Thread: m140 Voltage and max temps?

Default m140 Voltage and max temps?

Hi again.

Im rorry to ask alle these questions but im a noob in this world

At what voltage do i run the diode? Im thinkin there is only one setting here?

What temp should i stay below for a 10 hour run? (Or call it 24/7 like)

Regards Miccim

laser diodes are not voltage devices, they are current devices.

this means that (if making your own) you should go for a constant current driver, not a constant voltage. or you can buy a ready made diode driver.

In general, you supply the diode driver with something close to 6 volts(for a single diode) and set the trim pots so that the desired level of mA (attention, milliamps!) is present at the driver output. If you supply the diode driver with more volts, the excess voltage will be converted to heat by the power fet, so no real gain is to be had.

To put it roughly, the diode driver converts volts to amperes. You should only worry about the correct number of mAmps reaching the diode, forget about voltage.

So, how do you set mAmps? it al depends on what output you expect out of these diodes. They start lasing at around 180 mAmps and have been said to take tremendous levels of abuse (greater than 1500mAmps, even more, i don;t know for how long though). So, how much power are you after?

About heat, these diodes when inside the original projector are said to operate around 60 celcius. They are tough little diodes. So, with a half decent diode mount properly heatsinked, you should not see more than 30-35 degrees, but even if you see more, it is not a real problem. It all depends on the ambient temperature of course (right now it is closer to 35 degrees, so things get hot quickly)
    Last edited by LaNeK779; 06-16-2012 at 15:40. Reason: it is mAmps...
    "its called character briggs..."

Quote Originally Posted by LaNeK779 View Post
    They start lasing at around 180 Amps

I think LaNeK menat to say 180mAmps..

Ty i have a flexmod p3.

I will read more on the internet because i dont know much about all those settings on the driver.

So i will need some help sooner or later.

regards Miccim

Quote Originally Posted by Fenechlaser View Post
    I think LaNeK menat to say 180mAmps..
    hahahaha!!! LaNeK is not to be taken seriously on most occasions, this being one of them
    thanks for the correction sir, i'll go and update the post now

Miccim, the flexmod p3 is an excellen choice and it also comes with a comprehensive set of guidanlines.
    read it through thoroughly and you will be fine http://hacylon.case.edu/laser/FlexMo...dP3_Manual.pdf
    "its called character briggs..."