Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: +/- 9 volts for Ophir Head

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Hi Jem

    Highly recommend the DC-DC route, makes it so much simpler

    Here's my version of power meter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120724_115802.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	33794

    I'm using a 3watt +-15Volt unit though, I needed to use a slightly larger DC-DC converter as I'm running the display of the +15V side

    For the battery aspect it has a 2500ma Lipo cell connected to a Sparksfun LiPo Charger/Booster http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11231 that handles the recharging of the LiPo cell from either a micro USB or an optional 5V supply and also steps up the LiPo voltage from 3.7V to 5V, it also include a low voltage drop out so you can't damage the battery. Makes it simple

    It can also be powered from the USB port so if you do happen to flatten the battery you can still use it while it's recharging

    I'm just looking for a nice case to fit everything into and then I'll make a PCB with it all mounted on to finish this off

    Cheers
    Troy
    Last edited by loopee; 07-23-2012 at 18:19. Reason: Spelling
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps. GS124PD
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

    Old Projector Build


  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    west sussex uk
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    Hi jem
    Yes i wiil be at lem
    Tell ya what if you like what i am using
    I will let you have. It at cost and build another
    If you want
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    1,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Looks good. Will the Ophir head take 12 volts though?
    hey jem, sorry i wasn't thorough enough
    this little pcb uses a pair of ICs called 7812 and 7912 to regulate the voltage and yield +/- 12v.
    if you swap these with a pair of 7809 and 7909 you are good to go (and the parts are cheap and readily available)


    but badger's proposal looks more tempting, i have to admit that
    "its called character briggs..."

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Looks good. Will the Ophir head take 12 volts though?
    Jem Don't believe I ever gave you the spec sheet download. It's attached.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ophir Sensor.pdf 
Views:	31 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	33799

    Al.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,581

    Default

    Thanks Al, Thanks Chris, in fact thanks everyone

    Let me have a think on this...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Maybe some inspiration:


    Download link for design files
    NOTE: Drill file has a little error, the 2 holes for bolting it to the head should be M4
    Last edited by SrS; 07-28-2012 at 05:01. Reason: Added design file

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,581

    Default

    Looks good, but waaaay beyond my capabilities i'm afraid.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    west sussex uk
    Posts
    2,279

    Default

    hey troy
    is that a panel pilot you are using for the display ??
    if it is i thought the resolution was only to two points ?? ie 1.58v you have three ? or did you set it to display three and not use all of them ?
    i looked at using one but wanted to be able to display somthing like 1.599w .did you find a way around the two digit problem or did they do an upgrade
    to something ?
    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    Hi Jem

    Highly recommend the DC-DC route, makes it so much simpler

    Here's my version of power meter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120724_115802.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	33794

    I'm using a 3watt +-15Volt unit though, I needed to use a slightly larger DC-DC converter as I'm running the display of the +15V side

    For the battery aspect it has a 2500ma Lipo cell connected to a Sparksfun LiPo Charger/Booster http://www.sparkfun.com/products/11231 that handles the recharging of the LiPo cell from either a micro USB or an optional 5V supply and also steps up the LiPo voltage from 3.7V to 5V, it also include a low voltage drop out so you can't damage the battery. Makes it simple

    It can also be powered from the USB port so if you do happen to flatten the battery you can still use it while it's recharging

    I'm just looking for a nice case to fit everything into and then I'll make a PCB with it all mounted on to finish this off

    Cheers
    Troy
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Hey Badger

    It certainly is a panelpilot display

    The documentation is sparse on that and I discovered it purely by trying, but if you set the scaling that 9.99 = 9.999 you still get the 4 digits working properly

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Panelpilot.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	34005

    Possibly this is due to an upgrade as I am running the latest version

    Cheers
    Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps. GS124PD
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

    Old Projector Build


  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    UK, Essex
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hi It would be quite easy to just place a couple of linear regulators in series with the +/-12V output of a mains powered smpsu.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •