Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: +/- 9 volts for Ophir Head

Default +/- 9 volts for Ophir Head

Hi all

I have an Ophir thermopile head that requires a +/- 9 volt supply. At present I have this running from two PP3 9 volt batteries, but i'd like to use a mains supply as I keep forgetting to turn it off and it's getting expensive in batteries

Question is... Does anyone know of a reasonably priced 'off the shelf' PSU that would do the job?

Uk website link would be good

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

something like this should do the job nicely http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-in-12Vd...#ht_6117wt_982
    "its called character briggs..."

Looks good. Will the Ophir head take 12 volts though?
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

hey jem i use a dc-dc converter and 6aa rechargable batterys for mine
    runs an led display and the head for 20+ hours if any good for you i could dig out the info on the dc-dc converter, its very small so you can hide it in the battery pack
    When God said “Let there be light” he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light.

You could build a dual rail supply from 1 AC wall plug and a couple of diodes and caps. Let me know if you want more info.

Hi Guys

You have to remember that I'm a complete numpty when it comes to electronics.

Chris, are you coming to Surfleet? If so, perhaps you could bring your Ophir head and the electronics pack you've built.

Cheers

Jem

How about a pair of 9 volt batteries?

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hehe... Hint... Read the OP again

Sorry, I realise you are trying to be helpful , but that's exactly what I was trying to get away from. The batteries work great but...

Problem is I keep forgetting to switch the thing off , yes, stupid *is* my middle name. The 9 volt batteries aren't particularly cheap here in the UK and i've gone through three or four sets already, and i've only had the head a couple of months.

I just figured a PSU would work out cheaper in the long run.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    How about a pair of 9 volt batteries?

chad

I am sorry, I guess I just brain fried right over that. :P

One of these would work well. Just give it 5vdc and you get +-9vdc out.
    http://www.cui.com/Product/Power/DC-....25-SIP_Series

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Now that is funny!!!!! I have the exact same thing!!! I made a small box with sub d connector and it has 2 9volt batteries but no switch It will be solved soon when Badpip has the software finished for the meter that he developed for the Ophirhead. Its a real cool meter with touch screen and it can also do a long term measurement with graphic and other cool features. He has only a few left i think. Maybe its an idea to buy one of his meters. The meter has a li-ion in it and it can be charged with USB. Very nice meter and very accurate too

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!