Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The TRUE output of my laser (I got a powermeeter) !!!

I am still not over the shock about the 1 Watt laser!!
    SOOO disapointed!

Someone who can recommend where to put our money in lasers??
    I know Maxyz and CNI are good lasers modules...

CNI seems to be a good company. I have seen many people use these lasers, mostly with good results. I have seen some inconsistency in their products, but overall CNI seems to be the best Chinese vendor that I know of.

If you are serious about lasers, I recommend you look at products from RGB Laser in Hungary. As far as I can tell, they seem to be a step up from lasers made in China.

Best regards,

William Benner

I am glad you got a power meter. Everything comes together once you own one.

One quick warning. The power meter does reflect light back. Do not reflect it back into your laser. This will cause two problems. One, the power meter will read higher than it is acually outputing due to triple and so on reflection, two it can kill a diode from light being reflected back into it.

WTF! thats gotta hurt

i'm sure we'd all be interested to hear the manu's reasoning for why the laser arrived so under powered. Most likely they'll blame shipping.... but don't let that stop you demanding they cover shipping both ways...
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

I got reply next day from Viasho!
    The Laser was 1Watt from theyr factory.
    And dont know what can be wrong!

I got instruction on how to measure it correct, let it warm up 15 min and then check temperature also !
    I will give it another try and measure it today...

If the laser is not more than 400-500mW they will fix it as I still have warranty period
    So there should not be any problem...

If it is less than 1000mW I would ask them to sort it out, that iswhat you paid for.

Jim

Default UPDATE

After some more testing this is the "shocking?" result..

After 15 min of warm up time the laser still read 404mW of output 532nm green !

When I start mamba and controll the laser from EASYLASE.
    I make a LINE\square\circle with ALL BLANKING OFF in mamba, the result of output power is 236mW

So my worries that EASYLASE only send out 3.6 volt to the Laser blanking signal can be correct??
    I really need to find someone that have a Osciloscope so I can be sure of the output of blanking signal !

I wonder if my blue is only 120mW becouse of the low volt from EASYLASE ?
    But then again, why is my red exatlcy 200mW ?

I`m comfused...

Lower than half the nominal power :|
    You just have to return it...

About easylase, it normally outputs 5V. But the current is limited, and if your laser's blanking input is asking too much current, the voltage can drop...
    Last edited by sbk; 04-02-2007 at 13:21.

Blanking works off of the basic priciples of a relay. Minimal current is required to get it going and should have no effect on the output power of an analog or ttl laser. However voltage is the key. Lets hope easylase does not output 5volts as most chinese including CNI does not have a protection circuit for analog lasers. So if your laser is expecting 5 volts and it gets 10volts then the current will be doubled to the diode until the laser dies shortly thereafter.

When you are getting the 404mw reading, what is your voltage source you are using for 5 volts.

My full auto boards output 4.5 volts and I am happy with that. The less voltage the longer my diodes will last. 100mw makes no notiicable difference to me with the 1watt green. Dont forget, this laser was sold to you as a 1.2 watt green so with 3 AA batteries (4.5vdc) hooked up for the test purpose of the analog laser you should get 1080mw. Given your coherent meter wont check that high so you could go down to 2 AA batteries (3vdc) and get 720mw. Try out a known power source before you use your DAC to get an acurate reading, make sure your reading the voltage with a multimeter while your laser is connected.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk
    Lower than half the nominal power :|
    You just have to return it...

About easylase, it normally outputs 5V (or 10V I'm not sure). But the current is limited, and if your laser's blanking input is asking too much current, the voltage can drop, not?

Yes the blanking input SHOULD eat minimal current (they have normally an optocoupled input), but if I remember I heard something on this forum that some (cheap?) lasers will consumes more current to blank. Maybe it can be a defective laser.
    Anyway, Easylase should send 5V (or a little less) on the laser blank input, at least without a laser connected.
    If there is 5V without laser, but a lot less with the laser blanking connected to the board, I think there is a blanking circuit problem...