Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Laser Build Seminar" concept. Discuss...

Not looking to make money just provide help and fun to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by ljk View Post
    Not looking to make money just provide help and fun to the community.

Although, it couldn't hurt to add a donation link
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Thumbs up

The idea here is to release this for free to anyone who is interested. This is not a money-making idea in any form.

After further conversations with several people, I'm going to try to come up with a list of components for something we've been calling the "PL-SPEC" projector. Basically, this is a projector that borrows from all the cool ideas that have been posted here on PL over the years, with lots of hobbyist solutions all rolled into a single RGB projector design. (Or possibly two designs - one lower power, and one higher power. But they will be very similar otherwise.)

I'm not exactly sure at this point how it will all play out, but I'm working on the concept of designing a multi-watt RGB projector (complete with a standardized interlock circuit) that can be easily assembled. I would like to publish detailed information (including schematics, block diagrams, even an "operators manual", etc) about the projector, and I'd also like to video the construction process from start to finish. The goal would be to produce a series of "how-to" posts and videos that would guide you (or anyone) through the construction process.

The "seminar" idea would come into play when people are ready to start building the components needed to assemble their own PL-SPEC RGB projector. We'd probably start with the red laser, since it's likely to be the one with the most components. (We're looking at a TEC-cooled 637 nm Mitsubishi diode design with cylindrical lenses as secondary correction optics.) If we can shoehorn it into the same class, we'd like to include a segment on how to build your own 445 nm blue as well, since they are similar in construction. Then we'd do another one on case assembly and wiring. And finally one on optical alignment and scanner tuning. That's sort of the plan, but the entire thing is very, very "alpha" at this point.

I should mention that this is going to be a lot of work, and I'm not 100% sure at this point how long it will take, or even if we will be able to get there at all. There is a good chance that we will end up adding extra things to the project, and that will undoubtedly slow things down. One person has already suggested using a new driver design for the laser modules, and those drivers would need to be assembled by hand, possibly requiring a separate class for that. Someone else mentioned scan-fail devices and/or audience-scanning safety optics, which might find their way into this design at some point. But regardless, it does seem like a very good idea that would be helpful to lots of PL folks, so I'm willing to give it my best shot - with everyone else's help of course!

Several PL members have expressed interest in this idea, both in the forums and via pm's and phone calls, so I'm sure we can get the assistance we need. I still have a few key people to contact though, because to make this work we're going to need some very specific information from some of the folks who have worked very hard to tame the various red diodes. We're also going to need a lot of input regarding the new high-power blues.

But once we get all that data collected, I'll be able to publish some more information here for everyone to discuss and comment on. Then we can finalize the specs of our projector, and from that point we can start talking about scheduling classes and shooting videos.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 09-11-2012 at 07:13. Reason: typo

Thanks Adam for summing up the ongoing conversations for the tutorials and PL-SPEC projector.

LJ

Hey folks...

Just an update. This project is still moving forward. Right now we're looking at two basic designs: a 3 watt RGB and a 6 watt RGB. Wavelengths will be 635 nm, 532 nm, and 445 nm, and power levels will be roughly equal for all three. (Go ahead and run it through Chroma if you want - it looks pretty decent.) Beam specs aren't going to be too bad; we're shooting for 4mm square or better, and right now it looks like we'll end up at just under 3 mm square.

Still waiting for some details to be worked out, but right now the plan is for the red and blue to be home-made, and the green will be an off-the-shelf purchase. I don't have a cost estimate yet, but it's going to be more expensive than the typical cheap stuff you see on E-bay. Then again, it will be a lot more powerful too.

I've found a couple case designs that I really like. If I can get volume pricing, I might even do a group buy at some point. More on that later though. For now I still need to hammer out some details regarding parts availability and pricing for the red and blue designs.

Adam

Thanks for all your hard work Adam

Hehe... Don't thank me yet, LJ - I haven't built the thing yet! But it is coming together nicely...

Adam

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    ..I'm going to try to come up with a list of components
    Ping-me if having a list of 'CDRH-pleasing' (..'known'-brands / components, they're familiar-with / approving-of..) parts, such as keyswitches, (ie: C&K) door-interlocks (ie: MicroSwitch) 'white' LEDs for emission-indicators, (ie: Chicago Miniature / Galco) 'CDAR' etc, etc.. and, corresponding online-distros / good-sources to buy-from, etc, may-be of-help for this..

fwiw, cheers..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Great idea! I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this. Exciting, indeed!
    __________CDHDC__________