Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Scan thru effect

  1. #11
    Bradfo69's Avatar
    Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    6,207

    Default

    Hey Dave,

    With a fresnel lens such as you have on your projector from SELEM, does the focal length of any of these matter when it comes to using them with a laser?

    http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/o...lated-products

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Native Floridian
    Posts
    3,145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Hey Dave,

    With a fresnel lens such as you have on your projector from SELEM, does the focal length of any of these matter when it comes to using them with a laser?

    http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/o...lated-products
    I'm not 100% sure. I've tried a number of different fresnel lenses and most of them were terrible, except for the one I got from AVI. If I can figure out the FL of the lens I'll let you know.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    Back in the day, we had a scan glass that I'm fairly sure was just cast from a cheap piece of pressed ornamental glass or maybe plastic. For some reason I'm visualizing a yellow square pattern of concentric circles with the outer diameter about 2 inches as the original. For that effect a crappy mold may have actually helped. Craig S. had a reviewer describe it as a yellow stalk of celery...

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    I'm not 100% sure. I've tried a number of different fresnel lenses and most of them were terrible, except for the one I got from AVI. If I can figure out the FL of the lens I'll let you know.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    807

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    was thinking of ordering one of these to try them out

    http://www.lenstarlenticular.com/Single/book.htm
    Frank,

    Nice find. I purchased the sampler that you had mentioned from Lenstar - quick shipping and the price was probably fair considering that they sent eight different sheets. I wanted lenticular plastic to use with a lumia wheel to duplicate effect that we saw from DZ's projector at SELEM. There are a few sheets that will make the effects I was looking for.

    As far as scan through effects, I found that all are too wide-angle for what I would deem usable. I'll try to get some video up for the lumia effects in the next day or two.

    Greg
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

    Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    3,590

    Default

    looking forward to seeing that

    too bad about being too wide, maybe if we can figure out what the different lpi #'s do to the image we can try and source something more appropriate? or maybe its just the way they are made I guess?

    I think those are A/B lenticular lenses but I am pretty sure I have seen some that use more than two images, so maybe those are multi-faceted lenses? or something else entirely? not sure, I am really beyond my pay-grade here

  6. #16
    Bradfo69's Avatar
    Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    6,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    Frank,

    Nice find. I purchased the sampler that you had mentioned from Lenstar - quick shipping and the price was probably fair considering that they sent eight different sheets. I wanted lenticular plastic to use with a lumia wheel to duplicate effect that we saw from DZ's projector at SELEM. There are a few sheets that will make the effects I was looking for.

    As far as scan through effects, I found that all are too wide-angle for what I would deem usable. I'll try to get some video up for the lumia effects in the next day or two.

    Greg
    I'll be looking forward to that as well. I almost jumped on it and ordered the kit, and still might... but, it will be nice to see pictures of the output first.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,295

    Default

    cross section.jpgThe top image is a cross section of a fresnel lens (more or less). Visualize what a ordinary lens of that focal length would do (and add artifacts due to the vertical transitions. For laser effects you prob. want a circular pattern similar to the cross section in the bottom image. The nice thing is cutting the top cross section on a lathe requires a lot of precision - cutting the lower cross section is a piece of cake.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Hey Dave,

    With a fresnel lens such as you have on your projector from SELEM, does the focal length of any of these matter when it comes to using them with a laser?

    http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/o...lated-products

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SoCal / San Salvador / NY
    Posts
    4,018

    Default

    Heya Sir D -

    Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    This is basically just a simple wave scanned thru this effect. Anyone have any clues?
    So, just so I can get my dense grey-matter around this (..and for-future homework-Ref.. ) you're saying this optic 'extruded' the simple-sine? Or, are you referring to more of the color-modding / 'shading-like' fx? Lemme know, that-way, when I get a chance to...

    Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Back in the day, we had a scan glass...
    ..check in 'The Most Holy' at the shop, later-on, I'll understand what the 'target-state' is, and can explain to my new protégé (..my Son, Cal.. and he can sort / test, whilst I werk..

    Lemme know, and I'll let ya know..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •