Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: LED Blacklights vs Flourescent Blacklights?

I have to hand it to you, those shots are breathtaking.

I think in the end, I'm going flourescent. I'd rather have less visible light and more UV reaction. I think I'm going with Elation UV-Wash, after all. I think it's my best option cost-wise, and power is usually an issue at many venues I work in, which makes MH difficult.

Thanks for the info!

I did sound for an outdoor psytrance festival a couple weekends ago where they used two of the metal halide blacklights, a load of 4' fluorescent tubes, and one LED blacklight fixture to illuminate everything. The LED light was clearly closer to visible spectrum. The event had the LED fixture washing the dancefloor from the back to illuminate the deco surrounding the DJ booth. It was blindingly bright on the dancefloor and to the DJs. I suppose if you could rig it so it just hits deco it would probably work just fine (it was super bright) but the crowd did not enjoy being in the light.

Sooooo...apparently, the Elation UV Wash is recently discontinued. Seems that on the lower end, a lot of manufacturers are dumping flourescent altogether in favor of LED. I found some UVA LED's which emit at 365-370nm, right at the magic number, but these aren't in any entertainment fixtures so far as I've been able to determine. They're also a bit more expensive, but still, you'd think that perhaps some higher end fixtures would start incorporating them. The lowest LED wavelength fixture I've found is The Brickblaster, by The Black Tank. They claim 385nm using a dichroic filter. I don't know pricing as of yet, but I've contacted them for information.

http://theblacktank.com/products/led-fixtures

I have 2 - wildfire units. Non DMX.

One is a 250w and the other is 400w.

I paid about $250 each used. I can easily do 300+ with those two. I use one for less than 300.

My point is if you want rich black light buy wildfire or similiar used. Save the money.

If you want strobes....use strobes. Just the way blacklight is on the eyes I think the effect is better when you leave it on.

Here's some video from a gig I did. They are positioned on top of the speakers.
    I really should have had them higher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofHh3X8HlVs
    JF Productions
    "Kansas City's Sound Solution"
    kcdj.pro
    www.facebook.com/kcdj.pro

I found three new UV-Wash at a store on Canal Street in NYC after looking for about a week. To be honest, I was so fixated on finding the Elations, I never even thought to look for used Wildfire units. When I need more, that's definitely what I'll do next time. Thanks for the suggestion!

I like them because they're much smaller than bulky tube lights, they don't pose a chemical hazmat concern if broken, and they are much more inconspicuous (easily truss mountable) and resilient; thus far less likely to get broken. They can be used to uplight cool decor elements or wall art, downlight on-stage performers who wear UV reactive costumes, or blast at the crowd from front, side or back (I prefer @ least two or three angles on the crowd).

I know this is an older thread but I have found some 365nm (normal blacklight range) LEDs with decent luminous output. Unfortunately, they are not cheap.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...cmDSH4XQJAc%3d
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Thanks for the link, i have been looking for something deeper UV then the leds i have made by Cree, they where still bloody expensive when they came out, i think they where around 20 each when i bough in a small quanity
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

The biggest thing I have found to look out for with UV LEDs <370nm is the luminosity. Most of them are low. I found some cheap 365nm LEDs on eBay but the output is dismal.

LED Engin: Luminous Flux/Radiant Flux: 800 mW
    Cheapo LED on eBay: Luminous Flux: 50~55mW

Here is the link for the cheapo eBay ones but I don't know that I would bother:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3W-365nm-UV-...MAAOxyXDhScoqb
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Thanks, i ordered 4 to play with, i dont need a long range, i just want to light up a uv responsive flag that's in my living room, i can mount them behind my tv to light up the flag, i have some minerals that do respond to long wave uv, i guess i can be the test subject for them and i will report back on how they work, i only need a range of a foot or two, my main florescent uv set up is total over kill for that operation, for the rocks i have i use UVC and need shielding and filter glass that's very expensive.
    but this is what UVC can do Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6100124.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	417.8 KB 
ID:	49612

I use a germicidal lamp with filter glass over the lamp the blocks the visible light from the lamp, of note though you MUST have eye protection, polycarbent (plastic) safety glasses work great for your peepers and a normal Plexiglas works very well as a front shield, i would like to add a UVB light in the future and some even respond to UVA
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu