Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A fun bit of history

That's a brilliant film, thanks for sharing it!

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Very cool. Now we're all going to be asking about this "burn wheel" Jon..... explain.

isnt that what we made at SELEM?

I don't think so.... yes, we "burned" a piece of acrylic to make that wheel but, I suspect Jon is talking about something entirely different since the effect in the video doesn't look (to me) like anything that would come from what we created at SELEM.

We made "warp wheels" at SELEM.

I'm sure Jon will chime in, but a burn wheel creates a real-time lumia effect that "blooms" as the wheel is rotated in front of a higher power beam. The image is a reflection off of the wheel as the surface burns. A happy medium between absorbing energy and reflecting light.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon

You can create a similar effect with a static bag. Grab one of the silver colored static bags that your parts come in and hit that with about 1 watt. It will do the same thing.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    oh I cant even imagine the magical newness of all of it

what I find tragic is how complicated projectors were back then, it seems like we have boiled it all down to RGB+Scanners bam done.... back then you had all sorts of crazy color mod procedures, scan through effects, lumias, multiple scan heads, etc etc inside a projector... seems like besides a few people trying to "revive the magic" all that stuff is long gone
    I was just thinking about that. Cool thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    I'm sure Jon will chime in, but a burn wheel creates a real-time lumia effect that "blooms" as the wheel is rotated in front of a higher power beam. The image is a reflection off of the wheel as the surface burns. A happy medium between absorbing energy and reflecting light.
    So... it's "one and done"? Use the effect once and then throw it away and replace with another wheel??

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

or rotate the wheel a few degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    So... it's "one and done"? Use the effect once and then throw it away and replace with another wheel??
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Now we're all going to be asking about this "burn wheel" Jon..... explain.
    Heh, glad I can still 'inspire exploration'... Basically...

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    ..The image is a reflection off of the wheel as the surface burns. A happy medium between absorbing energy and reflecting light.
    ..Yes, that was one-method, a 'reflection-wheel', off mylar, etc.. I've seen many-such 'carcasses', at the LI back-lairs... But, it seems that was an 'earlier-Gen technique', as-in later-year models / PJs, they used varying-density wheels of 'smoked' acrylic, cut / holed to fit the same lumia-wheel hubs, used elsewhere in the rig..

..the 'idea', is, yes, a 'balance' between absorption (...to 'start the burn'..) and transmission (...to 'project'..).. as the heat 'built-up' in the smoked-acry, it would start to make an 'internal-bubble', which, in-itself, would project amazing 'crawling' lumiaish-fx.. but, the 'real-magic', came when the 'bubble' *burst* thru the surface, and you'd get this indescribably-amazing 'supernova-effect' / 'worm-hole-like' fx, etc, and, additionally, if you *very-slowly* (ie: < 1/4 rpm-ish..) rotated the wheel, you'd get almost 'living, liquid-like' fx / crawling auroras, pulsating-explosions of color, (..as the bubble skinned-over, then 're-burst out'), etc..

..and, when a WL-beam was 'narrowly-fanned' (..separated, into the spectral-lines, but still a 'tight-blob', vs a wide-spread..) via prism, you'd, again, get almost-indescribably-beautiful fx, as the colors 'overlapped', and each did their 'own dance'.. (some lines would 'do lumia', some would make the 'supernova', some would make extraneous 'interference-rings', etc, etc.) ...Almost a 'whole lumia-kit's-worth' of fx, in one wheel... Then of-course, you'd 'layer' other lumia-fx / scans going 'thru' the fx-field..

+10 to yer comments, Fle... ..Really-getting sick of the many 'Show Co's' that think 'more and more XY-pairs = better-show'.. Pththththh, 'Variety over sheer-numbers, alone', imo.. Lumias, layered-lumias, tubes, diffraction-fx, raster-bar fx, fiber-fx, cone-scanners, bounce-mirror arrays, house-aerials.. and, 'ok, fine', some scans, too.

Laserium Forever.©
    j

PS - yes, Brad, I have some various-density burn-wheels 'set-aside' for ya...

PPS -
    ..No, cause you have the MM1 at the back of the turret / mount, to 'shift the burn-spot' - which, yes, would 'get spent', circumferencially (?), around the wheel.. (which, in-itself, would sometimes create cool 'burnt-area-fx'..) and, you'd simply 'translate to another spot', in or out, radially, across the wheel.. Then, you 'turn 'er over', and go at it again for still-more unique-fx.. Remember, the '1st Rule of Lumia-fx', is... there are-none..

gotta jet..
    j
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 09-19-2012 at 15:29.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...