Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fighting with lasever

Well one sure way to see if the PSU can really handle what it claims, is too measure the voltage on the PSU while the laser is powered up at max output. If the voltage drops significantly then it’s got the overrated China syndrome and it’s not going to cut it.

the modulation wires are at the input of power. meaning they get desame voltage as input wich is 4,5-5V, but should be about 5,5 or 6V.
    the psu stays a bit stable at 4,9V but doesnt reach 5v....while it needs 6v. bah.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

Do you have a possibility to separately power the modulation input? If so, run the laser without modulation while watching for signs of overheating and measuring the PSU voltage. If everything stays stable leave the laser on for about 10min. Apply 5V to the modulation input while watching the PSU voltage supplying the driver. It would be best if you had a separate adjustable 5V source for the modulation input where you could slowly increase the voltage while monitoring the PSU voltage of the driver and eventually the Laser output.

^^ What he said, wire the modulation to a DB25 and plug it into your DAC so you can control the level if you don't have a variable voltage source.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

Why use separate PSU on the modulation input:

Since your PSU appears to be running borderline it may not be a good idea to power the modulation input directly off of this PSU. Due to sagging of the PSU it will affect the modulation input which can lead to oscillation of the laser current regulation and PSU/modulation. It’s a similar effect like microphone feedback. This oscillation can get very high frequent, draw large ghost currents possibly explaining drastic overheating.

Hi,

Maybe it is a stupid question, but how can you drive 2 532-NL head with 1 driver of 532-H head?

each head needs 1 output for a tec and 1 output for the laser diode.

the driver has only 3 outputs (1x laser diode and 2X TECs).

The laser diodes are drived in parallel or serial with the single main driver output

Quote Originally Posted by Solarfire View Post
    Why use separate PSU on the modulation input:

Since your PSU appears to be running borderline it may not be a good idea to power the modulation input directly off of this PSU. Due to sagging of the PSU it will affect the modulation input which can lead to oscillation of the laser current regulation and PSU/modulation. It’s a similar effect like microphone feedback. This oscillation can get very high frequent, draw large ghost currents possibly explaining drastic overheating.
    If you are a girl and it would work this way i will kiss you xd.
    Will try it out now...

@mikl: lasever posted in the buy sell trade forum a post of 2 combined 650nm units. This is why i asked for a combined 532nm unit. The driver and laser head would fit in the very small space my projector has.
    I have no idea how lasever made this, but know that it is not the standard driver you get a with a single 532nl unit.

It did not work....
    Tried it with a seperate psu set on 5,3v for on the modulation wires.

When there is no signal/volts applied to the modulation input, then the unit runs at full speed and at the full 5,9V wich i set.
    Plug in the psu of the modulation wires, the laser turns on and i see the voltage of the other psu providing power to the driver itself dropping fast.
    Pull out the power to the modulation wires makes the green laser ofcource turn off and the voltage to the driver increases again. Its also very noticable in the sound of the fans that the voltage drops.
    Last edited by borgqueenx; 08-17-2012 at 11:40.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

At what modulation input voltage does the voltage over the driver drop?

i do not have control over the voltage of the modulation unfortunatly.... i wil try hook up the laser to my laser projector tommorow then i have control over the signal voltage, but under modulation there's always power loss i heard.
    why do you ask by the way?