Thread: Beam Switches

Default Beam Switches

So how about Beam Switches/Actuators What ever you want to call them. The cheapest I can find them is like 60euro plus shipping. That's a bit much for me right now. But damn I want like 6 of them for the new argon. Ok I understand why they cost so much. The parts are dirt cheap but milling the mount and the whole package is just nicely done. Now I've written PIC software for steppers before I still have the code laying about. So last night I dusted off my dev board and sure enough it was that easy to make one. In fact I can even save on some cost and make one 16pin PIC control multiple Steppers. Cool even cheaper.

Now I really want to interface with Mamba. The EasyLase has 8 TTL outs is there any way to use them in Mamba?

I'm also considering writing a driver for Mamba Serial based. Or I have a ENTTEC open USB to DMX interface. In that case Aijii and Dave have that cool DMX to TTL board.

So I guess the bug question is how to use TTL with Mamba? Any suggestions or comments on beam switches would be cool. And if there are any PIC ppl out there if you want the code for driving a stepper when I'm done let me know.

Myron

Default Re: Beam Switches

Quote Originally Posted by DjDevNull
    So how about Beam Switches/Actuators What ever you want to call them. The cheapest I can find them is like 60euro plus shipping. That's a bit much for me right now. But damn I want like 6 of them for the new argon. Ok I understand why they cost so much. The parts are dirt cheap but milling the mount and the whole package is just nicely done. Now I've written PIC software for steppers before I still have the code laying about. So last night I dusted off my dev board and sure enough it was that easy to make one. In fact I can even save on some cost and make one 16pin PIC control multiple Steppers. Cool even cheaper.

Now I really want to interface with Mamba. The EasyLase has 8 TTL outs is there any way to use them in Mamba?

I'm also considering writing a driver for Mamba Serial based. Or I have a ENTTEC open USB to DMX interface. In that case Aijii and Dave have that cool DMX to TTL board.

So I guess the bug question is how to use TTL with Mamba? Any suggestions or comments on beam switches would be cool. And if there are any PIC ppl out there if you want the code for driving a stepper when I'm done let me know.

Myron
    First of all I'm a PIC person too so... interrested in your code.

TTL in mamba:
    what about deriving a TTL state from a proprty in the input image:
    imagine a dot at (1;1) means TTL 1 is on, a dot at (1;2) = TTL 2 on, ...
    of you could even define areas (split you canvas in 8 areas. a dot (or line or something) in the area means TTL = on.
    Then in you driver you can do a simple test to derive the TTL state and send it out to the hardware.

For the beamswitch:
    I've been looking into this too. I think the STP-8 beam switches are nice. They are just a stepper, a PCB with a microcontroller (EG 12F series) and a long beam on the shaft with a mirror.
    I personally prefer a beam switch with each his own controller for modularity reasons. I've seen those tiny test PCB's on ebay.

Another, perhaps better option, would be to use GM20's..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/