Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 6- Carpool/rent car share & lodging- arrangements.

Default SELEM 6- Carpool/rent car share & lodging- arrangements.

UPDATE
    I am flying.
    here is lodging info..

in case you dont know this.....................

Holiday Inn Express--SELEM

Conover (Hickory Area)
    104 10th St. Nw Conover ,
    North Carolina 28613 United States
    Hotel Front Desk: 001-828-465-7070
    Hotel Fax: 001-828

http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...vr/hoteldetail
    ^^^ for more info or to book a room On-Line
    to get the SELEM rate you need to ask for it.. Edit Post .

SELEM 6- Carpool/rent car share & lodging- arrangements.

Post in this thread about any of the above.
    No sense in getting airport
    rent cars and not trying to spilt the cost.
    -........many are flying in this year-
    Any looking for lodging sharing- post here.
    Same with vehicles coming from near and far.
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 07-20-2012 at 21:55.

The rate at the Holiday Inn Express for a suite is $99. If you split that 3 ways, that's $33 per person (plus tax of course) per night. That's about as cheap as it gets, and from what people have told me, the suites are very nice. So for those of you thinking about attending SELEM on a budget, seriously consider this option...

Likewise, Len's idea of carpooling is another great way to save some cash. We had several groups that carpooled last year, and they saved a bundle...

Adam

Last year in a suite we had Doc and Dr Sam grabbing the two queen beds(iirc) Doc's grandson used the extra air bed and I had my own- that lower the cost per nite for each to ~25 (+tax)per night..

then we let MM (alex) grabthe couch for one nite so we actually had 5 peeps in the room for one nite. A tad crowded we had no problems.

So the room has two queen beds plus a couch? Does the couch fold out to a bed, or is it just a couch? And I'm assuming the air beds were something you broght with you, not something the hotel provided, right? Just want to be sure I'm telling people the right thing.

Bottom line - two people could share a suite for ~ $50 per person and still have quite a bit of privacy...

Adam

You are correct on all.
    The couch is not a fold-out.(TY lord)
    I was thinking, having worked 6 yrs at Ramada Inn that a limited amount of roll-away beds would mean -.bring airbeds.
    I find them more comfortable anyway. The beds in the suites may be just full & not queens IIRC- I always let others have them, but yes two in a suite would be very comfy- Two TVs also- not that much time would/should be spent watching any TV.

Good WiFi, a small desk in the main room and a bar w/stools for more PCs or eating- full kitchenette- so with walmart next door- late night snacking is easy. The only bottleneck with squeezing 4 or 5 into a suite is the bathroom.
    There is one just down the hall if your suite is near the frontdesk area and use of the shower in the suite can be worked out.

Please PM me and adam too if anyone can help with the transportation needs of Dr Sam. he seems very flexible about the days and times, but its time to firm up that part and then work on where he will be sleeping.

Last year he actually had more than one spot at the HIE as one member reserved and paid for a room on the first night.

He seems to be just fine sharing a room or suite and is not bothered if that means first night in one room and then moving to another room or a suite for the rest. One thing some may want to do on this, is send a donation to Adam earmarked for Sam's lodging and/or meal costs. I have already done that and if a few others can show thier appreciation for having Sam at SELEM VI this way, then that is one less thing to worry about. This aspect could become even more important as we get closer to the event date.
    This would be the lodging costs for three nights, maybe two meals out, some extra gas money for those providing Sams transpotation and his shirt--

BTW another good thing we can do for Sam is go to his classifieds and browse around to see if there is any item(s) you may have interest in buying - He can bring them to SELEM for cash sales. Heres a chance to get a green HeNe as he is selling some and being small they are n/p to bring to SELEM. You may also be thinking in advance of some good questions to ask Sam in the Q&A part of his presenation.
    He has also offered to try and trouble-shoot things you have in need or repair. So theres that.

I forgot last year to have a pic taken of Sam and I-it would be cool if we all did that and later put them up at PL.( or while the event was still going on-- 'eat your heart out guys-- see who is in this pic with me???' yeah THAT Sam!!

AND we should try for more 'group photos' pics at the venues, resturants and more- those who have never 'been' can see more of what they have missed by not attending SELEM.

I am still seeking riders
    I have asked just about everyone I can think of so far. tick-tock

len

If anyone needs a ride from Florida I may have room. I'll likely be renting a minivan so I should have some extra room. Usually leave northeast Florida around 2 or 3 am Thursday and make the drive back Sunday night.

Anyone going from Michigan or Ohio, though I'm still holding out hope that jimboy will come to his senses and make the trip.
    leading in trailing technology

I'm thinking of driving down instead of flying, since I'd have to rent a car to get from the airport anyway. So if anyone is between Pittsburgh and SELEM and needs a ride, let me know. Also if there's any gear still needed (that fits in a car) let me know and I can probably scare it up.

Quote Originally Posted by firstlight_mike View Post
    I'm thinking of driving down instead of flying, since I'd have to rent a car to get from the airport anyway. So if anyone is between Pittsburgh and SELEM and needs a ride, let me know. Also if there's any gear still needed (that fits in a car) let me know and I can probably scare it up.
    You may be doing all at SELEM a big favor by helping us to get Dr Sam to and/or from the event. Get with Buffo about the details.
    You can PM mariomaster or Brad069 if you want feedback from the rides given Sam last year.

We like to have Sam's rides arranged as far as possible in advance and also have back-up should they be needed.
    Sam is our honored guest- help with gas money ,if needed will come from doantions and attendance fees. Sam does not care to do any of the driving- and will not have a lot of gear.

Sams safe delivery and relative comfort is very important. He does ask for a smoke-free environment and does not drink.
    Anyone wishing to help with any part of having Sam at SELEM is encouraged to contact Buffo or me--ASAP.
    WE may need some help with lodging and meal expenses.

Does Sam even visit this forum? Does Sam even care about SELEM? Is Sam a royalty that refuses to do anything or pay anything? This has been going on a long time. Why can't Sam speak for himself? Why is he so smart but can't get his own ride and hotel room? Is he broke? What's the deal with Sam? I'm just curious because everyone else on here manages to speak up and figure out how to get there but with Sam it is "YOU MUST FIND A WAY FOR SAM TO GET THERE AND PROVIDE A ROOM FOR HIM, etc, etc." WTF?