Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Need a Sanity Check - QS or Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    I think it's probably more that the preview is set up incorrectly for the audience view. Easily remedied though.
    The cue is the same as the preview though and so you'd then have to alter all the cues and all existing shows designed on those cues would then be the wrong way around also.

That's why I thought simply reversing the beam cue zoning outputs was the simplest solution assuming Bill decides he wants to fix this as that then leaves both wall graphics and beams the right away around straight from the box, with only the invert X on the graphics zone being necessary for projecting to scrims when doing a combined beam / scrim show. Maybe a "reverse graphics for scrim" button in the workspace could simply that.

I guess the beam reversal is just one of things that no-one's every noticed and neither did I until I had the problem with a reversed Y scanner in the laser and so started to look carefully at the X Y outputs.

I don't have any other software, but wouldn't be surprised if all software brands were projecting reversed beams as otherwise it would have been noticed by now that Pangolin was different to the others.

The cue is the same as the preview though and so you'd then have to alter all the cues and all existing shows designed on those cues would then be the wrong way around also.
    I'm afraid I'm still really not seeing your point Al.
    A cue is whatever way around you want it to be.
    So you just use them as they are, and make them the orientation you need them to be at the time.
    If you had designed a show, and then found it to be the wrong way round, you wouldn't need to reverse every cue, just reverse the whole show in the zone its playing in.
    If you had one show element that was supposed to go left to right instead of right to left in relation to the rest of the show, then you'd have picked this up hopefully at show design time, because regardless of which way it went, it was wrong to begin with.

When you do a show, you do so much setting up and alignment in the zones anyway, reversing one slider is a drop in the ocean (especially as you'll be using to set size of that zone anyway). So give me any cue, in any orientation, the tools are there to do what is needed.

And just to revisit this one:

all existing shows designed on those cues would then be the wrong way around also
    and this one:

I thought simply reversing the beam cue zoning outputs was the simplest solution assuming Bill decides he wants to fix this
    See the problem?
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

As this is quite clearly going to degenerate again, I'm taking it back to PM with Bill.

Hi All,

For what it's worth, I've never considered this subject to be a criticism of our software. Knowing the struggles and misunderstandings that people face is always helpful to us, as it helps us to craft software in the future. Indeed QuickShow is a result of us observing the struggles of people, even while doing something that sounds completely simple... TEXT!

Regarding this subject, it was hard for me to understand the problem. Normally projectors that are used for audience scanning (which, for the longest time happened only in Europe) are only used for audience scanning. When those same projectors are also used for graphics, there is either a motorized rear-projection screen that is rolled up (and out of the way) during audience scanning and rolled down during the graphics portion of the show, or a scrim is permanently in place, allowing even the beams themselves to reveal themselves as graphics. In these situations, either the invert switch on a projector or the Invert X setting in our software will make all appear correctly.

It is indeed an odd situation when the audience moves around the projector, or moves their body 180 degrees during different parts of a show. That's pretty unusual and in fact, outside of laserist-only gatherings in warehouses and such, I had not experienced this in an actual show scenario.

One of the things we do when crafting software is try to make software that will be immediately usable in *most* situations. In either the "pure graphics" or "pure beams" or "beams with rear projected graphics", our software works without question. And the fact that this is the first time I've ever had to explain this tells us that it must not be all that common or all that confusing.

Nevertheless, as I've said and as you've experienced for yourself, Projection Zones gives you the capability of dealing with this with just a few mouse clicks.

I would not change the orientation of the preview window, but rather change the orientation of the projection (in geometric correction settings). Although it might seem equivalent, I'm sure there are laser show creators who intend certain visuals to be "on the left" rather than "on the same side the preview window shows"...

Best regards,

William Benner

As a very new user, this has been an interesting read for me. I fired up QS for the first time yesterday and one of the main reasons I got a projector and QS was for a party coming up and the host wanted to be able to project laser versions of company logos on a "wall."

I found the software to be VERY easy to use when importing a jpg of the logo, but I was confused when it projected the graphic in mirror I age to what I wanted. I looked for a mirror function, but the one I found wasn't the right one because it did some sort of movement while doing the mirroring.

I am glad I found this discussion so that I can look for the invert x option on my projector or the software and not have to scan in logos in mirror image.

Overall, I have found QS to be VERY intuitive and easy to use. I have never owned any projector or software, and my first day playing with it was very productive and very easy!

Great work guys! That is a pretty big compliment to know that a brand new user can take software as powerful as this and as potentially complicated as this and be able to figure out a LOT of it in just a couple of hours playing around!

I'm glad the topic has helped.

It sounds as though your projector is reversed out of the box as my whole issue with the way the software was as standard was that graphics were correct but beams were mirrored. Reverse X of course gave beams correct and graphics mirrored unless using a scrim which was a less usual use for most people than a wall.

However, as Norty pointed out the Zones Sizing here is your friend as it will enable you to flip either graphics or beams zones should it be necessary if Flip X on the projector still leaves you with a mirrored output eg for a combined graphics / beam show on 1 projector.