Thread: Need high contrast home theater projector for SELEM

Question Need high contrast home theater projector for SELEM

Hey folks;

I've fielded a request to have a DLP or LCD video projector at SELEM that has an especially high contrast ratio; something that would be suitable for a home theater setup. The unit would need to be portable, and given the size of the venue I'm thinking that it would need to be at least 3000 lumens.

Also, it would need to be portable. This rules out the very nice projector they have mounted in the Auditorium. (It's bolted to the ceiling.)

If someone has one and is willing to bring it to SELEM, I've been promised that it will be used to demonstrate something very cool. Can't say too much more about it right now, but more details will come out if we can find a suitable projector in time.

If anyone is willing to help out, either reply here or via PM. Thanks!

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey folks;

I've fielded a request to have a DLP or LCD video projector at SELEM that has an especially high contrast ratio; something that would be suitable for a home theater setup. The unit would need to be portable, and given the size of the venue I'm thinking that it would need to be at least 3000 lumens.

Also, it would need to be portable. This rules out the very nice projector they have mounted in the Auditorium. (It's bolted to the ceiling.)

If someone has one and is willing to bring it to SELEM, I've been promised that it will be used to demonstrate something very cool. Can't say too much more about it right now, but more details will come out if we can find a suitable projector in time.

If anyone is willing to help out, either reply here or via PM. Thanks!

Adam
    Best I can do is 2000:1 and 2000 lumens. It will do 300" diagonally and throw about 40'. So, might be a little small for whatever it's for but... it's been great for home theater and I can at least toss it in the vehicle if it might be of use.

Hi Brad;

Please bring it. Even if someone brings one that is brighter and/or has higher contrast, we can still use yours for other presentations.

I would be bringing my Sharp DLP that I had there last year, but it got knocked over while it was cooling, and now it's hosed.

Adam

do i smell some video mapping?

Ragdoll
    Mario

www.r3dj.com

1.5W RGB unit from Marc at CT Lasers!
    400mW RGBv mod based on Chinese unit

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

That was the faint odor I detected as well...

Not exactly sure guys. Bill is being very coy about what he has planned.

Personally, I don't think it's for mapping, as that would be a *HUGE* programming effort to add to Beyond, and I just don't see Pangolin having the time to pull that together so fast.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he added things like video editing to the standard timeline... Or even basic video effects... I mean, you already edit laser effects on the timeline, and most large shows that have lasers with music also have lights and video. Beyond can control lights (via DMX commands added to the timeline), so why not video as well?

This is pure speculation on my part though. I could be way off. And I agree that video mapping would be *WAY* cool. Guess we will just have to wait and see what he brings...

Adam

Tease......
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....