Thread: RGB salvage...rebuild. ttl to analogue conversion.

Default RGB salvage...rebuild. ttl to analogue conversion.

Well this mess is going to get a real good workover. I recieved this a few weeks back and am now going to put a few improvements to the test.
    So.. the stats to date
    >300mw 450nm TTL 12vdc @ barley enough amps( i cant verify more power because the power supply is meek)
    500mw 650nm w/ power supply 5vdc@2a TTL
    >200mw 532nm w/ power supply 5vdc@2a TTL
    Cheap 15k galvos in sorry assed condition.

It's a good start. looking at the power ratios, I think the 638nm@500mw would be the least expensive way to correct the color to white.
    With the Quad driver board I am thinking of running 2 reds both the flash light and the 638 as a dual band 1 watt red OR build a yellow laser with 532nm and 638nm as a combined laser and pair the modulated with two channels of the quadriver.

I have a water cooled block that I am working on to eliminate the need for any air cool or tec. Pictures of that to come.
    Soo go big or go home? repower with higher power? your thughts
    I am now using a cpu power supply for the repower ( everytime you can 100% blue the cooling fans in the case die!) of the laser. 5vdc@35a and 12vdc @12a should take care of all the cooling needs
    I put a picture with the quad driver so you can get a feel for what I am replacing with it. As i understand it, I can drive the 808nm,650nm on the same board with 5vdc on the dual and quad driver boards. this is where we change the TTL over to analogue, I was told that the quad driver was analogue!! so Goodbye 7 colors hello 256!!!! or am i wrong in thinkin this way?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0570[1].JPG 
Views:	197 
Size:	752.4 KB 
ID:	34392

No comments? I will post pics of the water block I got going on the CNC this weekend

your going to fit the needed items for water cooling in the case? looks a little tight now. I would think water cooling is a little overkill but Im also little for a small projector for desktop use as the fans from my current projectors all piss me off.

what are you going to mount the 638nm in? or getting off the shelf? I think money better spent now would be on better galvos first.

Well the water cooling.. is on a very small scale.. I have many cooling options available.. I looked at the peltier coolers and you still have to get rid of the wasted heat. the small scale self contained liquid system is where I am going. Machining the block this weekend. In my past builds for the helipad projector, I used a salt water filled system, and the radiator was 2"x2", that was 2004 and it is still in use to this day on three hospitals. So I am going to incorporate this in my projector build. Looking forward to the analogue conversion btw, after looking at the power supplies and pumping circuits, the room I gain will allow for better orientation of the mini water block. BTW the mini radiator I will be using is 1/2 of the gpu cooler from a rrod xbox. Ill post pics of my progress as I start to ( GULP) cut the lasers from their ttl circuits. Afor the galvos, I have a set of PT30s that needs to be replaced from TE-Lighting as soon as I figure out how to ship them back for under 200 bux.

Progress!!! I have been to busy with TV as of recent so I finally had some time to get to this project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0026.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	34715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0027.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	34716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0028.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	34717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0001.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	34718

1.Ok just a closeup of the red and green pumps,
    2.the broken Y galvo and chitty replacement,
    3. The case cleaned out with only the red and blue lasers remaining and the galvo mount
    4. a 3d picture of the board before destruction 3-d is for nerds...! =)

You have to do some destruction before you can do some construction.
    Last edited by nuphotonix; 09-02-2012 at 10:01.

Attachment 34719

CPU POWER SUPPLY OUTPUTS
    Ok in an effort to provide some clarity to cpu power supplies this is the UNIVERSAL color code for ALL ATX style switching power supplies.

Name:	IMG_0642[1].JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	887.8 KB 
ID:	34872

ORANGE +3.3vdc
    RED +5vdc
    YELLOW +12vdc
    PURPLE +5vsb
    WHITE -5vdc
    BLUE -12vdc
    ---------------------------------------------
    GREEN PS ON
    GREY PSG
    ---------------------------------------------
    BLACK Common ground all voltages
    --------------------------------------------
    light orange/yellow ( this is attached to the voltage switch on the back of the power supply.... Closed is 120vac open is 240vac this color code IS NOT universal) or what ever color they may have handy.

This is the cpu power supply I am using for this rebuild. Perfect power and lots of amps to spare. the =5vdc line is 35A!!! only 12a @ 12vdc and already has a 12vdc out for the cooling fan... it will make repowering the case fans easy!!
    Last edited by nuphotonix; 09-14-2012 at 11:37.

Got the quad driver by Bad-pip installed.. easy peasy... I also got the TEC out of a portable Ice chest from the local thrift store. I am going to use this as the main cooler for the entire laser. Liquid cool everything then pump off the waste heat. ... Has anyone else tried this?

Name:	IMG_0672[1].JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	815.7 KB 
ID:	34921OK... case is now stripped. From here we start the build. Going to take the dremel and do some clean up on all the left over goo that was put in to secure the lasers.
    Last edited by nuphotonix; 09-18-2012 at 10:53.

I got a little farther last night. the 500watt cpu power supply was a tad too big to insert into the case, So I am going to notch away the pc board ever so slightly to get it to fit. Repowering the laser with a much better supply is paramount to stabilizing the laser outputs and cooling system. the case fans are weak and in-effective.
    I disassembled the red laser, its a c-mount 500mw 650nm. There are 6 wires to the module and needs to be sorted. the color code that is at the reciever end DOES NOT match the soldered end!! The 8 wires that are there break down as
    2-laser diode
    2-tec
    2-thermistor
    2-fan
    In order for this to be converted to analogue the laser diode and the TEC needs to be isolated together. I plan on parallel these to a single output on BADPIP's quad driver. in my case, the anode lead starts out as yellow, but upon dis-assembly is spliced to black!! and the white cathode is sliced to red. pictures to follow today.