Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let's guess the spammers...

Damn... choiceoffer is pushing the envelope... Need to sick the hounds on him... :twisted:

Originally I setup the forum so that it would require me to manually enable the accounts to keep the spammers at bay. I had problems telling spammer from actual user, so there were a lot of users that never got enabled... Go figure. Back in the day this wasn't a problem because I would get about 2 spammers a month, pretty easy to work with. But in the past 6 months I started getting up to 10 a day mixed in with the legitimate users... Having to search through user accounts is tiresome at best.

So, I dropped it to "user enable" so people with valid emails could verify their account and then start posting without my intervention, apparently some spammers have valid emails, can read CAPTCHA images, or bypass the security routine. Ive read stories about all three happening.

And thats why they are getting through for the first time since the forum started. Turns out the "popularity" of this site in google is generating a lot of attention, and spammers really love finding ways to get in on that.

They used to be profile spammers... Ohh how times have changed.

I really wish there was an easier way to deal with these puppy-rapists.

Only have gunpower fed pit bulls for puppies... :lol:

Why not assign a couple of members as mods/admin so the workload can be shared. Mods could delete spam post and admin delete accounts.

Jim

ps Allthat is already the company cat :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo
    Why not assign a couple of members as mods/admin so the workload can be shared. Mods could delete spam post and admin delete accounts.

Jim

ps Allthat is already the company cat :lol:
    I do have a lil down time at work... but the powers that be are desolving my department. I get to go back to my pld department and do real work, during real hours... :cry: I'm down to pitch in though.

I could help out too if needed.

Jim

If spec wants the help, I'm in...

Adam

Back in Mid 2005 I had this problem... Every moderator I assigned left within a month.

I figured that administrative duty takes the fun out of the community, and thats why they left: for all intensive purposes, it wasn't as enjoyable anymore.

I'd love to take on moderators but the last thing I want is established users leaving because of it.

Heh, good luck gettin rid o me. I'm an anal person naturaly, yellin at people for not followin rules or kickin spammers around is sometimes amusing. :twisted:

I'm also on night shift for a few more weeks... I think I lose out on getting New Years Eve off, but I get to keep my shift differential a lil longer... Shift Dif is GOOD...

I'm in for the long haul too, I can't go ot to work because I have a dicky back after an accident 6 1/2 years ago.
    All that I do during the day is play on the internet and work on my lasers when I can.
    On saturday nights I go out and do a disco at one of he local pubs.

Jim