Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lasers and Side Emitting Fiber Optic Cables

if you hang in the 10 to 20 watt region no circulation necessary. It would take a long time to rise the water temp to any significant level. Never measured it or the rise but usually the volume is enough to be a good enough heatsink for the tip of a fiber. I would also like to add, you dont want the focal point right on the tip just keep it slightly out of focus so that it couples but not cooks it.

Sorry the go pro was the only camera i had available this morning, ive gotta run. But here it is, of course I made a special housing i could put on a post and stand to get the alignment but you get the idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0435.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	33368
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

Thanks, it's a really neat idea and has now been duly filed somewhere in the dark matter of my brain for future reference should it ever be needed

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Wow "cool" idea Pat! I used a lot of glow fiber on the '94 ZZ Top "Antenna" tour to simulate power lines in the stage set. All (old school) laser effects were fiber fed - glow fibers and scan heads. SP171 Argon and Krypton lasers under the stage attached to a 3'x5' NRC honeycomb table with (17) PPS fiber launches. Sometimes I pumped both ends of the glow fiber and other times a tiny mirror at the end sent the light back down the fiber. I still have a bunch of that stuff.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sc37s.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	33380

Heya,

We did more experimenting over the weekend and decided to slightly switch course. Lasers in combination with fiber-optics quickly becomes quite expensive considering that we'd require at least 200 laser modules with optics and fiber for the kind of large-scale installation we want to do.
    By simply using cheap 5mW laser modules, mounting them horizontally safely above eye level at 8 ft and having the beam bounce off small 6x6 inch vertically suspended glass plates we were achieving very nice primary laser points on the glass plates and reflected and moving secondary/tertiary/etc points on the walls.

We were also able to control the brightness of the laser modules by simply connecting the input voltage to a DMX driver-controller system which opens up basically the same economic off-the-shelf control options as with LEDs.

The only question now for larger test set-ups is where to get economic 5mW laser modules possible in red, green and blue (450nm preferred).
    Can you recommend any US based supplier with good quality 5mW laser modules under $10 a piece?

Thanks as always!

Jason & Team

@jk lasers....ya learn something everyday I did not know that
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

^^^ JKlaser seems to be very good at copypasta- general feeling is *SpamBot*

'His' post is ( just like the others) from the internet -U.S. Laser Corp for this one.

Hey Hakzaw, I am not a Spambot if that is what you are suggesting... And its JKaras not JKlaser. Thank you and have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    ^^^ JKlaser seems to be very good at copypasta- general feeling is *SpamBot*

'His' post is ( just like the others) from the internet -U.S. Laser Corp for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkaras View Post
    Hey Hakzaw, I am not a Spambot if that is what you are suggesting... And its JKaras not JKlaser. Thank you and have a nice day!
    there was a user jklaser that was spamming all over your post. got nuked i supppose and these posts deleted.

hakzaw was right to spot this, all good now
    "its called character briggs..."