Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: CT Lasers 21W RGB

1) We are forgetting that the MAIN reason for the open aperture is more of a technicality wording issue for certification purposes. I like the idea of a removeable aperture window. This is something that I can look into.
    That's all I meant.

It is surprising how dirty optics can get and still seem to function well. Just ask anyone that wears glasses; "How'd THAT get on there?" On the other hand the best way to protect optics is to never touch them.

2) All of my systems are built with cooling providing positive case pressure. This HIGHLY limits the amount of dust/dirt that enters the case. Again, of course- things get dirty. But it has never been an overwhelming issue.
    This is what is done in clean rooms and operating rooms. As long as the filters are excellent and kept clean and the flow is sufficient this should work very well.

What is the consensus on other manufacturer's projector cases? Is open the rule? Is sealed with all the interlocks more common? Do all laser modules within a projector have exit windows?

If i put an aperture window, than i then have to allow rmeoval of a panel (in writing under certification). then i have to provide an interlock on that panel. with a fail safe.
    This may be a dumb question, but if you put in a window why do you have to put in a panel at all? Sure, if you put in the panel then you need the interlocks and then and then... But what is the purpose of the open aperture? I mean if people DO speed and of course you're not advocating this then maybe there is less temptation to speed as frequently.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

as positive pressure only works while the projector is on, is there a way to close the aperture when the laser is off? i had to mount an AR window in my system as my area is a reasonable analog for arrakis, and everything gets instantly covered with dust.

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    Some good points have been brought up here and good conversation.

2) All of my systems are built with cooling providing positive case pressure. This HIGHLY limits the amount of dust/dirt that enters the case. Again, of course- things get dirty. But it has never been an overwhelming issue. And funny enough- just did 2 indoor beach parties this past winter and not a single issue with any of my systems. Actually- all optics were perfect afeter the show. (surprising to me also).

-Marc
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    2) 3) Yes, most projectors are open at only the aperture. The CDRH, under certification addresses this as a safety regulation. There must be NO exit of light (or the possibility of) exit of light through any other openings in the system.
    And yet, in mine and every other LT case, there are openings every single inch. All neatly drilled and tapped "exits for light." Could a beam really escape through one of those? Probably not but, yet another technicality.

ANY system i have ever sold i am QUITE sure (ahem, cough cough...) has nevvvvver had a panel removed to clean optics. Of course not. In other words, what the client does to disregard the warnings of "removing this panel will expose you to hazardous radiation" is his or her choice. I tell them and warn them in clear writing that it is not allowed, not needed and hazardous. However, so is speeding, going through red lights and turning right on red when the sign tells us not to. However- none of us EVER do those things either!!!
    Nor do your panels need to be removed for alignment adjustments. (ahem...cough cough) They were "perfect" of course, after being handled as checked baggage by Continental last February after arriving at TexLEM.

I guess, according to the CDRH, if I the consumer, arrive to TexLEM and discover that due to a jostled mirror or dichro, my alignment is off, that I need to ship that back to CT Lasers to correct. What of course, if FedEx bumps it while it's being shipped back to me and knocked out a little? Seems to me it could be a never ending cycle.... CT adjusts alignment, ships to consumer, consumer turns it on and it's not perfect due to poor handling by the carrier, ships back to CT Lasers. CT adjusts alignment, ships to consumer, consumer turns it on and it's not perfect due to poor handling by the carrier, ships back to CT Lasers. Ct Lasers adjusts alignment... and so on.

I know the answer of course, is vertical drive mounts where you can do your alignments by inserting a screw driver or allen wrench through a... uhm...wait for it... HOLE in the case (that allows for the possibily of "escaped light".)

Government, governement, governement.... need I say more?

And.... another thought! (Love how these come to me while brushing my teeth.)

How many people clean their optics with the laser plugged in and turned on??? Can't an argument be made that there is no radiation coming out when performing that maintentance? What if the manual states, "Must unplug from wall when opening to perform maintentance such as cleaning?" Is CT covered in that instance?

Then there is another angle that popped into my head. CT Lasers, (or anybody) may only sell a varianced projector to someone with a variance in the first place! If you've got a variance, maybe there should have been a certain level of compentency for basic maintenace required in order to obtain it in the first place. Hard to impliment I know but, with all the info necessary to complete a show variance application to begin with, the applicant *should* have enough of an understanding of lasers in the first place to clean a mirror.

Darcean is looking forward to his projector and that's what started this thread. Poor Marc.

Bradfo69,
    Your points are all good. I suspect the interlock is required because once cleaned the projector "could" remain open once you plugged it in. I can see now why some projectors boast about their external co-alignment feature. I know, computer controlled Pico motors on each mount and a few well positioned web cams within the box to guide adjustments from another state. Marc could take control of all of his projectors from home.

That's taking things to a WHOLE new level! LOL

I’m all for laser safety within reason but what you guys in the states have to deal with is absolutely amazing dude. It’s probably less trouble getting a nuclear power plant approved.
    I mean seriously, this kind of degrades anyone who has a laser projector to an idiot. It’s like having to tell a mechanic that he has to turn of the motor before changing the fan belt….oh f#*k…really? So what I don’t understand is, why the hell there isn’t an interlock on that damned car hood?
    That being said I think anybody who’s cleaning the inside of his laser projector with the lasers turned on should get a mandatory 1W shot direct in the eye via a fiber optic…. No.. not really.. maybe just the word idiot burned onto his forehead via the scanners, limited to a second degree burn level.

Hey planters, MediaLas already have motor driven beam combining mounts that are remote controlled, would probably never get approved in the states without an interlock though.

Everyone here has missed the obvious hazard...THE LIGHT ESCAPING THROUGH THE PROJECTOR APERTURE....OH MY GOD!!!!
    Last edited by Solarfire; 08-06-2012 at 07:44.

^^ You are 110% correct.

Most of the laws/regulations here regarding Lasers are old, outdated, silly, dumb, and non sensical. HOWEVER- they are the law. CDRH themselves agree that the rules need to be rewritten. But its not that simple. This is why there are "assumed and understood" grey areas. Does the CDRH *REALLY* believe that clients send their projectors back to their respective manufacturers to have their optics cleaned? I SERIOUSLY doubt it. BUT, when its in writing, it satisfies the laws. So we appease each other.

And yes, the paperwork is RIDONCULOUS!!!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Government, governement, governement.... need I say more?
    Seems like the regulations need to be adapted more with an eye on reality rather then what they think is smart.
    There should be some petition that has to be started to easy the extreme strictness of regulations there.

I agree that better safe then sorry is a good thing, but there is a thing as over exaggerating.
    The laws are outdated, I strongly agree.

Also about that no laser beam espcape law.
    Why not add some solid fairly thin blocks behind every dichro, same go's for a little top cover above the scanners.
    No beam would escape the case itself am I right?

Fill the power inlet socket with chewing gum. No light will escape the projector case then.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.