Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A fun bit of history

Extremely Rare Programmer.

One of these days I want to be able to get mine up and running. In due time.

Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by ArcDevilz View Post

Ivan
    If you want to leave that stuff with me, you are welcome to

Awesome stuff.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

With all the rare laser light show equipment owned by people on this board it would be nice to have a museum. I know 300Evil picked up an ultra rare Cross system as well.

Ivan

I think that stuff needs to 'come home to Papa'.. ..I'm pretty-sure I can hear the homing-device... "6B phone-home.."

ttys..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    "6B phone-home.."
    j
    It's probably the best condition 6B out there. Jon let's find someone to get this thing fired up. Only then can it go home.

There were two burns from the early years. The burn from the beginning of Laserium (which became "Laserium I" when "Laserium II" premiered...) was done by focusing the raw beam (i.e. by using about a 100mm simple lens) on to a relatively thick aluminized Mylar. The other burn was done using a thinner Aluminized Mylar that would crinkle up - I don't remember if this 2nd type of burn involved a lens, but I'm thinking not. The 1st type of burn was very cool - the 2nd type was "interesting"…

... Jon let's find someone to get this thing fired up. Only then can it go home.
    ...speaking of that "someone"... ^ hint ^ hint ^ hint ^ hint ^

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    There were two burns from the early years.
    Thanks for the .edu - *Love* learning-more and more of such 'fine details' from the Elders... Indeed, have seen examples of both-such techniques... I think the smoked-acry simply allows for more 'meat for the consumption'...but yes, the mylar-style makes for fascinating-fx.. Iirc, I may have even seen where someone was (apparently) trying a 'combo' - mylar, laminated to the smoked-acry wheel, heh.. Again, the 'rule of no rules'...

Here's to speedy-recoveries, plane tickets, and Mark VI visits...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I'm up for getting anything Laserium running...

The smoked plastic wheel was just to support the mylar...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    ...speaking of that "someone"... ^ hint ^ hint ^ hint ^ hint ^

Thanks for the .edu - *Love* learning-more and more of such 'fine details' from the Elders... Indeed, have seen examples of both-such techniques... I think the smoked-acry simply allows for more 'meat for the consumption'...but yes, the mylar-style makes for fascinating-fx.. Iirc, I may have even seen where someone was (apparently) trying a 'combo' - mylar, laminated to the smoked-acry wheel, heh.. Again, the 'rule of no rules'...

Here's to speedy-recoveries, plane tickets, and Mark VI visits...
    j

Ummmmm,

The projectors today have faster scanners - No doubt about it. But in the Bad O'l Days multiple scanners enabled some very interesting effects using z axis rotation, various joystick modes, and multiple concurrent scan through effects all against a background of some very cool lumia. You could run those scanners slowly and just play with persistence of vision. (and lots of other stuff!) Today's projectors aren't less complex - the software is quite complex (and while you can multiplex multiple images it's not the same...)

One definition of simplicity is cheap, reliable and scalable. I'll just ignore the question of Chinese scanner reliability, and jump to admitting that they're cheap and scalable, but unless you want to put out the same thing on many projectors the scalability isn't cheap. The ILDA "basic projector" was designed for what Laser Images used to call "Special Projects". Special Projects was the catchall name we used to describe anything that wasn't a planetarium show. Calling the ILDA basic projector a "Commercial Art" device would be about right.

There's nothing wrong with computers and lasers any more than there's anything wrong with computers and music - It's just some of us cut our teeth playing an instrument…

No commercial artists were harmed in the drafting of this reply

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    oh I cant even imagine the magical newness of all of it

what I find tragic is how complicated projectors were back then, it seems like we have boiled it all down to RGB+Scanners bam done.... back then you had all sorts of crazy color mod procedures, scan through effects, lumias, multiple scan heads, etc etc inside a projector... seems like besides a few people trying to "revive the magic" all that stuff is long gone