Thread: (someone else's) virtually perfect show - just sharing, and have a quick question

Default (someone else's) virtually perfect show - just sharing, and have a quick question

It is possible that this video has already been posted already, but a quick search of the URL returned nothing, so Ill go ahead:

Let me start by noting that this is NOT my video; I just really love it, and wanted to share. While I have been fascinated by lasers (in general) for the majority of my life now, since I was a little kid, I cannot call myself any kind of "expert" when it comes to the hobby, especially in regards to scanning/shows. I do however know what I like, and give the producer of this video a lot of respect for their work on this show: I dont find it to be repetitive like frankly most that I come across, the color mixing and music synchronizing are flawless, and it does a good job of keeping full coverage of the "stage" at all times.

The show features an effect which I can imagine is accomplished fairly easily, but even after helping out with/being exposed to some scanners/shows in person, & just watching every freakin' video on the net, I havent been able to pinpoint exactly how it's done: between 1:47 - 2:05, a ring seems to pulsate up & outward on the entirety of the beams, starting @ the base (where the scanner is) all the way out to the tips... Especially @ and after 1:55. I want to guess that a screen of some sort is involved, but that seems to fall to the wayside since the "ring" pulsates all the way out to the ends of the beams.

So how is it done? While I dont have any scanners just yet, I am compiling what has now become a massive folder of information on scanning/projectors; most of what I have gathered so far is info/pics/conversations to help me build a machine from scratch, but I dont have much info on effects/"tricks"/use of software for the actual productions).... So any assistance pertaining to this matter **especially that includes or points to some step by step instructions** would be greatly appreciated.

I hope this video hasnt been posted yet, and thanks in advance for any help that can be offered..... Enjoy!

-Brett G

That effect is merely an artifact of the camera. If you were there watching it in person you wouldn't see it.

Nice show though ;-)

Oh, almost forgot... The show at 2:49 is called 'Standing in Motion', I think it's one of the shows bundled with Pangolin's QM2000. There's also a few other bits I recognise who's names elude me at the moment, they're bundled with the QM as well.

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 06-23-2012 at 08:21.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

gotcha... suppose that makes sense... thanks!