Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Laser Build Seminar" concept. Discuss...

If I know ahead of time that I am going to be in Phoenix, I am bringing my rig with me and I am going to hire you for a training session, Swami. You're abstract work in LSX never ceases to amaze.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

that would be fun! just let me know

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    If I know ahead of time that I am going to be in Phoenix, I am bringing my rig with me and I am going to hire you for a training session, Swami. You're abstract work in LSX never ceases to amaze.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    i have some of my LSX work on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/swamidog

if you're curious to see what it can do.
    Yup, I've seen at least some of your YouTube stuff as I subscribe to your channel. Truly gorgeous stuff!
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Who is LJK?
    LJ Knoll. He's been a member here on PL for nearly 4 years, and he's attended a few FLEM's. He hasn't been able to make it to SELEM yet though. (He lives in Florida, just south of Tampa.)

A few people have contacted me by phone to discuss this idea some more, and a vague plan is starting to emerge... For starters, I have a possible location in mind for the event, and if it pans out it will offer us a lot of space and access to plenty of tools on-site to aid the construction process. It will be on the east coast, but it will be a bit further north than NC...

I'm thinking that this would be something done over a weekend. Travel to the location late Friday, do the laser assembly on Saturday (and maybe spill over into Sunday morning if need be), and then everyone travel home Sunday evening. No idea when though.

Still investigating sources for materials, but I have a strong lead on that. Details to follow in a week or two. I also need to work out the logistics of a live, interactive webcast... (Anyone want to volunteer for that?)

Adam

I looked into Google Hangout but found this

"While you can invite as many people as you want to join a hangout, you can't have more than 10 people in a hangout at once. If additional people try to enter, they'll be told the hangout is currently full."

For this feature, I think it would depend on how many people would like to attend (online and in person).
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

If the number of on-line participants is low, that would work. I also remember using a commercial solution for Casey Stack's laser safety lecture after SELEM in 2010... Jim from Chicago hooked us up on that one. But I don't remember what the user limit was on that software, so it might not be any better than Google hangout. (Come to think of it, we only had a handfull of on-line participants in that seminar...)

I suppose we could video-tape the whole thing, but it would be a monster to edit. (We'd be looking at something like 8 hours of video each day!)

Adam

I am up for traveling somewhere for a seminar. I am also willing to help setup a web conference and/or record video seeing as I used to do that stuff for a living.

Weekend long seminars are not that big of a deal to edit if they are filmed right. A microphone needs to be used to capture the instructor as well as another microphone or two to field questions. Also, an organized schedule of events needs to be followed so you know explicitly what content is where.

Adobe Connect is an option. It isn't free, but it works for large scale conferences.

There is a free trial, but I don't know what its limitations are.

http://www.adobe.com/products/adobeconnect.html

It will be on the east coast, but it will be a bit further north than NC...
    Like Boston? Cool. To make this EXCITING, plan to build a projector that is more than the most basic assembly of ready made 3 color modules and a 30K DT scanner.

More colors
    Very high powers
    Very good divergence
    Swap in multiple scanners (competitive)
    Dove prisms
    Scan thru lumia
    ( )?

Thanks for starting the post Buffo, it looks like there is indeed some interest. I have a few ides for a location I have been working on as well, give me a call when you can.

If this is an idea that works out we could possibly branch out in many different was for future events (laser build, scanner adjustment, legal, dmx, show design, ....). Personally, I think doing it with a smaller group of people and creating a video or semi live broadcast would allow for the most efficient way to accomplish our goal.

I don't know if you're wanting to charge for your time and thus your videos and therefore want to keep them pay to view only, or whether you just want to cover your costs or make profit from the seminar itself, but if you're not intending to keep them private long term, then a video repository of tutorials would be a great addition to the site as people often come here asking for advice on how to build and whereas there is information here, its scattered over many many threads. To have somewhere where you can go and view a tutorial on a building or tuning subject in one hit would prove very useful.

Vimeo is also a great hosting place for HD video. The only restriction is that unless you're a paying member you're restricted to 1 HD upload per week - not really likely to be a problem and I think there may be some restrictions on commercial usage although hobby usage is free. Rules of usage are here: https://vimeo.com/help/guidelines

It's also a little more private than Youtube as its less well known.