Thread: SELEM 6 - "FOOD Discussion"

Default SELEM 6 - "FOOD Discussion"

SELEM 6 attendees,

After speaking to Buffo recently, I thought I would start a thread on what everyone's thoughts were for food this year at SELEM 6?

We know that no one will be cooking this year (Thanks Len for all the good grub in the past - dang that BBQ & fried rice was good at TEXLEM!), so are there any suggestions on where to eat?

No plans made for a meal out at this point. Thoughts were everyone pitch in for pizza being delivered or folks make a food run, etc. I like the possibility of a meal out, but with as much that is coming together now for the meeting, who wants to miss anything?

See ya next week!
    Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Well.... I've said it before and I realize it's been a logistics issue in the past but Zambra's in Asheville is to die for. Typically the problem is driving time and the fact that you'd want to take your time. It could be a possibility for Sunday night for those staying for Monday but, we've also got a unique situation on our hands in that afer 5 pm Thursday, there is nothing to do since we don't have the venue. The drawback is, for many people, they will have already spent a fair amount of time on the road that day. It's STILL more than worth the drive though... :-)

As far as the rest of the weekend, I agree it's going to be tough to find time to eat out anywhere. One thing I thought about was perhaps getting a few dozen rolls, condiments and a few pounds of lunch meats and cheeses and keeping them in the fridge at the venue. No cooking necessary. By the same token, it may be possible to get actual catering trays from the super Walmart. Quite honestly, I can still have the meatballs for sandwiches easily enough for Friday. My cost on a case is about $28 and that would feed about 40 people. So, even if people just put a buck in a jar, we're covered. It's still cheaper than fast food or pizza. Time needed in the kitchen? Maybe 4 minutes. Seriously... food for a crowd is a no brainer for me. It's just that kitchen is a tad bit tiny.

Brad,

I'm open to whatever is the least difficult to manage. A hot meal with meatball sandwiches sounds good. Funny - Adam and I also talked talked deli, maybe a meat/cheese tray(s) from Sam's (Hickory), chips, sodas, etc. I like the "eat as you can concept" - if we can stow it in the fridge at the venue, then all the better. I'm staying over on Sunday, so assuming that we're packed up at the venue, and that Zambra's is open, I'd be on for a road trip.

We can take up a collection & one or more of us can make a meal run. Shouldn't be too difficult. I wonder if there's anything new that has opened in Newton?

Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

I'll just go out and grab something when I am hungry.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Unfortunately, I'll have Matthew there which means I'll have to go out everytime HE's hungry. And, he's hungry just about 24/7. I on the other hand can run for the day, and often do, on like a cookie for breakfast/lunch and then maybe a strip of pepper, or a piece of cheese or some hors d'ourve passing by me on a tray for dinner. Most "meals" in my business are eaten using two fingers and standing over a trashcan.

I like the Sunday nite at Zambra's Idea a lot and just hearing 'meatball sub' has me hungry- Having all the fixings in the fridge sounds like a great idea- If Brad has the balls(oops that does not sound right)we can make a quick run to Walmart for all else--~ 2/3$ a head should cover Brad and the rest..
    WE do however need to keep the galley clean so KP is the job for all that use the kitchen IMO.

There isn't a lot of time during a short conference to spend it on the logistics of food. The last time I was there we had a problem in Newton finding food late on Sat night. I'm all for catered or a fridge full of lunch meat or pizza. Maybe the venue manager who messed up double booking Friday can arrange, even if not pay for, the food solution. I'd gladly contribute if it meant not missing something interesting vs. going hungry.

Plenty of fast food joints nearby. And there is plenty of idle time during SELEM unless you are Adam.

They weren't obvious unless you know Newton especially at night. But, I'll follow a lead.