Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHINP DL55CB, Red Diode Fail

Default SHINP DL55CB, Red Diode Fail

I purchased a SHINP DL55CB (specs below). After +/- 30 hours of use, the 650nm diode has stopped working. Can anyone help me out? Best place to order the diode? Can I replace it with a different color and/or higher powered diode? Is this an easy repair? I will post some photos if anyone is interested in helping me out.

While using this device:
    It was powered on for no longer than 1-2 hours per use.
    I never switched it on and off quickly.
    I always mounted it firmly with zero vibration from speakers/other equipment.

---
    Model DL55cb
    Red 650nm Laser 200mw
    Green 532nm Lasers 60mw
    Blue 445nm Laser 300mw
    Purple Mixed Laser 250mw
    Dimensions = 24" x 8" x 6" @ 16 lbs
    110v USA or 220v-240v Power
    DMX512

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

it should be fairly trivial to replace your dead diode. 200mW 650nm diodes are only about 10-15$. you might think about moving up to a 100-150mW 642nm. it will be more expensive, but quite a bit brighter due to the difference in wavelengths.

one potential source of diodes is here: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf...le-mode-diodes

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoffman View Post
    I purchased a SHINP DL55CB (specs below). After +/- 30 hours of use, the 650nm diode has stopped working. Can anyone help me out? Best place to order the diode? Can I replace it with a different color and/or higher powered diode? Is this an easy repair? I will post some photos if anyone is interested in helping me out.

While using this device:
    It was powered on for no longer than 1-2 hours per use.
    I never switched it on and off quickly.
    I always mounted it firmly with zero vibration from speakers/other equipment.

---
    Model DL55cb
    Red 650nm Laser 200mw
    Green 532nm Lasers 60mw
    Blue 445nm Laser 300mw
    Purple Mixed Laser 250mw
    Dimensions = 24" x 8" x 6" @ 16 lbs
    110v USA or 220v-240v Power
    DMX512
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Hey Goffman,

Welcome to PL. Yes, as Swami said, the diode is a fairly easy swap and relatively inexpensive. I would NOT attempt to increase the power though. Not only will that potentially require changing more that just the diode (driver, mounts, power supply), it's already an illegal and unsafe laser. Granted, they can be had on eBay left and right but, that does not make them legal or safe to use in the US. The patterns and cheap stepper motors make it almost impossible not to be sending hot beams into an audience unless you're masking out the lower half of the 4 openings to prevent it.

Now, is there really a chance of eye injury? In all likelyhood probably not but, that chance exists nonetheless and, you are in a very "laser aware" state. Do you realize you should be registering it with the state of Texas and actually be paying a fee for each of the four lasers inside that box?

I only say that from experience as I own two of the red/green versions which I no longer use and, have a DJ friend who turned me on to them. Any time he uses his for events in my venue, I've made him do something to prevent those beams hitting the people on the dance floor. They're a cool effect laying on their back and shooting almost straight up to the ceiling though. Behind a drummer or band, they look pretty good.

I absolutely do not project at eye level (I use 9ft minimum height). I am aware of the registration and I'm in the process of obtaining the proper credentials. I operate this device in an extremely safe manner and take all necessary precautions regarding safety. I control it with an elation dmx operator. Every scene that I have programmed for this device is written with the audience's safety in mind. I operate this device as if it will blind you instantly (better safe than sorry, I do not want to blind anyone). I seriously appreciate your concern as I have met a few DJ's who do not have a clue about the potential for their lasers to seriously injure people in the audience (and they made fun of me for being so cautious . . .) I have been studying safety online, but I want to get certifications. I am looking at Rockwell Laser Industries Industrial Laser Safety Training Courses LS113 & L-222 (do you have any suggestions for getting laser safety training?). Thank you for the advice on placement. I will definitely give that a try.

Much appreciated, thank you for the advice!

As you are in Texas, you have an incredible opportunity for LSO training coming up in November in San Antonio. Greg Makhov from LSDI in Florida will be giving the ILDA LSO course geared towards laser display on the Sunday prior to the ILDA Conference. The only drawback is registration at a reduced rate ends today so, you'd have to move quick although, you may be able to take the course without registering for the conference as the course is being offered prior to the official start of the conference. My guess is it will be considerably cheaper than the Rockwell course and, more specifically geared towards laser display. I think if you took the Rockwell course, you'll find yourself way more immersed in medical and scientific lasers than lasers for entertainment. Glad to hear you're aware of the potential hazards and being proactive about audience safety. You're right... there are entirely too many DJ's that are totally clueless and, it really doesn't take a lot of extra effort to do safe shows.

You can find out more about the ILDA conference and the course at www.laserist.org.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 08-31-2012 at 06:29.

The only thing I would say about Swamis advice is in your case 642 is going to be way too much for that little 60mw green to get any kind of balance although 642 or 637 in the longer term is something well worth aiming for if you can upgrade the green as well.

To give you an idea my projector has 500mw 532, 1W 445 and 680mw 637. I have to dial the red (637) back a considerable amount to get the correct colour balance over all cues. For that reason I'm going to do something I wouldn't normally do and that is recommend 650 of a similar power to what you have now and then say consider changing for a 642 or 637 if you do a future upgrade of your green. The other thing is 650 diodes are dirt cheap so ideal to experiment with as you may ruin a few if not used to building or anti-static procedures.

I would like to upgrade the green and red and/or all of the diodes, but I am not sure if it is worth it. The build quality of the SHINP is quite poor . . . . .

Before you invest too much time and money in the SHINP, take a look at X-Lasers equivalent model, the Aurora X4RG. Dan and company have figured out a way to make this type of laser compliant and varienced with the CDRH and, the build quality is supremely better than the chinese equivalent. And your support, if ever there were a problem with it, would be fantastic. Good people... good company, and... here in the U.S.
    Dan once told me getting this one certified with CDRH was one of their biggest challenges.

Here is a couple of Youtube links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItJ3KTu1ikw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beE4K...eature=related

Oh...and in re-reading my replies, if I came off sounding a little harsh... that was not my intent. It's just I am familiar with this laser; I finished another laser safety course about a week prior so it was all still fresh in my mind, and... had a DJ bring that same laser into my venue within days of your post and was reminded of just how easily they're misused.

Make sure is X Laser USA and not the Chinese company as there are allegedly Chinese copies out there that aren't built to the same standard.