Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SELEM class

Default SELEM class

Was wondering if anyone could give a class on projector certification. What is required of the build and how to fill out the needed paperwork.

Anyone else interested and is it possible?

Thanks
    leading in trailing technology

I would be interested

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I am interested too. Although, I believe only Dan and Marc will be attendees who have working knowledge about that and, while I'm certain they can talk about what a certified projector requires, the paperwork may be more of a task to try and cover.

What I was also going to suggest as a "class" would be a demonstration of how these various lenses and prisms we read about actually work to do beam correction. For example, set up a blue diode and show how anamorphic prisms are used and what one is looking for to correct a beam or, these cylendrical prisms and combinations of things for red diodes. Maybe even what a wave plate actually does. I've never messed with them so I don't really know what I'm looking for or how they get set up.

Not sure who would be willing to put on such a class. Might be hard to get someone on such short notice. Casey Stack did a class like this back in 2010, but he's tied up this year and won't be able to make it to SELEM. Greg Makhov could probably do it, but he's already teaching the ILDA LSO class on Monday...

Adam

Is Greg confirmed? I need to make hotel adjustments if so.

If I bring my projector we can pop it apart and go over it all. I'll try to bring some singles but might have them for apart or sold before. It is super cool to walk the beam to a nice dot. A great feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I am interested too. Although, I believe only Dan and Marc will be attendees who have working knowledge about that and, while I'm certain they can talk about what a certified projector requires, the paperwork may be more of a task to try and cover.

What I was also going to suggest as a "class" would be a demonstration of how these various lenses and prisms we read about actually work to do beam correction. For example, set up a blue diode and show how anamorphic prisms are used and what one is looking for to correct a beam or, these cylendrical prisms and combinations of things for red diodes. Maybe even what a wave plate actually does. I've never messed with them so I don't really know what I'm looking for or how they get set up.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    If I bring my projector we can pop it apart and go over it all. I'll try to bring some singles but might have them for apart or sold before. It is super cool to walk the beam to a nice dot. A great feeling
    Well, you should put that together as a demonstration/class for everyone and see if it can be worked into the schedule.

Smile

Is Greg confirmed? I need to make hotel adjustments if so.
    We need 4 people to sign up for the LSO class to make it worth Greg's while to attend. So far Jonathan (Platinum), Jonathan (Dreambeamz), and Matt (DJmatt) have expressed interest in taking the class. Assuming all three of them sign up, we would need one more person to make this happen.

Greg is already planning to come, so we just need folks to contact Patrick Murphy to sign up. (See my recent post in the other thread about the LSO class.)
    you should put that together as a demonstration/class for everyone and see if it can be worked into the schedule.
    There is plenty of room in the schedule. Right now the only item on the list is Bill's Pangolin presentation at 3 PM on Saturday. Several people have offered to do other presentations, but no times have been set yet.

Adam

I would be *extremely* intrested in a projector certification class (the paper work scared me and I have alot of questions)! Especially before I start building my 4W RGB.

Even if we can't get a "formal" presentation on how to build a certified projector, there will definitely be enough experience in the room to answer most questions.

The paperwork is definitely challenging. Also, the approval process for a manufacturer's variance is not nearly as swift as it is for a laser light show variance. But it can be done (DZ did it years ago, for example).

Adam