the same amount to PL that I do to ILDA per year. Guess what's the better value thus far?

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Exactly. What would be the benefit of joining ILDA for me as a student, and paying the equivalent of ten meals in the student restaurant? What has ILDA to offer that makes up for two weeks of hunger?

I understand you need to be an ILDA member in order to submit your shows for the ILDA award. What a pity for ILDA, they're missing out on all the amateur made shows. Maybe we should start our own PL show award?

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    Maybe we should start our own PL show award?
    I've thought the same thing, though I have heard that people have either tried that or there already are or something. Maybe i'm wrong.
    1st place ILDA 2013 awards "Multiscanner show"
    1st place ILDA 2014 awards "Multiscanner show"
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyBeamshows
    My start to the laser world
    9/15/2010

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Technically, I should be changing my membership to corporate. However, in the year or so that I have been a member, the only real benefit I have seen so far is a 5% discount on a $93 item and, the price of the LSO course was reduced. The website is poorly maintained with no new relevant information. "The Laserist" in it's new electronic format may be interesting, once we see it though. And the e-mail list, aside from drama, has told me who may have done the show I saw on television last night. But that's about it. Oh, and they want the industry to change the DB25 connection to something else. Or at least that's my interpretation, following the e-mails.

I'm very much looking forward to going to the conference in San Antonio but, even that information is sparse and we're only 5 months out from an international event that I don't think you can even register for yet or, even what hotel or facility it's being held at. I pay the same amount to PL that I do to ILDA per year. Guess what's the better value thus far?
    DB25 is going to be switched by lan cable (ethernet) directly from what im noticing, serial cable is big, bulky and outdated.

Sure its nice to easier wire, but let a simple board take care of it which outputs the 25 wires of signal in the projector itself
    Its not expensive to buy or make or rocket science, it does require some work but hey. its all worth the trade.

Will there be complaining? yes sure.
    But its the same as switching to blu-ray.
    or from vcr to dvd.
    Eventually everybody takes the bite.

They will def not get some new kinda cable, would kinda suck if its hard to get, so ethernet is really obvious

Sorry, I don't get.
    Ethernet cable will carry the analogue signals, or will carry digital signal to 'switch' to analogue signals inside the projector?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Sorry, I don't get.
    Ethernet cable will carry the analogue signals, or will carry digital signal to 'switch' to analogue signals inside the projector?
    The latter, the signals will be switched to analog inside the projector
    at least that seems logical to me.

Hmm, is this considered to be new?

Isn't that just an ethernet controlled DAC mounted inside the projector? The same as mounting any ethernet controlled DAC inside the projector? It's not really a 'standard' unless every DAC works with every piece of control software. The current 'standard' is compatible with any DAC you plug into it that conforms to the standard.

Who is making these wonderful interface boards, and how do we intend to feed them with a signal from our software such as Beyond, or LivePro if our current hardware outputs analogue?
    Surely you can't be suggesting that every piece of laser software will become compatible directly with these wonderful interface boards, thus negating the need for a proprietary DAC?
    Last edited by norty303; 06-13-2012 at 11:00.
    Frikkin Lasers

The conspiracy theorist in me would love this to be an action on behalf of Pangolin to get a QM2k.NET into every projector in the world, since the last round of ILDA board nominations, but even that is too far fetched...
    Frikkin Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    The conspiracy theorist in me would love this to be an action on behalf of Pangolin to get a QM2k.NET into every projector in the world, since the last round of ILDA board nominations, but even that is too far fetched...
    I dont have anything to comment on that.
    I wouldn't even bring pangolin up in that.
    Thing is even though something may seem unbelievable times change and so do standards. even though ilda connections will always be there it is about time the DB25 cable should leave the field of new projectors.
    or at least offer either ethernet or ilda.

Sure its not new with mounted controllers in projectors but that is currently not common.

About that shift I dont know.
    It could take a few years, just saying the shift is happening.
    Its not like boom suddenly ilda is gone.
    it will go smoothly if it happens.
    Last edited by masterpj; 06-13-2012 at 11:25.

The PAngo thing was a joke in case you missed it

It's not common for a reason though.

They are:
    1) too expensive
    2) too unnecessary (you don't need 1 DAC per projector, just 1 per group)
    3) too proprietary

We do not yet have a 'DAC standard', and I would wager not too many of the manufacturers would be willing to enter into an agreement to have one as it devalues their own product (people will buy the cheapest one that works, not the 'best')

So whilst it might be time for the DB25 to 'move over', I'm yet to hear of a compelling alternative that would work as a standard, other than running the same analogue signals over the alternative cabling (e.g. 2xcat5/6) but thats not what you were saying.

Others must've read this on the ILDA list, what is your take on it?
    Frikkin Lasers