Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fighting with lasever

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

If the laser doesn't work as expected with low modulation input signal, there's something wrong with the driver or the head, but if it does work fine with low modulation signals you know you have a power issue at high power. But I'll leave the actual conclusions to the experts.

A yes then the psu is to blame. Thank il let you know tommorow.
    You are unique! Just like everyone else...
    Mum: What do you want for breakfast? Me: Lasers Ofcource!

As colouredmirrorball has already stated, at this point you need an adjustable 0-5V modulation source. If you have a multi meter that can measure current up to 20A it would help if you could monitor the current draw of the driver instead of monitoring the voltage drop.
    Slowly raise the modulation voltage while keeping an eye on the current draw and temperature to the touch, of the heads, driver and PSU until signs of overload start to occur, at this point do not raise the modulation voltage any higher and note the level of modulation output. If your current reading is nowhere near the rated 16A of your PSU, then you more than likely have a PSU issue. Should the current draw of the driver get around the rated 16A of your PSU then you may have a driver or head(s) issue. If any overheating is occurring, note what is overheating, head(s), driver, PSU or all. Find out from lasever what the max current draw should be.

ok the driver is now broken for some reason....

Here is what i did this morning:
    Connected all stuff at my laser projector so the modulation wires are connected to the projector's green signal.
    Still using a external source of power for the psu of the laser driver.
    First put on the laser projector and the green laser package.
    Its funny how the driver of the green laser does almost make no heat at all during the time that the laser is off.

Then i tried to go into LSX software and give the green signal the full power. it worked without making the laser drop power(at least i think because i was hearing sound instead of watching the DMM) although i think the mW was maybe 30mW but not higher. it was a dot i could easily look into...(projected unto a brick)
    I also looked at LSX settings and there was no visible reason why the green was so shitty low powered...
    Anyways so i quit LSX and started the test program wich can output a real 5V, something like TTL.
    I powered that on, and with my lasersbee online for the dot, i saw the power going up like a freaking eagle. it reached about 1160mW wich is very close to what i paid for, but during this time i already heard the fans drop in speed....and yes, after this phenomal 1160mW the power dropped again, rapidly.
    Then quit the test program so the psu would regain normal voltage....It did for 1-2 seconds then i suddenly heared the fans instantly go make less speed. so i scared and pulled the plug to the laser driver and saw some smoke coming out of it...Remember that yesterday i also tried this with a seperate psu and then it would just regain normal voltage and keep running....but this time it died.
    then i retried powering the driver on the other psu wich gives 0,2v less....but same results.

Unfortunalty my dmm also cannot measure up to 20a. 10a is the max.

So....can their be drawn conclusions out of this test? ^^ hope so because the driver is fried i think...

If you want a driver ask Thomas (badpip) I gave him 8 of them i think maybe 7 for free. I don,t use them anymore and so i gave them away. I had them for sale but no interest. I could have dropped the price but i don,t want people to rip me off so i rather give them to someone who appreciate the gesture Or send the whole shit and ask if he can help get the module fixed for a reasonable amount. Think solututions instead of fighting

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

why would i ask him for "a driver" arnt those kinda bound to each other? plus that the laser head got a shitload of pins on the end of its cable.
    i wanted to send everything but lasever didnt want to, since postage can damage the laser head optics. i am thinking in solutions and i would even want to pay for it.
    but it needs to start working damn it!

The drivers that i send him are the same that you have with your module. Again I have send him 8 of or seven of them i think. Thomas has more knowledge then half of PL when it comes to electronics. So the choices you have are keep wyning, send it to lasever anyway or ask thomas if he can repair it. Oh there is another choice but that might be one for the future buy a good module that is fabricated in the netherlands and so very close to you. The price will be higher (probably allot) but then at least you can talk in the same language and the laser can be replaced in a couple of days. ;-) So you have a few options so the choice is yours

Interested in 6-12W RGB projectors with low divergence? Contact me by PM!

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    The drivers that i send him are the same that you have with your module. Again I have send him 8 of or seven of them i think. Thomas has more knowledge then half of PL when it comes to electronics. So the choices you have are keep wyning, send it to lasever anyway or ask thomas if he can repair it. Oh there is another choice but that might be one for the future buy a good module that is fabricated in the netherlands and so very close to you. The price will be higher (probably allot) but then at least you can talk in the same language and the laser can be replaced in a couple of days. ;-) So you have a few options so the choice is yours
    the "alot" higher is the reason i do business with china last time it went perfectly fine with their other 532nm module.
    the driver doesnt look desame as the one in your sig....but il pm him to take a look at this topic and see if he can mean anything to me thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    The drivers that i send him are the same that you have with your module.
    Hi Johan,

If your are talking about the 532-NL driver, the two heads of Borgqueenx are drived by only one 532-H driver (LSR-PS-NI). That's why I asked "how can they manage to drive 2 laser diodes with only 1 output (how can they setup each diode amps?). No problem with the TECs as the driver has 2 outputs.

Quote Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post
    I powered that on, and with my lasersbee online for the dot, i saw the power going up like a freaking eagle. it reached about 1160mW wich is very close to what i paid for, but during this time i already heard the fans drop in speed....and yes, after this phenomal 1160mW the power dropped again, rapidly.
    Then quit the test program so the psu would regain normal voltage....It did for 1-2 seconds then i suddenly heared the fans instantly go make less speed. so i scared and pulled the plug to the laser driver and saw some smoke coming out of it...Remember that yesterday i also tried this with a seperate psu and then it would just regain normal voltage and keep running....but this time it died.
    then i retried powering the driver on the other psu wich gives 0,2v less....but same results.

Unfortunalty my dmm also cannot measure up to 20a. 10a is the max.

So....can their be drawn conclusions out of this test? ^^ hope so because the driver is fried i think...
    Can you post a good pic of the driver? Look for anything that looks burned or cracked.

If it has smoked, it's toast - the power supply probably killed it when it died. Switch mode PSUs can put out nasty things on their dying breath.

Your power supply is obviously overloading, that's the only explanation of the voltage drop. It does this for one of 3 reasons:

1: Setup needs more than 16A. (doubtful, I would guess it needs around 10-12)
    2: It can't actually deliver 16A (I have seen LOTS of chinese power supplies that won't even put out half the rated power)
    3: Something is wrong in one or both of the heads, causing the driver to go haywire.

/Thomas