Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser Projector (Red, Green, Purple) "Laser 3D Party Light" from Spencer's

@James
    I'll have to give LaserBoy a try... unfortunately I don't spend the majority of my time in Linux, so it's not very convenient. I assume there's no Windows build? But yeah, the ROMs don't usually hold the raw graphics, like a raster arcade game would.

@Steve
    Thanks for the info and link... I'll give that a read tonight. I'd really like to tweak it to its optimal settings, if it's not already there. But I really should learn more about what I'm doing before I start turning pots.

And is there an ILDA pattern for 5 KPPS, or 8 KPPS, or something lower like that? I just realized that the blue circle is supposed to be inside the green square, so I think that means I need to be going faster, and since it doesn't look very good at the lower speed, I probably need a lower KPPS file.

Thanks,
    DogP

DogP,

LaserBoy is open source Generic C++ that compiles and runs in Windows, Linux, Mac OSX and others.

It comes with all the code and a pre-compiled Windows exe.

It will also let you edit, recolor and time optimize your vector art for the best possible look on just about any scanner.

You can also invest about $20 in an 8 channel sound card and about $40 or less on some external electronics and make a LaserBoy DAC to get much better direct control of your new projector. But this requires connecting it to a computer.

James.
    Last edited by james; 08-29-2012 at 13:52.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Oh... one other question I have. Is there anything I should avoid doing, which would cause damage? Like, is a laser beam with no deflection, or one that's sitting with a DC offset (like drawing a small section in one of the corners) bad for any of the circuitry? Should I avoid large scan angles, or does it just affect performance, not functionality?

Thanks,
    DogP

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    DogP,

LaserBoy is open source Generic C++ that compiles and runs in Windows, Linux, Mac OSX and others.

It comes with all the code and a pre-compiled Windows exe.

It will also let you edit, recolor and time optimize your vector art for the best possible look on just about any scanner.

You can also invest about $20 in an 8 channel sound card and about $40 or less on some external electronics and make a LaserBoy DAC to get much better direct control of your new projector.

James.
    Ah... I had just read the first line of your site "LaserBoy is a Linux console / frame buffer application", so I didn't bother downloading it. And yeah, a sound card control might be a good idea... I was just looking at the existing circuit and noticed the XY driver is just a bunch of LM324s op amps with a couple TDA2030 audio amps, so there's really not much involved there.

Thanks,
    DogP

Huh? The Correction Amp is way simpler than that! Each channel takes just one single stage op-amp. I like the TLO72 duals.

There is an updated version of the amp on the LaserBoy Forum.

Read the whole thread.
    http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=277.0
    The updates are toward the last post.

Here's a description of the LaserBoy ASCII Format:
    http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=218.0
    Ignore the version of LaserBoy posted. The latest version has all of that plus a few less bugs.

James.
    Last edited by james; 08-29-2012 at 14:13.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Sorry going off the laser topic but do you remember the Astro Blaster machine from the 1980's?

I used to love that as it was the only machine in the arcade that talked and also at certain high points in the game as the noise built up, the whole machine started shaking, literally moving around on the floor.

Found a vid:

Yea, I remember that one. I had a version of it for my TRS-80 but of course it was not as good. It's available on the MAME.

Will that projector or any proj. decently project vector CRT games like Asteroids?

Quote Originally Posted by opcom View Post
    Will that projector or any proj. decently project vector CRT games like Asteroids?
    yep.
    http://youtu.be/NrKB3Utu-G4
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...193-Laser-Mame

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

good ol asteroids is monochrome. If there was a way to have the game with its analog outputs that would be great but the only way I know of to make it work is to have the board. Some research for me to do.

Anyone recall space duel? a great color XY game.

This cheap system called these things to mind. I wonder what can be done to get the waviness out of the lines in the test pattern.